Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Aw shoot

Aw shoot

Jim S

Thank you for your understanding.
--
Jim S
Tyneside UK

rf

"Jim S" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bwdt55mw0duo$(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Sat, 30 Jan 2010 12:32:20 GMT, rf wrote:
>
>>> It occurs with both IE8 and FF latest
>>> All pages should be centred.

>> FFS Jim that is not an answer to the individual questions I asked above.
>>
>> If you cannot answer my questions the I for one have no further time to
>> waste trying to guess what yours is.
>>
>> You are on your bloody own.

> Thank you for your understanding.

Bah humbug.

You still have not answered the bloody questions.

You want help here or not?

Jonathan N. Little

Ed Mullen wrote:
> Jonathan N. Little wrote:

>> 1) Fa-get-about-dit. The New Jersey it ain't that bad so don't worry.

> Oh, now, Jonathan. You obviously aren't from New Jersey or its environs.
> The correct phraseology is:
>
> "Fugeddaboudit!"

Wasn't sure how it is 'officially" spelt. I'm originally a Nutmegger but
here in central VA there are more New Jerseans than you can shake a
stick at...

>> 2) Replace frames with server side includes so that your documents do
>> not trigger quirks mode in the browser.
>>

> Well, you might be right about that but my concern here is only the
> phraseololgy.

? I guess I am being dense, I don't follow.

> Trust me. Until you've heard the story of my 1990 delivery of my Sony TV
> set ... well, nevuh mind!

Hmmmmm now that might be interesting.

--
Take care,

Jonathan
-------------------
LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

Jim S

On Sat, 30 Jan 2010 13:29:09 GMT, rf wrote:

> "Jim S" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:bwdt55mw0duo$(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> FFS Jim that is not an answer to the individual questions I asked above.
>>>
>>> If you cannot answer my questions the I for one have no further time to
>>> waste trying to guess what yours is.
>>>
>>> You are on your bloody own.

>> Thank you for your understanding.

> Bah humbug.
>
> You still have not answered the bloody questions.
>
> You want help here or not?

OK let's start again.
The website www.jimscott.co.uk is really the site www.jimscot.myby.co.uk.
Up until yesterday it showed pages of photos, all of which: titles,
pictures and nav buttons were centred on ANY browser I used (and still are
on mine).
Yesterday I viewed the site on a laptop which used Vista to display IE8 and
FF 3.6 browsers. In both of these the centring of images depended on the
page. If you flit through the local history pages you will see what I mean.
Sometimes the title/graphic/buttons is/are on the left sometimes one or
all of them is centred as I would like.
On my original website I used tables as placeholders and was chastised by
folks here as that being 'bad form'.
I went through the site removing tables except where there are several
pictures as they seem to work best. Indeed those pages which use tables are
working best and since there are 500+ pages, I wish I had never changed -
under the 'If it works don't fix it' principle.
I have removed the frame that was put there by my domain host, but I think
that was a red-herring.
The pages all validate as strict HTML with W3C.

Now ask your questions.
--
Jim S
Tyneside UK

Neredbojias

On 30 Jan 2010, Jim S <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> On Sat, 30 Jan 2010 13:29:09 GMT, rf wrote:
>
>> "Jim S" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:bwdt55mw0duo$(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> Thank you for your understanding.

>> Bah humbug.
>>
>> You still have not answered the bloody questions.
>>
>> You want help here or not?

> OK let's start again.
> The website www.jimscott.co.uk is really the site
> www.jimscot.myby.co.uk. Up until yesterday it showed pages of photos,
> all of which: titles, pictures and nav buttons were centred on ANY
> browser I used (and still are on mine).
> Yesterday I viewed the site on a laptop which used Vista to display
> IE8 and FF 3.6 browsers. In both of these the centring of images
> depended on the page. If you flit through the local history pages you
> will see what I mean. Sometimes the title/graphic/buttons is/are on
> the left sometimes one or all of them is centred as I would like.
> On my original website I used tables as placeholders and was
> chastised by folks here as that being 'bad form'.
> I went through the site removing tables except where there are
> several pictures as they seem to work best. Indeed those pages which
> use tables are working best and since there are 500+ pages, I wish I
> had never changed - under the 'If it works don't fix it' principle.
> I have removed the frame that was put there by my domain host, but I
> think that was a red-herring.
> The pages all validate as strict HTML with W3C.
>
> Now ask your questions.

I dunno, I've looked twice now in both ie8 and ff3.6 and see nothing
particularly amiss. You sure there's nothing wrong with your son's
computer?

--
Neredbojias
http://www.neredbojias.org/

Jim S

On Sat, 30 Jan 2010 16:42:37 +0000 (UTC), Neredbojias wrote:

> On 30 Jan 2010, Jim S <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 30 Jan 2010 13:29:09 GMT, rf wrote:
>>
>>> "Jim S" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:bwdt55mw0duo$(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> Bah humbug.
>>>
>>> You still have not answered the bloody questions.
>>>
>>> You want help here or not?

