Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Aw shoot

Aw shoot

Jim S

I just looked at my website on Vista.
The positioning of images on some pages are all over the screen while some
are centred as they should be. All are 'strict' HTML and CSS which validate
I thought it worked fine and I have tried it on all manner of machines, but
now realise that they are all XP based.
What do I do?
Would a move to XHTML solve the problem, because if so then that's the
direction I will go, but since there are more than 500 pages I should not
like to set off on a wild goose chase.
--
Jim S
Tyneside UK

rf

"Jim S" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:1a08k58m1w3wn$(E-Mail Removed)...
>I just looked at my website on Vista.

Vista is not a web browser, it's an operating system. You probably mean IE8.

> The positioning of images on some pages are all over the screen while
> some
> are centred as they should be. All are 'strict' HTML and CSS which
> validate
> I thought it worked fine and I have tried it on all manner of machines,
> but

> now realise that they are all XP based.

If you mean Windows XP than that also is an operating systme, not a browser.

So, what does "XP based" mean? Do you mean you designed them for IE6?

> What do I do?
> Would a move to XHTML solve the problem,

That would not solve the problem at all.

> because if so then that's the
> direction I will go, but since there are more than 500 pages I should not
> like to set off on a wild goose chase.
> --
> Jim S
> Tyneside UK
> www.jimscott.co.uk

If that is the site you are talking about then you are running the browser
in quirks mode, where IE for one carefully reproduces all the bugs back to
release 5. You are relying on those bugs and IE8 does it differently.

Change your doctype (or rather add one) to trigger standards mode and see
what happens.

BTW you have validation errors, apart from the missing doctype.

Jonathan N. Little

Jim S wrote:
> I just looked at my website on Vista.
> The positioning of images on some pages are all over the screen while some
> are centred as they should be. All are 'strict' HTML and CSS which validate
> I thought it worked fine and I have tried it on all manner of machines, but
> now realise that they are all XP based.

I don't think is it Vista per se, but that you are now using IE8 which
displays your site more closely as Firefox and compliant browsers do.
Although your component pages are All are 'strict' your assemblage with
frames triggers quirks mode. You were probably getting a distorted view
in WinXP with IE6 or 7.

> What do I do?
> Would a move to XHTML solve the problem, because if so then that's the
> direction I will go, but since there are more than 500 pages I should not
> like to set off on a wild goose chase.

No, XHTML will most assuredly *not* help your situation. I see two
viable options.

1) Fa-get-about-dit. The New Jersey it ain't that bad so don't worry.
2) Replace frames with server side includes so that your documents do
not trigger quirks mode in the browser.

--
Take care,

Jonathan
-------------------
LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

Jim S

On Fri, 29 Jan 2010 20:08:33 -0500, Jonathan N. Little wrote:

> Jim S wrote:
>> I just looked at my website on Vista.
>> The positioning of images on some pages are all over the screen while some
>> are centred as they should be. All are 'strict' HTML and CSS which validate
>> I thought it worked fine and I have tried it on all manner of machines, but
>> now realise that they are all XP based.

> I don't think is it Vista per se, but that you are now using IE8 which
> displays your site more closely as Firefox and compliant browsers do.
> Although your component pages are All are 'strict' your assemblage with
> frames triggers quirks mode. You were probably getting a distorted view
> in WinXP with IE6 or 7.

It all looks fine at my end on any browser.

>> What do I do?
>> Would a move to XHTML solve the problem, because if so then that's the
>> direction I will go, but since there are more than 500 pages I should not
>> like to set off on a wild goose chase.

> No, XHTML will most assuredly *not* help your situation. I see two
> viable options.
>
> 1) Fa-get-about-dit. The New Jersey it ain't that bad so don't worry.
> 2) Replace frames with server side includes so that your documents do
> not trigger quirks mode in the browser.

Any frames that are there were put there by the domain/server(?).
I use no frames.
I used to use tables to centralise all the pages, but was recommended (in
this group) not to do so.

