Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > Need to unzip uploaded Windows compressed folders

Need to unzip uploaded Windows compressed folders

Cal Who

After a quick search for code that I can use to unzip an uploaded Windows
compressed folder I find three possibilities. I'd guess there may be more.

System.IO.Compression.GZipStream class, SharpZipLib, DotNetZip

I'd appreciate comments about the various options. Especially from someone
with good (or bad) experience using one of them.

I'd hate to spend time unearthing problems that are already known in the
developers community.

Thanks

Alexey Smirnov

On Jan 29, 3:07*pm, "Cal Who" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> After a quick search for code that I can use to unzip an uploaded Windows
> compressed folder I find three possibilities. I'd guess there may be more..
>
> System.IO.Compression.GZipStream class, SharpZipLib, DotNetZip
>
> I'd appreciate comments about the various options. Especially from someone
> with good (or bad) experience using one of them.
>
> I'd hate to spend time unearthing problems that are already known in the
> developers community.
>
> Thanks

It depends on what you need, but I would recommend DotNetZip
http://www.codeplex.com/DotNetZip

Cal Who

Alexey Smirnov wrote:
> On Jan 29, 3:07 pm, "Cal Who" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> After a quick search for code that I can use to unzip an uploaded
>> Windows compressed folder I find three possibilities. I'd guess
>> there may be more.
>>
>> System.IO.Compression.GZipStream class, SharpZipLib, DotNetZip
>>
>> I'd appreciate comments about the various options. Especially from
>> someone with good (or bad) experience using one of them.
>>
>> I'd hate to spend time unearthing problems that are already known in
>> the developers community.
>>
>> Thanks

> It depends on what you need, but I would recommend DotNetZip
> http://www.codeplex.com/DotNetZip

I build a Windows compressed folder of photos (which is really a file) and
upload it. Presently using SharpZipLib.
I used that because it was the only free one I knew about.
Now I find there are others and wonder if what I'm doing is the best way.
I'd sure like to know how they differ - or why you like DotNetZip better.
I would appreciate it if you would give me a very quick comment on that.

In any event: Thanks

BTW
You're probably aware but just in case::
When I reply to you using OE I don't get the > inserted as I should.
I did read the following.
If someone posts using Quoted Printable, OE will not insert the >
I extracted from your post: Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
To get the > inserted here I replyed using OE-Quote fix.
Please take this as me only trying to be helpful.

Alexey Smirnov

On Jan 29, 9:08*pm, " Cal Who" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Alexey Smirnov wrote:
> > On Jan 29, 3:07 pm, "Cal Who" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >> After a quick search for code that I can use to unzip an uploaded
> >> Windows compressed folder I find three possibilities. I'd guess
> >> there may be more.

> >> System.IO.Compression.GZipStream class, SharpZipLib, DotNetZip

> >> I'd appreciate comments about the various options. Especially from
> >> someone with good (or bad) experience using one of them.

> >> I'd hate to spend time unearthing problems that are already known in
> >> the developers community.

> >> Thanks

> > It depends on what you need, but I would recommend DotNetZip
> >http://www.codeplex.com/DotNetZip

> I build a Windows compressed folder of photos (which is really a file) and
> upload it. Presently using SharpZipLib.
> I used that because it was the only free one I knew about.
> Now I find there are others and wonder if what I'm doing is the best way.
> I'd sure like to know how they differ - or why you like DotNetZip better.
> I would appreciate it if you would give me a very quick comment on that.
>
> In any event: Thanks
>
> BTW
> You're probably aware but just in case::
> When I reply to you using OE I don't get the > inserted as I should.
> I did read the following.
> * *If someone posts using Quoted *Printable, OE will not insert the >
> I extracted from your post: Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
> To get the > inserted here I replyed using OE-Quote fix.
> Please take this as me only trying to be helpful.- Hide quoted text -

I'm sending it through Google Groups
http://groups.google.com/group/micro...ba0fe362b88b34

Cal Who

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
On Jan 29, 9:08 pm, " Cal Who" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Alexey Smirnov wrote:
> > On Jan 29, 3:07 pm, "Cal Who" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >> After a quick search for code that I can use to unzip an uploaded
> >> Windows compressed folder I find three possibilities. I'd guess
> >> there may be more.

> >> System.IO.Compression.GZipStream class, SharpZipLib, DotNetZip

> >> I'd appreciate comments about the various options. Especially from
> >> someone with good (or bad) experience using one of them.

> >> I'd hate to spend time unearthing problems that are already known in
> >> the developers community.

> >> Thanks

> > It depends on what you need, but I would recommend DotNetZip
> >http://www.codeplex.com/DotNetZip

> I build a Windows compressed folder of photos (which is really a file) and
> upload it. Presently using SharpZipLib.
> I used that because it was the only free one I knew about.
> Now I find there are others and wonder if what I'm doing is the best way.
> I'd sure like to know how they differ - or why you like DotNetZip better.
> I would appreciate it if you would give me a very quick comment on that.
>
> In any event: Thanks
>
> BTW
> You're probably aware but just in case::
> When I reply to you using OE I don't get the > inserted as I should.
> I did read the following.
> If someone posts using Quoted Printable, OE will not insert the >
> I extracted from your post: Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
> To get the > inserted here I replyed using OE-Quote fix.
> Please take this as me only trying to be helpful.- Hide quoted text -

I'm sending it through Google Groups
http://groups.google.com/group/micro...ba0fe362b88b34

I just want to make sure you knew.
I appreciate the help.

