Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > Configuration Error Message

Configuration Error Message

Albert Frausto

Hello. I have a simple Hello-World.aspx webpage that I've uploaded on Windows
2003 Server with .NET Framework 2.0.50727. When I try to access the
application from the browser on the web server I get the following web error:

Configuration Error

Parser Error Message: An error occurred loading a configuration file: Failed
to start monitoring changes to 'd:\inetpub\wwwroot\web.config' because access
is denied.

Source Error:

[No relevant source lines]

Source File: d:\inetpub\wwwroot\web.config Line: 0

The Application event log on the server shows the following:

Event code: 3008
Event message: A configuration error has occurred.
Event time: 1/26/2010 10:07:24 AM
Event time (UTC): 1/26/2010 6:07:24 PM
Event ID: 0a7a285d1dc442f2beae9eb280e790d2
Event sequence: 1
Event occurrence: 1
Event detail code: 0

Application information:

Application domain: /LM/W3SVC/1/Root/cms-apps/soecs-6-129090028445040279
Trust level: Full
Application Virtual Path: /cms-apps/soecs
Application Path: d:\inetpub\wwwroot\cms-apps\soecs\
Machine name: IISSTAGE

Process information:

Process ID: 4244
Process name: w3wp.exe
Account name: NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE

Exception information:

Exception type: ConfigurationErrorsException
Exception message: An error occurred loading a configuration file:
Failed to start monitoring changes to 'd:\inetpub\wwwroot\web.config' because
access is denied. (d:\inetpub\wwwroot\web.config)

Request information:

Request URL: http://iisstage/cms-apps/soecs/default.aspx
Request path: /cms-apps/soecs/default.aspx
User host address: 99.99.99.99
User:
Is authenticated: False
Authentication Type:

I've added the NETWORK SERVICE account to /cms/seocs root and gave it full
control. As well, I gave the ASP.NET group modify rights to the folder. But
that did not make a difference.

The odd thing about it is that there is no web.config file at
d:\inetpub\wwwroot\web.config. Does there need to be one?

Thanks for you assistance with this.

Alexey Smirnov

On Jan 26, 9:16*pm, Albert Frausto
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I've added the NETWORK SERVICE account to /cms/seocs root and gave it full
> control. As well, I gave the ASP.NET group modify rights to the folder. But
> that did not make a difference.
>
> The odd thing about it is that there is no web.config file at
> d:\inetpub\wwwroot\web.config. Does there need to be one?
>
> Thanks for you assistance with this.

Hi Albert,

ASP.NET requires read, execute, and list access for the NETWORK
SERVICE account on the root Web site or on any virtual directory. Did
you add access for the main "/" root?

More at: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/316721/

Hope this helps.

Albert Frausto

Alexey,

Thanks for the help.

I did as you instructed but I'm still getting the same error message. Does
there need to be a web.config file in the root directory
(d:\inetpub\wwwroot\) ?

Thanks,
Albert

"Alexey Smirnov" wrote:

> On Jan 26, 9:16 pm, Albert Frausto
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > I've added the NETWORK SERVICE account to /cms/seocs root and gave it full
> > control. As well, I gave the ASP.NET group modify rights to the folder. But
> > that did not make a difference.
> >
> > The odd thing about it is that there is no web.config file at
> > d:\inetpub\wwwroot\web.config. Does there need to be one?
> >
> > Thanks for you assistance with this.

> Hi Albert,
>
> ASP.NET requires read, execute, and list access for the NETWORK
> SERVICE account on the root Web site or on any virtual directory. Did
> you add access for the main "/" root?
>
> More at: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/316721/
>
> Hope this helps.
> .

Alexey Smirnov

On Jan 28, 11:00*pm, Albert Frausto
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Alexey,
>
> Thanks for the help.
>
> I did as you instructed but I'm still getting the same error message. Does
> there need to be a web.config file in the root directory
> (d:\inetpub\wwwroot\) ?
>
> Thanks,
> Albert
>

> "Alexey Smirnov" wrote:
> > On Jan 26, 9:16 pm, Albert Frausto
> > <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > > I've added the NETWORK SERVICE account to /cms/seocs root and gave it full
> > > control. As well, I gave the ASP.NET group modify rights to the folder. But
> > > that did not make a difference.

