Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > create a TAB ?

create a TAB ?

don

Although I've seen several referances online as to how to display a tab
using these special character codes:

	 neither has worked for me.

Is there a quick way to tab over in a web page other than typing   5
or 8 tiimes!

dorayme

In article <hjr86m$ne$(E-Mail Removed)>,
"don" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Although I've seen several referances online as to how to display a tab
> using these special character codes:
>
> &#x09; neither has worked for me.
>
> Is there a quick way to tab over in a web page other than typing &nbsp; 5
> or 8 tiimes!

possible straw you can to avoid the perfectly reasonable
idea that science is just common reasoning gone more self
conscious and exact and organised. You imagine that in this
process there is some well defined thing called The Scientific
Method. But this is a simplistic chimera of yours and * a product
of naive thinking at every turn.</p>

But watch out for the space not seeming to appear for *some*
browser widths/font-sizes under pressure of wrap. Just tap the
space bar the number of times you want the space between "to" and
"avoid" or the tab key.

--
dorayme

Jukka K. Korpela

dorayme wrote:

> In article <hjr86m$ne$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> "don" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Although I've seen several referances online as to how to display a
>> tab using these special character codes:
>>
>> &#x09; neither has worked for me.

"Don" has been reading poor referances. I would recommend reliable
references instead. According to them, the TAB character is equivalent to a
space in HTML, except in a few exceptional contexts.

>> Is there a quick way to tab over in a web page other than typing
>> &nbsp; 5 or 8 tiimes!

The question is obscure, but it didn't quite deserve such a wrong answer.

The question that should have been asked is, most probably, "how do I
present tabular data in HTML?", and the correct answer is "using a <table>
element".

> But watch out for the space not seeming to appear for *some*
> browser widths/font-sizes under pressure of wrap. Just tap the
> space bar the number of times you want the space between "to" and
> "avoid" or the tab key.

Sense that does not make.

--
Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/

dorayme

In article <gzF8n.70678$(E-Mail Removed)>,
"Jukka K. Korpela" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> dorayme wrote:
>
> > In article <hjr86m$ne$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> > "don" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> >> Is there a quick way to tab over in a web page other than typing
> >> &nbsp; 5 or 8 tiimes!

> The question is obscure, but it didn't quite deserve such a wrong answer.

I was imagining a specific thing he wanted in the typing of some
text in a paragraph, namely how to make space bar spaces or tab
bar spaces show up. The idea being that "don" would respond and
say that is what he wanted and either explain why[*] and further
clarify his question. Or leave it a mystery.

> The question that should have been asked is, most probably, "how do I
> present tabular data in HTML?", and the correct answer is "using a <table>
> element".

Honest, had he asked this, I would have guessed the answer! <g>

> > But watch out for the space not seeming to appear for *some*
> > browser widths/font-sizes under pressure of wrap. Just tap the
> > space bar the number of times you want the space between "to" and
> > "avoid" or the tab key.

> Sense that does not make.

OK, seems one or the other or both of my sentences are not clear.

If you type a paragraph, the prewrap element retains the spaces
but allows the text to wrap. If "don" wanted these spaces to
appear, they will for the most part. But for some browser widths,
the spaces might not be manifest if they occur just before the
wrap.

In the text I provided,

"<p style="white-space: pre-wrap">You are clutching at every
possible straw you can to avoid the perfectly reasonable idea
that science is just common reasoning gone more self conscious
and exact and organised. You imagine that in this process there
is some well defined thing called The Scientific Method. But this
is a simplistic chimera of yours and * a product of naive
thinking at every turn.</p>"

in the first paragraph, there is a word "to" followed by the word
"avoid" which was an example of where there might be some unusual
space. I forget if I gave a URL or simply offered the above in
the body of my post. Perhaps the space is lost in usenet space?
(not sure if the pun is intended? <g>)

-----
* Spaces in para text might be a secret code for spies that
conduct business over the internet... I will use this in my next
crime thriller.

--
dorayme

don

I tried your <pre wrap> tab but it did not seem to do anything...........

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> In article <gzF8n.70678$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> "Jukka K. Korpela" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> dorayme wrote:

>> The question is obscure, but it didn't quite deserve such a wrong answer.
>>

> I was imagining a specific thing he wanted in the typing of some
> text in a paragraph, namely how to make space bar spaces or tab
> bar spaces show up. The idea being that "don" would respond and
> say that is what he wanted and either explain why[*] and further
> clarify his question. Or leave it a mystery.
>

>> The question that should have been asked is, most probably, "how do I
>> present tabular data in HTML?", and the correct answer is "using a
>> element".
>>

> Honest, had he asked this, I would have guessed the answer! <g>
>

>> > But watch out for the space not seeming to appear for *some*
>> > browser widths/font-sizes under pressure of wrap. Just tap the
>> > space bar the number of times you want the space between "to" and
>> > "avoid" or the tab key.

>> Sense that does not make.

> OK, seems one or the other or both of my sentences are not clear.
>
> If you type a paragraph, the prewrap element retains the spaces
> but allows the text to wrap. If "don" wanted these spaces to
> appear, they will for the most part. But for some browser widths,
> the spaces might not be manifest if they occur just before the
> wrap.
>
> In the text I provided,
>
> "<p style="white-space: pre-wrap">You are clutching at every
> possible straw you can to avoid the perfectly reasonable idea
> that science is just common reasoning gone more self conscious
> and exact and organised. You imagine that in this process there
> is some well defined thing called The Scientific Method. But this
> is a simplistic chimera of yours and a product of naive
> thinking at every turn.</p>"
>
> in the first paragraph, there is a word "to" followed by the word
> "avoid" which was an example of where there might be some unusual
> space. I forget if I gave a URL or simply offered the above in
> the body of my post. Perhaps the space is lost in usenet space?
> (not sure if the pun is intended? <g>)
>
> -----
> * Spaces in para text might be a secret code for spies that
> conduct business over the internet... I will use this in my next
> crime thriller.
>
> --
> dorayme

dorayme

In article <hjvgnk$ed5$(E-Mail Removed)>,
"don" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I tried your <pre wrap> tab but it did not seem to do anything...........

