Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C++ > want to learn stl

want to learn stl

vicky

i want to learn stl, if anybody can guide

Victor Bazarov

vicky wrote:
> i want to learn stl, if anybody can guide

Where do you live? Can you wait? As soon as I have enough spare time,
I'll walk/drive/fly/swim over, rent a flat in your area, and we can get
together on a regular basis so I can guide you... Or you can simply get
a course in your local college or get a book ("The C++ Standard Library"
by Josuttis is excellent) and study.

**Group User**

On Jan 27, 8:32*pm, Victor Bazarov <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> vicky wrote:
> *Or you can simply get
> a course in your local college or get a book ("The C++ Standard Library"
> by Josuttis is excellent) and study.

Yes I definitely agree, it is Joshhh - the man of STL

I find books by Deitel are good for beginners too, they are used as
textbooks are on library shelves in quite a lot of colleges

osmium

vicky wrote:

> i want to learn stl, if anybody can guide

That's a formidable task. Fortunately there is a superb book on the
subject, _The C++ Standard Library_ by Nicolai Josutis. If you think
"formidable" is an exaggeration, the book has 800 pages and I don't think
there is any fat there. I found it useful to create a personalized partial
index for the book in a home brew text file on my computer.

You will have to learn to love verylonganddescriptivetypenames. Or at least
learn to copy them faithfully.

Immortal Nephi

On Jan 27, 9:42*am, "osmium" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> vicky wrote:
> > i want to learn stl, if anybody can guide

> That's a formidable task. *Fortunately there is a superb book on the
> subject, _The C++ Standard Library_ by Nicolai Josutis. *If you think
> "formidable" is an exaggeration, the book has 800 pages and I don't think
> there is any fat there. *I found it useful to create a personalized partial
> index for the book in a home brew text file on my computer.
>
> You will have to learn to love verylonganddescriptivetypenames. Or at least
> learn to copy them faithfully.

You can **reinvent** your wheel again. Learn how to write your own
vector class in your code writing yourself. Study it. Then don't
reinvent wheel anymore. Use STL.

Read a book. The book is excellent. The title name is Objects,
Abstraction, Data Structures and Design using C++. Arthor's name
Elliot B. Koffman and Paul A.T. Wolfgang. ISBN 0-471-46755-3.

Jorgen Grahn

On Wed, 2010-01-27, osmium wrote:
> vicky wrote:
>
>> i want to learn stl, if anybody can guide

> That's a formidable task. Fortunately there is a superb book on the
> subject, _The C++ Standard Library_ by Nicolai Josutis. If you think
> "formidable" is an exaggeration, the book has 800 pages and I don't think
> there is any fat there.

I think it *is* an exaggeration. You don't learn *all* of it at once.
If we're talking STL, you learn std::vector, std::map, iterators and
some of the most common algorithms and the ideas behind them.

> I found it useful to create a personalized partial
> index for the book in a home brew text file on my computer.

For the STL part, I really like SGI's documentation even though it's
partially outdated.

> You will have to learn to love verylonganddescriptivetypenames. Or at least
> learn to copy them faithfully.

Huh? I can't recall any of those in the standard library (neither in
lenght nor lowercasenowhitespace format). I also don't understand the
reference to copying them.

/Jorgen

--
// Jorgen Grahn <grahn@ Oo o. . .