Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Help: Player for Scratched DVDs

Help: Player for Scratched DVDs

Searcher7

I rent DVDs from the library and I've been having a great deal of
problems with receiving scratched disks.

Are there any players out there that allow one to skip ahead frame by
frame so I can get past all the picture freezes that I experience?

Thanks.

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.

Searcher7

On Jan 28, 11:53*am, "(E-Mail Removed)" <CLicker> wrote:
> On Wed, 27 Jan 2010 20:46:43 -0800 (PST),Searcher7
>
> <(E-Mail Removed)2.com> wrote:
> >I rent DVDs from the library and I've been having a great deal of
> >problems with receiving scratched disks.

> >Are there any players out there that allow one to skip ahead frame by
> >frame so I can get past all the picture freezes that I experience?

> >Thanks.

> >Darren Harris
> >Staten Island, New York.

> If your librarian CARES about his/her optical disc collection, it
> would be worthwhile to mention this to the librarian. *Our library
> acquired a CD/DVD resurfacing machine (a precursor to thishttp://www.jfjeasypro.com/) which does wonders for keeping the
> non-Blu-Ray portion of the collection pristine. *The tiny, but
> growing, Blu-Ray collection is, so far, scratch free - as have been
> the hundred or more I've received from NetFlix. *Their surface
> protective coating seems to work quite well.

Well I mentioned the problem a year or so ago, but as this is the "New
York Public Library" I might as well have been talking to a brick
wall.

They can't even hire competent individuals to develop user friendly
site software. Whenever they make a change the website get worse.

Anyway, I basically have to do what I can on my end.

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.

Archimedes' Lever

On Thu, 28 Jan 2010 17:08:57 -0800 (PST), Searcher7
<(E-Mail Removed)2.com> wrote:

>On Jan 28, 11:53*am, "(E-Mail Removed)" <CLicker> wrote:
>> On Wed, 27 Jan 2010 20:46:43 -0800 (PST),Searcher7
>>
>> <(E-Mail Removed)2.com> wrote:
>> >I rent DVDs from the library and I've been having a great deal of
>> >problems with receiving scratched disks.

>> >Are there any players out there that allow one to skip ahead frame by
>> >frame so I can get past all the picture freezes that I experience?

>> >Thanks.

>> >Darren Harris
>> >Staten Island, New York.

>> If your librarian CARES about his/her optical disc collection, it
>> would be worthwhile to mention this to the librarian. *Our library
>> acquired a CD/DVD resurfacing machine (a precursor to thishttp://www.jfjeasypro.com/) which does wonders for keeping the
>> non-Blu-Ray portion of the collection pristine. *The tiny, but
>> growing, Blu-Ray collection is, so far, scratch free - as have been
>> the hundred or more I've received from NetFlix. *Their surface
>> protective coating seems to work quite well.

>Well I mentioned the problem a year or so ago, but as this is the "New
>York Public Library" I might as well have been talking to a brick
>wall.
>
>They can't even hire competent individuals to develop user friendly
>site software. Whenever they make a change the website get worse.
>
>Anyway, I basically have to do what I can on my end.
>
>Darren Harris
>Staten Island, New York.

Do us all a favor and run over to the big city for us, and beat the
**** out of Proteus, and destroy his computer.

Break all his fingers too, so he cannot return to abuse the groups
again.

A simple google search will tell you why.

Bill McClain

On 2010-01-28, Searcher7 <(E-Mail Removed)2.com> wrote:
> I rent DVDs from the library and I've been having a great deal of
> problems with receiving scratched disks.

> Are there any players out there that allow one to skip ahead frame by
> frame so I can get past all the picture freezes that I experience?

I'm not sure frame-by-frame will get you past bad spots on the disc.

The OPPO players are pretty tolerant (and have frame-by-frame).

I found this motorized disc polisher to be a good investment:

http://www.cyberguys.com/product-det...productid=3981

It's a cheap piece of plastic but I have rescued a lot of DVDs with it.

-Bill
--
Sattre Press Familiar World
http://sattre-press.com/ Notes of a Driftless Fly Fisher

GMAN

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, davy <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Try cleaning the disc with toothpaste...... see 'remove scratches with
>toothpaste '
>(http://www.wonderhowto.com/how-to/vi...from-a-cd-usin
>g-toothpaste-218847/)
>or 'banana peel' (http://lifehackery.com/2008/07/14/gadgetry/) or even
>'Brasso' (http://lifehackery.com/2008/07/14/gadgetry/).
>
>Note if the top label is scratched or damaged this will also prevent
>the CD or DVD from playing because the inner side of the top foil acts
>as a mirror to reflect the laser light.... so careful how this side is
>treated.

True with CD's but NOT with DVD's. DVD's are sandwhiched between two plastic
layers.

>The polishing secret is use a soft clean lint free duster moving from
>inner to the outer in in a straight manner, using circular motion will
>help to put minute microscopic scratches on.
>
>davy

Archimedes' Lever

On Sat, 30 Jan 2010 16:41:29 GMT, (E-Mail Removed) (GMAN)
wrote:

>In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, davy <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>Try cleaning the disc with toothpaste...... see 'remove scratches with
>>toothpaste '
>>(http://www.wonderhowto.com/how-to/vi...from-a-cd-usin
>>g-toothpaste-218847/)
>>or 'banana peel' (http://lifehackery.com/2008/07/14/gadgetry/) or even
>>'Brasso' (http://lifehackery.com/2008/07/14/gadgetry/).
>>
>>Note if the top label is scratched or damaged this will also prevent
>>the CD or DVD from playing because the inner side of the top foil acts
>>as a mirror to reflect the laser light.... so careful how this side is
>>treated.
>>

>True with CD's but NOT with DVD's. DVD's are sandwhiched between two plastic
>layers.
>

>>The polishing secret is use a soft clean lint free duster moving from
>>inner to the outer in in a straight manner, using circular motion will
>>help to put minute microscopic scratches on.
>>
>>davy

The polishing secret is to never let them get scratched to begin with.

Oh yeah... the other fix would have been to have had enough brains to
have bought into BluRay.

I haven't bought a DVD since then. Not that any of my DVD collection
has any scratches anywhere on any of them.

Rental retards deserve whatever they get. You want to economize your
cost by not actually establishing a collection. And the idiots that do
the renting are too stupid to monitor disc surface condition and hold the
culprits for damage responsible. You can all stew in it.

If you had any brains, you would simply DL a file and watch it that
way. From the PC, or burn a disc, and from the player. Unless you are
so cheap that you bought such a no-name cheap player brand that the
damned thing wont even play an AVI disc. That would really be sad.
Except that it already is.

Archimedes' Lever

On Sun, 31 Jan 2010 20:01:57 -0800, "The Mighty T.B."
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>RAAAAHHHRRRR!!!!!!!!! ARCHTARD........MAD!!!
>
>BREAK KEYBOARD OVER HEAD!!!!! RRRRAHHHRRRR!!!!!!!!!
>
>UURRRRHHHH........ARCHTARD...... SLEEPY.
>
>TOO MUCH THINKINGGggGggggg....ZZzzZZzzzZZzzzzZZZzzzzzzzzZZz zZZzz..........

Nothing further needs to be said.