Are you saying that the spaces do not appear in a browser that
loads:

<head>
charset=utf-8">
<title>test page</title>
</head>

?

--
dorayme

Jukka K. Korpela

dorayme wrote:

> I was imagining a specific thing he wanted in the typing of some
> text in a paragraph, namely how to make space bar spaces or tab
> bar spaces show up.

What an odd idea. Why would text in paragraphs need such features or benefit
from them?

> The idea being that "don" would respond and
> say that is what he wanted and either explain why[*] and further
> clarify his question.

How would that be the idea? You make some unspecified assumption on what the
OP really wants. Why would he know whether your assumption is correct?

>> The question that should have been asked is, most probably, "how do I
>> present tabular data in HTML?", and the correct answer is "using a

> Honest, had he asked this, I would have guessed the answer! <g>

He asked it; he just did not know how to express it.

> OK, seems one or the other or both of my sentences are not clear.

Granted.

> If you type a paragraph, the prewrap element

Stop right there. There is no prewrap element, and you know that.

> retains the spaces
> but allows the text to wrap.

Well, if you mean the CSS declaration white-space: pre-wrap, then the first
question is why you recommend that, instead of white-space: pre, which has
much better support, or the HTML <pre> element, which has universal support.
There was no reference to any wrapping in the question.

> Perhaps the space is lost in usenet space?

Quite possibly. But more importantly, the unreliable CSS technique does not
help much. You would still need to count your spaces. Why would that be
essentially easier than typing no-break spaces? They're simple characters,
and you can enter them as such, instead of the clumsy &nbsp; entity
reference. For example, using the modern standard Finnish keyboard, designed
for ease typing of all European languages written in Latin letters and more,
you would simply use AltGr+space. It's not particularly difficult to keep
AltGr pressed down, at least if you can use both hands.

--
Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/

dorayme

In article <pxI8n.70830$(E-Mail Removed)>,
"Jukka K. Korpela" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> dorayme wrote:
>
> > I was imagining a specific thing he wanted in the typing of some
> > text in a paragraph, namely how to make space bar spaces or tab
> > bar spaces show up.

> What an odd idea. Why would text in paragraphs need such features or benefit
> from them?

Who knows?

> > The idea being that "don" would respond and
> > say that is what he wanted and either explain why[*] and further
> > clarify his question.

> How would that be the idea? You make some unspecified assumption on what the
> OP really wants. Why would he know whether your assumption is correct?

I gave him an example. He can clarify.

> >> The question that should have been asked is, most probably, "how do I
> >> present tabular data in HTML?", and the correct answer is "using a

> > Honest, had he asked this, I would have guessed the answer! <g>

> He asked it; he just did not know how to express it.

Well, if that is perfectly right, then so be it. Perhaps he will
or has clarified it. Perhaps it is simply obvious to others.
Perhaps I just saw his question in a peculiar way at the time.

> Stop right there.

I'd rather you did not. <g>

>There is no prewrap element, and you know that.
>

> > retains the spaces
> > but allows the text to wrap.

> ...white-space: pre-wrap, then the first
> question is why you recommend that, instead of white-space: pre, which has
> much better support, or the HTML <pre> element, which has universal support.
> There was no reference to any wrapping in the question.

As for there being no reference to wrapping in the question, I
figured that if someone did want some white space to show, it
might not be at the expense of losing wrapping. That is what I
figured and perhaps it should be seen as an invitation to discuss
the matter further...

--
dorayme

Harlan Messinger

don wrote:
> Although I've seen several referances online as to how to display a tab

That would be a neat trick, since a tab is a non-displaying character.

> using these special character codes:
>
> &#x09; neither has worked for me.

Assuming you mean, how would you create the alignment effect associated
with tabs, I don't see how that could work since HTML doesn't define tab
*stops*--the positions on the horizontal line to which each press of the
Tab key is supposed to move the insertion point.

Harlan Messinger

Ben C wrote:
> On 2010-02-01, Harlan Messinger <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> don wrote:
>>> Although I've seen several referances online as to how to display a tab

>> That would be a neat trick, since a tab is a non-displaying character.
>>

>>> using these special character codes:
>>>
>>> &#x09; neither has worked for me.

>> Assuming you mean, how would you create the alignment effect associated
>> with tabs, I don't see how that could work since HTML doesn't define tab
>> *stops*--the positions on the horizontal line to which each press of the
>> Tab key is supposed to move the insertion point.

> Tabs do work in <pre> etc. elements. I think it is defined somewhere
> that your tabstop is 8 columns.
>
> Here it is (CSS 2.1 16.6.1):
>
> 2. All tabs (U+0009) are rendered as a horizontal shift that lines up
> the start edge of the next glyph with the next tab stop. Tab stops
> occur at points that are mutiples of 8 times the width of a space
> (U+0020) rendered in the block's font from the block's starting
> content edge.

Ah, OK, thanks. Though, FWIW: this is a CSS feature rather than an HTML one.