Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Windows 7 64 bit and Home Network Sharing?

Windows 7 64 bit and Home Network Sharing?

Endlessknight

Anyone know how to share a drive on Windows 7 64-bit over a home network
with a mac? When I had XP all I have to do was turn on the sharing and the
drive automatically appeared in finder on the mac but after upgrading I
can't seem to get it to work.

Carlos

Hi,
Neither Vista nor Windows 7 share whole drives any longer.
Sharing is supported on a folder by folder basis.
I have already got used to it.

Carlos

"Endlessknight" wrote:

> Anyone know how to share a drive on Windows 7 64-bit over a home network
> with a mac? When I had XP all I have to do was turn on the sharing and the
> drive automatically appeared in finder on the mac but after upgrading I
> can't seem to get it to work.
>
> .

Charlie Russel - MVP

The whole drive shares are there, but hidden. Not sure how Macs do things,
but the share is: \\computername\C$, \\computername\D$, etc. The $ character
ensures that the share isn't visible, but you should be able to map to it
regardless. I do it all the time when I need to connect to something I
haven't explicitely shared. But I don't usually leave a full drive map in
place, just do it for long enough to grab what I need. If I intend to have
an ongoing share, I explicitely share the folder(s) I need.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/blogs/russel

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
> Neither Vista nor Windows 7 share whole drives any longer.
> Sharing is supported on a folder by folder basis.
> I have already got used to it.
>
> Carlos
>
> "Endlessknight" wrote:
>
>> Anyone know how to share a drive on Windows 7 64-bit over a home network
>> with a mac? When I had XP all I have to do was turn on the sharing and
>> the
>> drive automatically appeared in finder on the mac but after upgrading I
>> can't seem to get it to work.
>>
>> .

Carlos

Charlie,
Thanks for your explanation.

Carlos

"Charlie Russel - MVP" wrote:

> The whole drive shares are there, but hidden. Not sure how Macs do things,
> but the share is: \\computername\C$, \\computername\D$, etc. The $ character
> ensures that the share isn't visible, but you should be able to map to it
> regardless. I do it all the time when I need to connect to something I
> haven't explicitely shared. But I don't usually leave a full drive map in
> place, just do it for long enough to grab what I need. If I intend to have
> an ongoing share, I explicitely share the folder(s) I need.
>
> --
> Charlie.
> http://msmvps.com/blogs/russel

> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Hi,
> > Neither Vista nor Windows 7 share whole drives any longer.
> > Sharing is supported on a folder by folder basis.
> > I have already got used to it.
> >
> > Carlos
> >
> > "Endlessknight" wrote:
> >
> >> Anyone know how to share a drive on Windows 7 64-bit over a home network
> >> with a mac? When I had XP all I have to do was turn on the sharing and
> >> the
> >> drive automatically appeared in finder on the mac but after upgrading I
> >> can't seem to get it to work.
> >>
> >> .
> >>

> .

Charlie Russel - MVP

Those hidden shares have been there since NT 3.5, by the way. And you can
use the exact same mechanism to create your own hidden shares. Just put a $
at the end of the share name. It can still be mapped to if you know the
name, but you can't see it from explorer.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/blogs/russel

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Charlie,
> Thanks for your explanation.
>
> Carlos
>
> "Charlie Russel - MVP" wrote:
>
>> The whole drive shares are there, but hidden. Not sure how Macs do
>> things,
>> but the share is: \\computername\C$, \\computername\D$, etc. The $
>> character
>> ensures that the share isn't visible, but you should be able to map to it
>> regardless. I do it all the time when I need to connect to something I
>> haven't explicitely shared. But I don't usually leave a full drive map in
>> place, just do it for long enough to grab what I need. If I intend to
>> have
>> an ongoing share, I explicitely share the folder(s) I need.
>>
>> --
>> Charlie.
>> http://msmvps.com/blogs/russel

>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > Hi,
>> > Neither Vista nor Windows 7 share whole drives any longer.
>> > Sharing is supported on a folder by folder basis.
>> > I have already got used to it.
>> >
>> > Carlos

>> .

Endlessknight

Sorry I don't think I explain the issue well. My problem is that nothing
shows up in finder after upgrading to windows 7 64-bit, not the drives, not
the shared folders, nothing. In windows xp as soon as I turned on sharing
whatever I shared appeared in finder. Since the only thing that has changed
in home network is upgrading the pc to windows 7 I know the issue must be
there. Some setting I've over look maybe?

news:ulA#(E-Mail Removed)...
> The whole drive shares are there, but hidden. Not sure how Macs do things,
> but the share is: \\computername\C$, \\computername\D$, etc. The $
> character ensures that the share isn't visible, but you should be able to
> map to it regardless. I do it all the time when I need to connect to
> something I haven't explicitely shared. But I don't usually leave a full
> drive map in place, just do it for long enough to grab what I need. If I
> intend to have an ongoing share, I explicitely share the folder(s) I need.
>
> --
> Charlie.
> http://msmvps.com/blogs/russel

> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Hi,
>> Neither Vista nor Windows 7 share whole drives any longer.
>> Sharing is supported on a folder by folder basis.
>> I have already got used to it.
>>
>> Carlos
>>
>> "Endlessknight" wrote:
>>
>>> Anyone know how to share a drive on Windows 7 64-bit over a home network
>>> with a mac? When I had XP all I have to do was turn on the sharing and
>>> the
>>> drive automatically appeared in finder on the mac but after upgrading I
>>> can't seem to get it to work.
>>>
>>> .

