Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > create a TAB ?

create a TAB ?

Harlan Messinger

Doug Miller wrote:
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Harlan Messinger <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Ben C wrote:

>>> They do get a mention in the HTML spec, in the section about PRE:
>>>
>>> The horizontal tab character (decimal 9 in [ISO10646] [p.353] and
>>> [ISO88591] [p.354] ) is usually interpreted by visual user agents as
>>> the smallest non-zero number of spaces necessary to line characters
>>> up along tab stops that are every 8 characters. We strongly
>>> discourage using horizontal tabs in preformatted text since it is
>>> common practice, when editing, to set the tab-spacing to other
>>> values, leading to misaligned documents.
>>>
>>> But it's less encouraging for would-be tab users than what we find in
>>> the CSS spec.

>> Thanks! That's all I asked for. I don't understand why Doug thought that
>> citing a section of CSS 2.1 was a way to correct my (mistakenly)
>> impression that tab stops weren't defined in HTML.

> Ummmm.... go back and read that again. I am not the one who cited a section of
> CSS 2.1. That was someone else.

Sorry, you're right about that.

On the other hand, given that I was operating off of what Ben had said
about CSS 2.1, you didn't come through with anything to counter the
impression that Ben had left that CSS 2.1 is where they were introduced,
which is why I didn't just accept it on your say-so.

I do apologize for the confusion that was probably caused by my
conflating the two of you.

Doug Miller

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Harlan Messinger <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>Doug Miller wrote:
>> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Harlan Messinger

> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>> Thanks! That's all I asked for. I don't understand why Doug thought that
>>> citing a section of CSS 2.1 was a way to correct my (mistakenly)
>>> impression that tab stops weren't defined in HTML.

>> Ummmm.... go back and read that again. I am not the one who cited a section

> of
>> CSS 2.1. That was someone else.

>Sorry, you're right about that.

Thank you.

>On the other hand, given that I was operating off of what Ben had said
>about CSS 2.1, you didn't come through with anything to counter the
>impression that Ben had left that CSS 2.1 is where they were introduced,
>which is why I didn't just accept it on your say-so.
>
>I do apologize for the confusion that was probably caused by my
>conflating the two of you.

Accepted.