Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Re: iPad - sad joke's on you

Re: iPad - sad joke's on you

Mike Dee

In article <4b624bd4$(E-Mail Removed)>, vitw <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

> On Thu, 28 Jan 2010 20:12:10 -0600, impossible wrote:
>
> > iPad has USB. Ok, so now you have an excuse not to buy it. <shakes
> > head>

> Yeah, I know, the iPad has all the hardware features.
>
> The software, however, is a whole different issue. Closed shop. The
> device won't run anything that's not in the Apple AppStore. For that
> reason alone, I wouldn't have one if it was given to me.

This has to be one of the rarest of occasions but hey I agree 100% with
Impossible's posts in this thread.

Ummm... if Apple (or one of their resellers) ever does give one away in
some kind of promo or something... gee, I do hope it might go to someone
who would actually want one. Like me and likely zillions of others.

- Would hate to think that someone like you could get it and instantly
try to resell it on Trade me as an "unwanted gift".

--
dee

Donchano

On 30 Jan 2010 10:57:03 +1200, vitw <(E-Mail Removed)> shouted
from the highest rooftop:

>On Fri, 29 Jan 2010 20:47:20 +1100, Mike Dee wrote:
>
>> - Would hate to think that someone like you could get it and instantly
>> try to resell it on Trade me as an "unwanted gift".

>If the iPad were a car:
>
>1. It would need to be filled with petrol only from Apple petrol stations
>- the petrol cap would not open if trying to fill up with BP, or Caltex
>etc.
>
>2. It would be restricted to roads which Apple owns - entire highways,
>towns and city suburbs would be off-limits - the car would shut down if
>you tried to steer it onto a 'forbidden' road.
>
>People wouldn't put up with that kind of **** from a car manufacturer. It
>amazes me they're willing to cop the same **** from computer
>manufacturers.
>
>What especially makes me laugh is the self-righteousness with which
>people here, as consumers, rush to give away their power.

Even though Apple is the industry standard in my profession, I have
ignored all the pressure from colleagues to change from using Window's
PCs and laptops because most of the software I prefer to use wouldn't
work on an Apple and there were no Apple compatible alternatives I
liked.

But now that much of my Windows software does have an Apple
equivalent, I still see no reason to pay a hefty premium just be part
of the Apple club. Besides, my word processing and image processing
software can easily export files to an Apple compatible format and has
done for the past 20+ years.

Roger_Nickel

On Sat, 30 Jan 2010 12:27:09 +1200, vitw wrote:

> On Fri, 29 Jan 2010 16:25:22 -0600, impossible wrote:
>
>> Why do you need bad analogies to limp your way into some semblance of
>> an argument?

> Because it seems some folks here have their minds welded tightly shut
> when it comes to understanding that owning a product means being able to
> do whatever one wants with it (within the law), without being restricted
> by the manufacturer.

No different to so many other of the products I own. My toaster, my power
tools, my telephone, my CD player... They all are what they are and do
what they do. No reconfiguration needed. Some people appreciate products
which simply do what it says on the box. If you don't like Apple products
then don't buy them. If you want to buy a few hundred ipads and use them
as paving stones then go ahead, I bet that Apple won't complain.