Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Labour: Change we see but you can't photograph

Labour: Change we see but you can't photograph

my

Labour's ministry of truth in action again.

It wouldn't surprise me if the Department of Homeland Oppression has
encouraged the police to harass photographers. Otherwise, they'd have to
suppress the photos for 70 years, like the David Kelly post mortem report.

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/culture...nt-photograph/

Labour seems to have forgotten one of the first principles of
crowd-sourcing: the crowd may see things very differently from you.

The party has launched a social media campaign, entitled “Change we
see”, which asks people to share photographs of buildings that
illustrate Labour’s achievements since 1997. They hoped for images of
hospitals, schools, Sure Start centers and the like.

Instead, photographers have pointed out that one change they have seen is
a rise in the number of stop and searches by the police. So instead of
adding pretty pictures of their local hospital to the Flickr group, they
have uploaded copies of the stop and search forms they were given while
trying to take photos in public places.

Last Saturday, 2,000 photographers travelled to Trafalgar Square to
protest against police use of anti-terrorism legislation to stop and
search people taking pictures in public. Politicians still seem to
struggle to understand that social media is as much about listening as it
is about talking to people.

In the time it’s taken me to write this blog, worker bees have busily
removed images from the campaign’s Flickr pool. But how long do you
think it will be before more appear?!

Update: Labour has now deleted a discussion started by gnasheruk and has
locked the group so that no one can start a new discussion. And, as Jono
Warren pointed out, some troublesome soul has started a “Change we are
not allowed to see” Flickr group.