Thanks

Alexey Smirnov

On Jan 30, 12:11*am, " Cal Who" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> "Alexey Smirnov" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Jan 29, 9:08 pm, " Cal Who" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

> > Alexey Smirnov wrote:

> > > It depends on what you need, but I would recommend DotNetZip
> > >http://www.codeplex.com/DotNetZip

> > I build a Windows compressed folder of photos (which is really a file) and
> > upload it. Presently using SharpZipLib.
> > I used that because it was the only free one I knew about.
> > Now I find there are others and wonder if what I'm doing is the best way.
> > I'd sure like to know how they differ - or why you like DotNetZip better.
> > I would appreciate it if you would give me a very quick comment on that..

> > In any event: Thanks

> > BTW
> > You're probably aware but just in case::
> > When I reply to you using OE I don't get the > inserted as I should.
> > I did read the following.
> > If someone posts using Quoted Printable, OE will not insert the >
> > I extracted from your post: Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
> > To get the > inserted here I replyed using OE-Quote fix.
> > Please take this as me only trying to be helpful.- Hide quoted text -

> I'm sending it through Google Groupshttp://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspn...
>
> *I just want to make sure you knew.
> I appreciate the help.
>
> Thanks- Hide quoted text -

I think you can test performance for both components, if it's critical
for your application. I personally didn't know SharpZipLib. As far as
I see its license lets you to use it for free, but no source code. And
DotNetZip is open source. There is a forum on codeplex, some people
prefer SharpZipLib, others DotNetZip, so I think it's a matter of
taste.

Cal Who

Alexey Smirnov wrote:
> On Jan 30, 12:11 am, " Cal Who" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> "Alexey Smirnov" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> I build a Windows compressed folder of photos (which is really a
>>> file) and upload it. Presently using SharpZipLib.
>>> I used that because it was the only free one I knew about.
>>> Now I find there are others and wonder if what I'm doing is the
>>> best way. I'd sure like to know how they differ - or why you like
>>> DotNetZip better. I would appreciate it if you would give me a very
>>> quick comment on that.

>>> In any event: Thanks

>>> BTW
>>> You're probably aware but just in case::
>>> When I reply to you using OE I don't get the > inserted as I should.
>>> I did read the following.
>>> If someone posts using Quoted Printable, OE will not insert the >
>>> I extracted from your post: Content-Transfer-Encoding:
>>> quoted-printable To get the > inserted here I replyed using
>>> OE-Quote fix.
>>> Please take this as me only trying to be helpful.- Hide quoted text
>>> -

>> I'm sending it through Google
>> Groupshttp://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspn...
>>
>> I just want to make sure you knew.
>> I appreciate the help.
>>
>> Thanks- Hide quoted text -

> I think you can test performance for both components, if it's critical
> for your application. I personally didn't know SharpZipLib. As far as
> I see its license lets you to use it for free, but no source code. And
> DotNetZip is open source. There is a forum on codeplex, some people
> prefer SharpZipLib, others DotNetZip, so I think it's a matter of
> taste.

I downloaded DotNetZip and adapted an example and got it working for me in
just a few minutes. What I'm doing is quite basic but the site appears to
have good documentation and lists extensive features.

Thank

Alexey Smirnov

On Jan 30, 2:14*pm, " Cal Who" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Alexey Smirnov wrote:
> > On Jan 30, 12:11 am, " Cal Who" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >> "Alexey Smirnov" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

> >>news:(E-Mail Removed)....

> >> I'm sending it through Google
> >> Groupshttp://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.dotnet.framework..aspn...

> >> I just want to make sure you knew.
> >> I appreciate the help.

> >> Thanks- Hide quoted text -

> > I think you can test performance for both components, if it's critical
> > for your application. I personally didn't know SharpZipLib. As far as
> > I see its license lets you to use it for free, but no source code. And
> > DotNetZip is open source. There is a forum on codeplex, some people
> > prefer SharpZipLib, others DotNetZip, so I think it's a matter of
> > taste.

> I downloaded DotNetZip and adapted an example and got it working for me in
> just a few minutes. What I'm doing is quite basic but the site appears to
> have good documentation and lists extensive features.
>
> Thank

Glad it works for you well. Let us know if you find which product
would really work best for you.

Cheers!

python unzip: os.popen3("unzip ...") or import zipfile? Rocky Zhou Python 0 04-02-2007 04:53 AM
zip / unzip uploaded files seamlessly bradley ASP .Net 2 06-10-2005 01:26 PM
Compressed folders John MCSE 11 12-16-2003 07:21 PM
Virus-Scanning uploaded files uploaded? Matt G ASP .Net 1 08-22-2003 05:44 AM
File::Find Problems with ntfs compressed folders John Armsby Perl Misc 0 06-30-2003 08:43 PM

Advertisments