> > > The odd thing about it is that there is no web.config file at
> > > d:\inetpub\wwwroot\web.config. Does there need to be one?

> > > Thanks for you assistance with this.

> > Hi Albert,

> > ASP.NET requires read, execute, and list access for the NETWORK
> > SERVICE account on the root Web site or on any virtual directory. Did
> > you add access for the main "/" root?

> > More at:http://support.microsoft.com/kb/316721/

> > Hope this helps.

No, it's not required.

I tried to test your configuration. I created d:\inetpub\wwwroot and
located default.aspx in it

----------------
<%@Page%>
<%=DateTime.Now.ToString()%>
----------------

http://localhost/default.aspx -- it works

Then I created d:\inetpub\wwwroot\cms-apps\soecs and located
default.aspx in it

http://localhost/cms-apps/soecs/default.aspx -- it works

After that, I went to IIS, selected website/cms-apps/soecs, Properties
and created new application

http://localhost/cms-apps/soecs/default.aspx -- it works

So, I does not required any web.config in the root directory.

Try to follow my example and create new directories and see in what
step it stops working.

Hope this helps.

Albert Frausto

Hello Alexey,

I haven’t had any luck. The permissions appear to be the same. I even
tried giving the Everyone group “Full Control” again just to try to rule out
permissions. I’m not sure why the wwwroot works but wwwroot\cms-apps\seocs
doesn’t? I’m still seeing the following error in the event logs even though
I’ve given Network Service full control of the directory:

Event message: A configuration error has occurred.
Event time: 1/29/2010 2:09:27 PM
Event time (UTC): 1/29/2010 10:09:27 PM
Event ID: a7ab1e6bd52c4505a66de1b8156745ac
Event sequence: 1
Event occurrence: 1
Event detail code: 0

Application information:

Application domain: /LM/W3SVC/1/Root/cms-apps/seocs-6-29092765676908591
Trust level: Full
Application Virtual Path: /cms-apps/seocs
Application Path: d:\inetpub\wwwroot\cms-apps\seocs\
Machine name: IISSTAGE

Process information:
Process ID: 2388
Process name: w3wp.exe
Account name: NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE

Exception information:
Exception type: ConfigurationErrorsException
Exception message: An error occurred loading a configuration file:
Failed to start monitoring changes to
'd:\inetpub\wwwroot\cms-apps\web.config' because access is denied.
(d:\inetpub\wwwroot\cms-apps\web.config)

Request information:
Request URL: http://iisstage.pacific.edu/cms-apps/seocs/default.aspx
Request path: /cms-apps/seocs/default.aspx
User host address: 10.10.4.35
User:
Is authenticated: False
Authentication Type:
Thread account name: NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE

Thread information:
Thread ID: 5
Thread account name: NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE
Is impersonating: False
Stack trace: at
System.Web.HttpRuntime.HostingInit(HostingEnvironm entFlags hostingFlags)

Custom event details:

"Alexey Smirnov" wrote:

> On Jan 28, 11:00 pm, Albert Frausto
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > Alexey,
> >
> > Thanks for the help.
> >
> > I did as you instructed but I'm still getting the same error message. Does
> > there need to be a web.config file in the root directory
> > (d:\inetpub\wwwroot\) ?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Albert
> >

> > "Alexey Smirnov" wrote:

> > > Hi Albert,

> > > ASP.NET requires read, execute, and list access for the NETWORK
> > > SERVICE account on the root Web site or on any virtual directory. Did
> > > you add access for the main "/" root?

> > > More at:http://support.microsoft.com/kb/316721/

> > > Hope this helps.