Barb Bowman

On your MAC, turn on SMB Sharing in the System Prefs / Sharing / Filesharing /

On Fri, 29 Jan 2010 16:28:06 -0900, "Endlessknight" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Sorry I don't think I explain the issue well. My problem is that nothing
>shows up in finder after upgrading to windows 7 64-bit, not the drives, not
>the shared folders, nothing. In windows xp as soon as I turned on sharing
>whatever I shared appeared in finder. Since the only thing that has changed
>in home network is upgrading the pc to windows 7 I know the issue must be
>there. Some setting I've over look maybe?
>
>"Charlie Russel - MVP" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:ulA#(E-Mail Removed)...
>> The whole drive shares are there, but hidden. Not sure how Macs do things,
>> but the share is: \\computername\C$, \\computername\D$, etc. The $
>> character ensures that the share isn't visible, but you should be able to
>> map to it regardless. I do it all the time when I need to connect to
>> something I haven't explicitely shared. But I don't usually leave a full
>> drive map in place, just do it for long enough to grab what I need. If I
>> intend to have an ongoing share, I explicitely share the folder(s) I need.
>>
>> --
>> Charlie.
>> http://msmvps.com/blogs/russel

>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Hi,
>>> Neither Vista nor Windows 7 share whole drives any longer.
>>> Sharing is supported on a folder by folder basis.
>>> I have already got used to it.
>>>
>>> Carlos

Barb Bowman
MS-MVP
http://www.digitalmediaphile.com
http://digitalmediaphile.wordpress.com

Endlessknight

That lets the PC see the mac drive/folders (which I don't want). I need the
mac to be able to see the pc (as it was with xp before upgrading)

"Barb Bowman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> On your MAC, turn on SMB Sharing in the System Prefs / Sharing /
> Filesharing /
>
> On Fri, 29 Jan 2010 16:28:06 -0900, "Endlessknight" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>>Sorry I don't think I explain the issue well. My problem is that nothing
>>shows up in finder after upgrading to windows 7 64-bit, not the drives,
>>not
>>the shared folders, nothing. In windows xp as soon as I turned on sharing
>>whatever I shared appeared in finder. Since the only thing that has
>>changed
>>in home network is upgrading the pc to windows 7 I know the issue must be
>>there. Some setting I've over look maybe?
>>
>>"Charlie Russel - MVP" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>news:ulA#(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> The whole drive shares are there, but hidden. Not sure how Macs do
>>> things,
>>> but the share is: \\computername\C$, \\computername\D$, etc. The $
>>> character ensures that the share isn't visible, but you should be able
>>> map to it regardless. I do it all the time when I need to connect to
>>> something I haven't explicitely shared. But I don't usually leave a full
>>> drive map in place, just do it for long enough to grab what I need. If I
>>> intend to have an ongoing share, I explicitely share the folder(s) I
>>> need.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Charlie.
>>> http://msmvps.com/blogs/russel
>>>

>>> "Carlos" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> Barb Bowman
> MS-MVP
> http://www.digitalmediaphile.com
> http://digitalmediaphile.wordpress.com

Bobby Johnson

What version of Windows 7 64-bit do you have?

On 2010-01-30 13:48, Endlessknight wrote:
> That lets the PC see the mac drive/folders (which I don't want). I need
> the mac to be able to see the pc (as it was with xp before upgrading)
>
> "Barb Bowman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>> On your MAC, turn on SMB Sharing in the System Prefs / Sharing /
>> Filesharing /
>>
>> On Fri, 29 Jan 2010 16:28:06 -0900, "Endlessknight" <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Sorry I don't think I explain the issue well. My problem is that nothing
>>> shows up in finder after upgrading to windows 7 64-bit, not the
>>> drives, not
>>> the shared folders, nothing. In windows xp as soon as I turned on
>>> sharing
>>> whatever I shared appeared in finder. Since the only thing that has
>>> changed
>>> in home network is upgrading the pc to windows 7 I know the issue
>>> must be
>>> there. Some setting I've over look maybe?
>>>
>>> "Charlie Russel - MVP" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>>> message
>>> news:ulA#(E-Mail Removed)...

>> Barb Bowman
>> MS-MVP
>> http://www.digitalmediaphile.com
>> http://digitalmediaphile.wordpress.com

Bobby Johnson

Also, if you would go to
http://social.technet.microsoft.com/...orking/threads
there are a multitude of threads discussing your exact situation. There
you can benefit from the experience of others with similar situations.