The problem I'm raising now arises after viewing the site on my son's
high-res widescreen laptop where some pages are ok, some have the images
central and the buttons on the left and on some 'everything' is on the
left.
--
Jim S
Tyneside UK
www.jimscott.co.uk

rf

"Jim S" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:1hgcbg3fb6xeu$(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Fri, 29 Jan 2010 20:08:33 -0500, Jonathan N. Little wrote:
>
>> Jim S wrote:
>>> I just looked at my website on Vista.
>>> The positioning of images on some pages are all over the screen while
>>> some
>>> are centred as they should be. All are 'strict' HTML and CSS which
>>> validate
>>> I thought it worked fine and I have tried it on all manner of machines,
>>> but
>>> now realise that they are all XP based.

>> I don't think is it Vista per se, but that you are now using IE8 which
>> displays your site more closely as Firefox and compliant browsers do.
>> Although your component pages are All are 'strict' your assemblage with
>> frames triggers quirks mode. You were probably getting a distorted view
>> in WinXP with IE6 or 7.

> It all looks fine at my end on any browser.

Please report exactly which browsers and which versions. And you didn't tell
us that first up.

>>> What do I do?
>>> Would a move to XHTML solve the problem, because if so then that's the
>>> direction I will go, but since there are more than 500 pages I should
>>> not
>>> like to set off on a wild goose chase.

>> No, XHTML will most assuredly *not* help your situation. I see two
>> viable options.
>>
>> 1) Fa-get-about-dit. The New Jersey it ain't that bad so don't worry.
>> 2) Replace frames with server side includes so that your documents do
>> not trigger quirks mode in the browser.

> Any frames that are there were put there by the domain/server(?).
> I use no frames.

If your server is putting frames around your pages then it's time to get a
different host.

When I look at http://www.jimscott.co.uk/ I see a frameset. Here is is:
<head>
<title>Jim Scott's Website</title>
<META NAME="description" CONTENT="Photographs of Tyneside and around,
with link to Christ Church Guild of Change Ringers">
<META NAME="keywords" CONTENT="Jim Scott, Christ Church, North Shields,
Tyne, Bellringer, Bellringers, Belfry, Change ringers, change ringing,
campanology">
<META NAME="revisit-after" content="5 days">
</head>

<frameset rows="100%,*" framespacing="0" border="0" frameborder="0">

<noframes>
</noframes>
<frame name="main" src="http://www.jimscot.myby.co.uk" scrolling="auto">
</frameset>

That frameset is putting the browser into quirks mode. That frameset is also
nothing like I have ever seen a server put around a page. This looks very
much like a frameset you have coded yourself.

What happens when you view http://www.jimscot.myby.co.uk ?

> I used to use tables to centralise all the pages, but was recommended (in
> this group) not to do so.

What does that mean?

> The problem I'm raising now arises after viewing the site on my son's
> high-res widescreen laptop

The resolution of the screen has nothing at all to do (in this case) with
the layout of your page.

> where some pages are ok, some have the images
> central and the buttons on the left and on some 'everything' is on the
> left.

You didn't tell us that either. Exactly which browser and exactly which
version is your son using? Exactly which pages are ok. Exactly which pages
are wrong. Provide an example, with a description of how it is wrong.

What happens when your son views http://www.jimscot.myby.co.uk ?

dorayme

In article <1hgcbg3fb6xeu$(E-Mail Removed)>,
Jim S <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Any frames that are there were put there by the domain/server(?).
> I use no frames.

Get a standard hosting service that does not play these tricks.

--
dorayme

dorayme

In article <c9Q8n.4387$(E-Mail Removed)>,
"rf" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> "Jim S" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

> > Any frames that are there were put there by the domain/server(?).
> > I use no frames.

> If your server is putting frames around your pages then it's time to get a
> different host.
>
> When I look at http://www.jimscott.co.uk/ I see a frameset. Here it is:
> <head>
> <title>Jim Scott's Website</title>
>
> <frameset rows="100%,*" framespacing="0" border="0" frameborder="0">

To see this, Jim, use your browser's View Source menu. I am
surprised you have not seen this. How are you validating your
pages? You have obviously gone to some trouble to make them valid
4.01 Strict too - good, of course. How did you get them that way
without using the online validator from where you got your
'validated' logos?