>> OK let's start again.
>> The website www.jimscott.co.uk is really the site
>> www.jimscot.myby.co.uk. Up until yesterday it showed pages of photos,
>> all of which: titles, pictures and nav buttons were centred on ANY
>> browser I used (and still are on mine).
>> Yesterday I viewed the site on a laptop which used Vista to display
>> IE8 and FF 3.6 browsers. In both of these the centring of images
>> depended on the page. If you flit through the local history pages you
>> will see what I mean. Sometimes the title/graphic/buttons is/are on
>> the left sometimes one or all of them is centred as I would like.
>> On my original website I used tables as placeholders and was
>> chastised by folks here as that being 'bad form'.
>> I went through the site removing tables except where there are
>> several pictures as they seem to work best. Indeed those pages which
>> use tables are working best and since there are 500+ pages, I wish I
>> had never changed - under the 'If it works don't fix it' principle.
>> I have removed the frame that was put there by my domain host, but I
>> think that was a red-herring.
>> The pages all validate as strict HTML with W3C.
>>
>> Now ask your questions.

> I dunno, I've looked twice now in both ie8 and ff3.6 and see nothing
> particularly amiss. You sure there's nothing wrong with your son's
> computer?

You have us thinking now.
It works ok in IE8 compatibility mode, but this page is giving trouble in
Firefox (on his) as it does not give the background image or render the
buttons correctly.
Can you try it for me at your end in both.
http://www.jimscot.myby.co.uk/bells/index.html
--
Jim S
Tyneside UK

C A Upsdell

On 2010-01-30 12:43, Jim S wrote:
> You have us thinking now.
> It works ok in IE8 compatibility mode, but this page is giving trouble in
> Firefox (on his) as it does not give the background image or render the
> buttons correctly.
> Can you try it for me at your end in both.
> http://www.jimscot.myby.co.uk/bells/index.html

The buttons are 88x31, which is a standard size used by some ads and
which therefore may be blocked by some ad blockers.

Jim S

On Sat, 30 Jan 2010 14:58:53 -0500, C A Upsdell wrote:

> On 2010-01-30 12:43, Jim S wrote:
>> You have us thinking now.
>> It works ok in IE8 compatibility mode, but this page is giving trouble in
>> Firefox (on his) as it does not give the background image or render the
>> buttons correctly.
>> Can you try it for me at your end in both.
>> http://www.jimscot.myby.co.uk/bells/index.html

> The buttons are 88x31, which is a standard size used by some ads and
> which therefore may be blocked by some ad blockers.

No trouble seeing the buttons altho' sometimes not where they should be.
The bells index page above should have maroon background with gold bell
logos repeating.
On the laptop I am having problems with, the background is white and the
'buttons' have a list-dot on them on one of the browsers.
--
Jim S
Tyneside UK
www.jimscott.co.uk

Neredbojias

On 30 Jan 2010, Jim S <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>> OK let's start again.
>>> The website www.jimscott.co.uk is really the site
>>> www.jimscot.myby.co.uk. Up until yesterday it showed pages of
>>> photos, all of which: titles, pictures and nav buttons were centred
>>> on ANY browser I used (and still are on mine).
>>> Yesterday I viewed the site on a laptop which used Vista to display
>>> IE8 and FF 3.6 browsers. In both of these the centring of images
>>> depended on the page. If you flit through the local history pages
>>> you will see what I mean. Sometimes the title/graphic/buttons
>>> is/are on the left sometimes one or all of them is centred as I
>>> would like. On my original website I used tables as placeholders
>>> and was chastised by folks here as that being 'bad form'.
>>> I went through the site removing tables except where there are
>>> several pictures as they seem to work best. Indeed those pages
>>> which use tables are working best and since there are 500+ pages, I
>>> wish I had never changed - under the 'If it works don't fix it'
>>> principle. I have removed the frame that was put there by my domain
>>> host, but I think that was a red-herring.
>>> The pages all validate as strict HTML with W3C.
>>>
>>> Now ask your questions.

>> I dunno, I've looked twice now in both ie8 and ff3.6 and see nothing
>> particularly amiss. You sure there's nothing wrong with your son's
>> computer?

> You have us thinking now.
> It works ok in IE8 compatibility mode, but this page is giving
> trouble in Firefox (on his) as it does not give the background image
> or render the buttons correctly.
> Can you try it for me at your end in both.
> http://www.jimscot.myby.co.uk/bells/index.html

Here's a cap of it in ie8. Looks exactly the same in ff3.6.

http://www.neredbojias.net/_aes/jimssc.jpg

--
Neredbojias
http://www.neredbojias.org/

Jim S

On Sat, 30 Jan 2010 22:11:21 +0000 (UTC), Neredbojias wrote:

>>> I dunno, I've looked twice now in both ie8 and ff3.6 and see nothing
>>> particularly amiss. You sure there's nothing wrong with your son's
>>> computer?

>> You have us thinking now.
>> It works ok in IE8 compatibility mode, but this page is giving
>> trouble in Firefox (on his) as it does not give the background image
>> or render the buttons correctly.
>> Can you try it for me at your end in both.
>> http://www.jimscot.myby.co.uk/bells/index.html

> Here's a cap of it in ie8. Looks exactly the same in ff3.6.
>
> http://www.neredbojias.net/_aes/jimssc.jpg

Thanks friend.
It seems that the problem lies with my son's laptop and not with my site.
Phew )
--
Jim S
Tyneside UK