Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Re: Need product (not license) numbers from an XP Home SP3 retail disc

Re: Need product (not license) numbers from an XP Home SP3 retail disc

The Real Truth MVP

Do what most retailers do. Sell a piece of hardware like a mouse for the
price you want for the XP disk then give the disk away for free or offer the
disk for free and charge for shipping. That way eBay will not take down your
ad unless of course you are telling the truth about the upgrade.

your time.

"Some Guy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) et...
> In need of some help here...
>
> Does anyone here have a retail copy of Windows XP Home SP3 (32 bit)? I
> need to know the part number and/or product ID (which will start with an
> "x" and which may or may not be labeled as a part number or product ID)
> that is physically silk-screened onto the front of the disc...and possibly
> the set of numbers from the other side of the disc on the label around the
> hole as well.
>
> The part number is not the same thing as the license key. I wanted to
> mention that so everyone knows I'm not trying to pirate the software. The
> part number on every copy of XP Home SP3 retail (32 bit) ever printed is
> exactly the same. It's just like an SKU as far as Microsoft is concerned.
>
> Anyway, I've managed to get myself into a long distance corner with
> someone else's old XP machine. We ran an upgrade in place to get her
> current install up to SP3 but the new install won't take her pre-SP3
> product key (even though we were installing the same version of XP) and
> Microsoft won't supply a working license key without the part numbers from
> the CD which neither of us have as she doesn't have the original
> installation media and the disc I sent her is burned from an ISO
> downloaded from the Microsoft Developer Network.
>
> Like I said, the part number is not the license key. We aren't pirating.
> I'm just trying to get her machine re-licensed and re-activated and
> Microsoft won't help without the part numbers off of the disc. (There may
> be an additional set of numbers printed around the hole on the other side
> of the disc as well.) So...if you have or can easily lay your hands on a
> retail copy of XP SP3 and can post those numbers, it would be a HUGE help.

Desk Rabbit

On 27/01/2010 23:57, The Real Truth MVP wrote:
> Do what most retailers do. Sell a piece of hardware like a mouse for the
> price you want for the XP disk then give the disk away for free or offer
> the disk for free and charge for shipping.

What utter rubbish. If you where a real MVP you'd know that is not the case.

Desk Rabbit

On 28/01/2010 00:37, Some Guy wrote:
> "The Real Truth MVP" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:4b60d34b$0$2624$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Do what most retailers do. Sell a piece of hardware like a mouse for
>> the price you want for the XP disk then give the disk away for free or
>> offer the disk for free and charge for shipping. That way eBay will
>> not take down your ad unless of course you are telling the truth about
>> the upgrade.

> What on earth are you talking about? I don't have any ads on eBay and
> this isn't a disc that was sold. This is a disc I burned and mailed to
> someone who has an old Gateway with XP on it and who couldn't install
> SP3 because A) her Gateway didn't ship with an original XP disc (which
> used to be fairly common practice among OEMs) and B) the SP3 upgrade was
> requiring that she supply the original XP disc which she didn't have.
>
> I simply sent a copy of XP SP3 and had her do an in-place upgrade (see
> this old article by Fred Langa in Information Week:
> http://www.informationweek.com/story...leID=189400897
> ) and when we got to the end where she has to supply her license key,
> neither the key that was on the original Microsoft COA sticker on the
> back of the machine or the key reported by AIDA32 Enterprise Edition
> (which for some reason was different from the COA key) would work.
>
> She had (according to AIDA32) Windows XP Home Retail. Here's the OS
> details from the AIDA report:
>
> Operating System Properties:
> OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
> OS Code Name Whistler OS Language English (United States)
> OS Kernel Type Uniprocessor Free
> OS Version 5.1.2600 (WinXP Retail)
> OS Service Pack Service Pack 2
> OS Installation Date 8/23/2002
> OS Root C:\WINNT
>
> I sent her a burned copy of Windows XP Home Retail SP3 that was
> downloaded from MSDN.

That's where you went wrong. The only place you can get a retail copy of
XP is at a retail outlet. The versions for download are not the same and
retail or OEM keys will not work with them. The only key that will work
now is the one you have and you obviously cannot use that.

> We successfully ran the in-place upgrade. But
> Windows will not accept her key and Microsoft won't help unless we can
> supply the part number off of an original disc that neither of us have.
> Capiche?
>
> Anyway, if someone has the part number (not the license key) from an XP
> Home Retail SP3 disc and can help, that would be great. And if not, I'll
> keep looking for another way around the issue even if it means I have to
> send her my own old retail XP Pro SP3 disc and license (which I'd
> actually like to keep for myself.)

A copy of the disk would suffice. Just run the repair with that. But if
her original supplied version was OEM as it should have been, you might
still be screwed trying to use an OEM key on a retail disk.

The Real Truth MVP

Have you ever tried to sell your legit copy of any MS software on EBay?
Microsoft routinely monitors eBay for people selling pirated copies of their
software. if they find an ad that does not display the COA or the product
number you will then be emailed and asked for that information. If you do
not comply in a timely manner or with false or bad info they contact EBay
and the ad is removed. It happens all the time.

your time.

"Desk Rabbit" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:hjqmn0$r44$(E-Mail Removed)...
> On 27/01/2010 23:57, The Real Truth MVP wrote:
>> Do what most retailers do. Sell a piece of hardware like a mouse for the
>> price you want for the XP disk then give the disk away for free or offer
>> the disk for free and charge for shipping.

> What utter rubbish. If you where a real MVP you'd know that is not the
> case.

Desk Rabbit

On 28/01/2010 01:58, The Real Truth MVP wrote:
> Have you ever tried to sell your legit copy of any MS software on EBay?

No, and neither was the OP. You have gone off on a complete tangent that
has nothing to do with the original question. Besides it is perfectly
legit to sell a RETAIL copy of XP on ebay PROVIDED you have removed it
from the machine you had it installed on. Old OEM copies may not be resold.

I was referring to your ludicrous statement that resellers must charge a
higher price for a piece of hardware so they can "give away" an OEM copy
of XP.

Show me the part of the OEM agreement that says you have to do that.
These days it has to be sold with either a new machine or a significant
piece of hardware.

The Real Truth MVP

This is a legit add
http://cgi.ebay.com/WINDOWS-XP-PRO-P...item3efc34b583

See the bottom where it says "This product complies with EBay & Microsoft
selling policy. Product will be shipped with NON peripheral hardware
component as required under the Microsoft O.E.M. System Builders License
Agreement ,it may or may not be compatible with your computer system"

your time.

news:hjrljt$nef$(E-Mail Removed)...