Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C++ > STL/CLR library in Visual Studio 2008

STL/CLR library in Visual Studio 2008

Vicent Giner-Bosch

This is a question related with Visual Studio 2008 --I hope you don't
mind.

At http://msdn.microsoft.com/es-es/library/bb385954.aspx they say
that "The STL/CLR Library is a packaging of the Standard Template
Library (STL), a subset of the Standard C++ Library, for use with C++
and the .NET Framework common language runtime (CLR). With STL/CLR,
you can use all the containers, iterators, and algorithms of STL in a
managed environment."

If I am not going to use .NET features, but only "Visual Studio" ones,
do I need STL/CLR library, or not? What does exactly "a managed
environment" mean??

Thank you for your answers.

Í÷ Tiib

On Jan 26, 8:59*pm, Vicent Giner-Bosch <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> This is a question related with Visual Studio 2008 --I hope you don't
> mind. *
>
> At *http://msdn.microsoft.com/es-es/library/bb385954.aspx* they say
> that "The STL/CLR Library is a packaging of the Standard Template
> Library (STL), a subset of the Standard C++ Library, for use with C++
> and the .NET Framework common language runtime (CLR). With STL/CLR,
> you can use all the containers, iterators, and algorithms of STL in a
> managed environment."
>
> If I am not going to use .NET features, but only "Visual Studio" ones,
> do I need STL/CLR library, or not? What does exactly "a managed
> environment" mean??

Microsoft has useful real C++ compiler in Visual Studio 2008. That
compiles real C++. It compiles quite well. If you do not want .NET
then you can use that C++ compiler just fine but everything 'managed'
turn off.

A "managed environment" there means .NET byte-code. In connection with
C++ it means a ghoul. It is a thing MS calls C++/CLI. It is undead C+
+, and .NET byte-code runs in its veins. If you want to use .NET then
write software in Visual Basic or C# but keep away from that ugly
abomination. In this newsgroup it is dangerous to mention it, people
may think you are infected.

Victor Bazarov

Í÷ Tiib wrote:
> [..]
> A "managed environment" there means .NET byte-code. In connection with
> C++ it means a ghoul. It is a thing MS calls C++/CLI. It is undead C+
> +, and .NET byte-code runs in its veins. If you want to use .NET then
> write software in Visual Basic or C# but keep away from that ugly
> abomination. In this newsgroup it is dangerous to mention it, people
> may think you are infected.

... and they will try to shoot you in the head!