--
dorayme

Jim S

On Sat, 30 Jan 2010 19:27:07 +1100, dorayme wrote:

> In article <c9Q8n.4387$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> "rf" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> "Jim S" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

>>> Any frames that are there were put there by the domain/server(?).
>>> I use no frames.

>> If your server is putting frames around your pages then it's time to get a
>> different host.
>>
>> When I look at http://www.jimscott.co.uk/ I see a frameset. Here it is:
>> <head>
>> <title>Jim Scott's Website</title>
>>
>> <frameset rows="100%,*" framespacing="0" border="0" frameborder="0">

> To see this, Jim, use your browser's View Source menu. I am
> surprised you have not seen this. How are you validating your
> pages? You have obviously gone to some trouble to make them valid
> 4.01 Strict too - good, of course. How did you get them that way
> without using the online validator from where you got your
> 'validated' logos?

Hi again dorayme - long time...

I did all the validating from my website on my own server
http://www.jimscot.myby.co.uk then pointed jimscott.co.uk to it.
However this is irrelevant as the positioning errors occur whichever site I
view from, ie jimscott or myby.
I validate with MS Expression Web and if necessary with W3C.
I now also notice that when I go to the bellringers part of the site, I
lose the background image and the buttons do not render properly ie they
show as a 'pointed list'.
--
Jim S
Tyneside UK

Jim S

It occurs with both IE8 and FF latest
All pages should be centred.
--
Jim S
Tyneside UK
www.jimscott.co.uk

rf

"Jim S" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Sat, 30 Jan 2010 06:16:40 GMT, rf wrote:
>
>> "Jim S" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:1hgcbg3fb6xeu$(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> It all looks fine at my end on any browser.

>> Please report exactly which browsers and which versions. And you didn't
>> tell
>> us that first up.

>>> Any frames that are there were put there by the domain/server(?).
>>> I use no frames.

>> If your server is putting frames around your pages then it's time to get
>> different host.
>>
>> When I look at http://www.jimscott.co.uk/ I see a frameset. Here is is:
>> <head>
>> <title>Jim Scott's Website</title>
>> <META NAME="description" CONTENT="Photographs of Tyneside and around,
>> with link to Christ Church Guild of Change Ringers">
>> <META NAME="keywords" CONTENT="Jim Scott, Christ Church, North
>> Shields,
>> Tyne, Bellringer, Bellringers, Belfry, Change ringers, change ringing,
>> campanology">
>> <META NAME="revisit-after" content="5 days">
>> </head>
>>
>> <frameset rows="100%,*" framespacing="0" border="0" frameborder="0">
>>
>> <noframes>
>> them.</p>
>> </noframes>
>> <frame name="main" src="http://www.jimscot.myby.co.uk"
>> scrolling="auto">
>> </frameset>
>>
>> That frameset is putting the browser into quirks mode. That frameset is
>> also
>> nothing like I have ever seen a server put around a page. This looks very
>> much like a frameset you have coded yourself.
>>
>> What happens when you view http://www.jimscot.myby.co.uk ?
>>
>>> I used to use tables to centralise all the pages, but was recommended
>>> (in
>>> this group) not to do so.

>> What does that mean?
>>
>>> The problem I'm raising now arises after viewing the site on my son's
>>> high-res widescreen laptop

>> The resolution of the screen has nothing at all to do (in this case) with
>> the layout of your page.
>>
>>> where some pages are ok, some have the images
>>> central and the buttons on the left and on some 'everything' is on the
>>> left.

>> You didn't tell us that either. Exactly which browser and exactly which
>> version is your son using? Exactly which pages are ok. Exactly which
>> pages
>> are wrong. Provide an example, with a description of how it is wrong.
>>
>> What happens when your son views http://www.jimscot.myby.co.uk ?

> It occurs with both IE8 and FF latest
> All pages should be centred.

FFS Jim that is not an answer to the individual questions I asked above.

If you cannot answer my questions the I for one have no further time to
waste trying to guess what yours is.

You are on your bloody own.