> No, it's not required.
>
> I tried to test your configuration. I created d:\inetpub\wwwroot and
> located default.aspx in it
>
> ----------------
> <%@Page%>
> <%=DateTime.Now.ToString()%>
> ----------------
>
> http://localhost/default.aspx -- it works
>
> Then I created d:\inetpub\wwwroot\cms-apps\soecs and located
> default.aspx in it
>
> http://localhost/cms-apps/soecs/default.aspx -- it works
>
> After that, I went to IIS, selected website/cms-apps/soecs, Properties
> and created new application
>
> http://localhost/cms-apps/soecs/default.aspx -- it works
>
> So, I does not required any web.config in the root directory.
>
> Try to follow my example and create new directories and see in what
> step it stops working.
>
> Hope this helps.
> .

Alexey Smirnov

On Feb 3, 10:19*pm, Albert Frausto
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> [...]

> > > Thanks,
> > > Albert

> > No, it's not required.

> > I tried to test your configuration. I created d:\inetpub\wwwroot and
> > located default.aspx in it

> > ----------------
> > <%@Page%>
> > <%=DateTime.Now.ToString()%>
> > ----------------

> >http://localhost/default.aspx-- it works

> > Then I created d:\inetpub\wwwroot\cms-apps\soecs and located
> > default.aspx in it

> >http://localhost/cms-apps/soecs/default.aspx-- it works

> > After that, I went to IIS, selected website/cms-apps/soecs, Properties
> > and created new application

> >http://localhost/cms-apps/soecs/default.aspx-- it works

> > So, I does not required any web.config in the root directory.

> > Try to follow my example and create new directories and see in what

Why did the error message change? It was about

Failed to start monitoring changes to 'd:\inetpub\wwwroot\web.config'

Now it is

d:\inetpub\wwwroot\cms-apps\web.config

Albert Frausto

Hello Alexey,

The reason for the change in error message is because when we first placed
the default.aspx file (the one in cms-apps\seocs) file in the wwwroot\
directory and browsed the page at http://www.domainname.com/default.aspx we
received no errors. Initially, we were receiving the error message at this
point, but it was resolved.

It's only when we moved the default.aspx page to wwwroot\cms-apps\soecs\
that we received the change in the error message.

And in both scenarios there were no web.config files. Just fyi, cms-apps is
not a virtual directory.

Thanks,
Albert

"Alexey Smirnov" wrote:

> [...]

> > > located default.aspx in it

> > > ----------------
> > > <%@Page%>
> > > <%=DateTime.Now.ToString()%>
> > > ----------------

> > >http://localhost/default.aspx-- it works

> > > Then I created d:\inetpub\wwwroot\cms-apps\soecs and located
> > > default.aspx in it

> > >http://localhost/cms-apps/soecs/default.aspx-- it works

> > > After that, I went to IIS, selected website/cms-apps/soecs, Properties
> > > and created new application

> > >http://localhost/cms-apps/soecs/default.aspx-- it works

> > > So, I does not required any web.config in the root directory.

> > > Try to follow my example and create new directories and see in what
> > > step it stops working.

> > > Hope this helps.

> Why did the error message change? It was about
>
> Failed to start monitoring changes to 'd:\inetpub\wwwroot\web.config'

james

Hi,

Even I have faced the same issue. I have added

IIS-Resource-ASPNET
NETWORK SERVICE users to wwwroot folder with below permissions and its worked for me.

1) Read & Execute
2) List Floder Contents
3) Read

Regards,
Srini

Albert Frausto wrote:

Hello Alexey,The reason for the change in error message is because when we
17-Feb-10

Hello Alexey,

The reason for the change in error message is because when we first placed
the default.aspx file (the one in cms-apps\seocs) file in the wwwroot\
directory and browsed the page at http://www.domainname.com/default.aspx we
received no errors. Initially, we were receiving the error message at this
point, but it was resolved.

it is only when we moved the default.aspx page to wwwroot\cms-apps\soecs\
that we received the change in the error message.

And in both scenarios there were no web.config files. Just fyi, cms-apps is
not a virtual directory.

Thanks,
Albert

"Alexey Smirnov" wrote:

More Fun with Fluent NHibernate Automapping
http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials...uent-nhib.aspx

Alexey Smirnov

Hi Albert, did you fix this already?