Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C++ > opinions on "Walls and Mirrors" ?

opinions on "Walls and Mirrors" ?

Richard McBeef

What are the opinions in this group
of this textbook?
http://tinyurl.com/yzm7kja
I ask because this was the standard text
in my university's data structures course about 12
years ago. The thing is that no-one I have ever
worked with has heard of it and look down on
it like it is crap. They went to other schools.
Anyway, just curious...

red floyd

On Jan 28, 8:20*am, Richard McBeef <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> What are the opinions in this group
> of this textbook?[link redacted]
> I ask because this was the standard text
> in my university's data structures course about 12
> years ago. The thing is that no-one I have ever
> worked with has heard of it and look down on
> it like it is crap. They went to other schools.
> Anyway, just curious...

And since it's a Java book, you're asking this in a C++ group why?

Vladimir Jovic

red floyd wrote:
> On Jan 28, 8:20 am, Richard McBeef <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> What are the opinions in this group
>> of this textbook?[link redacted]
>> I ask because this was the standard text
>> in my university's data structures course about 12
>> years ago. The thing is that no-one I have ever
>> worked with has heard of it and look down on
>> it like it is crap. They went to other schools.
>> Anyway, just curious...

> And since it's a Java book, you're asking this in a C++ group why?

It is not. The full name is:
Data Abstraction and Problem Solving with C++: Walls and Mirrors (4th
Edition) (Hardcover)

ps Yes, I was crazy enough to click the link...

Richard Herring

In message
<(E-Mail Removed)>, red
floyd <(E-Mail Removed)> writes
>On Jan 28, 8:20*am, Richard McBeef <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> What are the opinions in this group
>> of this textbook?[link redacted]
>> I ask because this was the standard text
>> in my university's data structures course about 12
>> years ago. The thing is that no-one I have ever
>> worked with has heard of it and look down on
>> it like it is crap. They went to other schools.
>> Anyway, just curious...

>And since it's a Java book, you're asking this in a C++ group why?

???

According to the Amazon link he posted, its title is

"Data Abstraction and Problem Solving with C++: Walls and Mirrors (4th
Edition) (Hardcover)"

which looks like C++ to me.

I've never encountered it, but the customer reviews are extremely mixed.

--
Richard Herring

**Group User**

Dear Sir,

Data structure is about algorithms, ways to improve performance and
storage
One book will end its life just after a few years known,
Some writer names will last for years later on
Some will be quickly forgotten

Some people ask me whether I am angry after a loss of precious/
priceless things or tease over my own pain. I have got to tell that
they are complete iddeeeaaats to make such an obvious question. Of
course I am a human being, I have senses. Only thick skin animals
would say No or show laughing signs.
But such loss makes us all remember together forever.
I wish to find me again soon.

Andrew Poelstra

On 2010-01-28, Richard McBeef <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> What are the opinions in this group
> of this textbook?
> http://tinyurl.com/yzm7kja
> I ask because this was the standard text
> in my university's data structures course about 12
> years ago. The thing is that no-one I have ever
> worked with has heard of it and look down on
> it like it is crap. They went to other schools.
> Anyway, just curious...

They used this in my course as well. I bought it but never
once opened it. (Nor did I even learn C++; my school was
kind enough to let me write psuedocode on tests. I never
once needed anything sembling OO for the course.)

So I would say wait before you buy it. If you want to
learn data structures try flipping through Knuth or
reading /C Unleashed/ or trying comp.programming.

red floyd

On Jan 28, 9:13*am, Vladimir Jovic <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> red floyd wrote:
> > On Jan 28, 8:20 am, Richard McBeef <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >> What are the opinions in this group
> >> of this textbook?[link redacted]
> >> I ask because this was the standard text
> >> in my university's data structures course about 12
> >> years ago. The thing is that no-one I have ever
> >> worked with has heard of it and look down on
> >> it like it is crap. They went to other schools.
> >> Anyway, just curious...

> > And since it's a Java book, you're asking this in a C++ group why?

> It is not. The full name is:
> Data Abstraction and Problem Solving with C++: Walls and Mirrors (4th
> Edition) (Hardcover)
>
> ps Yes, I was crazy enough to click the link...

Oh. I went to Amazon and looked for that title, and only found the
Java version.

[EMILY-LATELLA]
Oh, that's very different. Never mind!
[/EMILY-LATELLA]

red floyd

On Jan 28, 9:21*am, Richard Herring <junk@[127.0.0.1]> wrote:
> In message
> <(E-Mail Removed)>, red
> floyd <(E-Mail Removed)> writes
>
> >On Jan 28, 8:20*am, Richard McBeef <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >> What are the opinions in this group
> >> of this textbook?[link redacted]
> >> I ask because this was the standard text
> >> in my university's data structures course about 12
> >> years ago. The thing is that no-one I have ever
> >> worked with has heard of it and look down on
> >> it like it is crap. They went to other schools.
> >> Anyway, just curious...

> >And since it's a Java book, you're asking this in a C++ group why?

> ???
>
> According to the Amazon link he posted, its title is
>
> "Data Abstraction and Problem Solving with C++: Walls and Mirrors (4th
> Edition) (Hardcover)"
>
> which looks like C++ to me.

I don't follow tinyurl links on usenet.

Philip Potter

On 29/01/2010 00:39, red floyd wrote:
> On Jan 28, 9:21 am, Richard Herring <junk@[127.0.0.1]> wrote:
>> According to the Amazon link he posted, its title is
>>
>> "Data Abstraction and Problem Solving with C++: Walls and Mirrors (4th
>> Edition) (Hardcover)"
>>
>> which looks like C++ to me.
>>

> I don't follow tinyurl links on usenet.

You can always see where they link before following:
http://preview.tinyurl.com/yzm7kja
^^^^^^^^ just add this

Phil

Jorgen Grahn

On Thu, 2010-01-28, Andrew Poelstra wrote:
> So I would say wait before you buy it. If you want to
> learn data structures try flipping through Knuth or [---]

I've never really read Knuth, but IMHO that's an unusual advice to
people who haven't touched algorithms and data structures before.
Like Barbie would say: "Knuth is hard".

/Jorgen

--
// Jorgen Grahn <grahn@ Oo o. . .