Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP.NET, DataList, and WebService Question

ASP.NET, DataList, and WebService Question

Roger R. Smith

Anyway I am having a problem with Web Service and DataList in ASP.NET. so
the best way to explain it would be with the MSPetShop 3.0 Application.
I submitted an order using the Forms on http://localhost/MSPetShop. then I
created my own ASp.NET Project and I have a form on which I have a DataList,
b/c I want to display a bunch of items. BUt for this example I did the
following:

localhost.WebServices webservices = new localhost.WebServices();
localhost.OrderInfo order = webservices.GetOrder(1);
IList orderList = new ArrayList();
orderList.Add(order);
DataList1.DataSource = orderList;
DataList1.DataBind();
I added the Order to an ArrayList just to test, and then on the codebehind I
have the following:
<aspataList id="DataList1" style="Z-INDEX: 104; LEFT: 136px; POSITION:
absolute; TOP: 248px"
runat="server">
<HEADERTEMPLATE>
Roger
</HEADERTEMPLATE>
<ItemTemplate>
<TD><%# DataBinder.Eval(Container.DataItem, "OrderId") %></TD>
</ItemTemplate>
</aspataList>

but with this I am getting the following error:

Exception Details: System.Web.HttpException: DataBinder.Eval:
'WebServicePortal.localhost.OrderInfo' does not contain a property with the
name OrderId.

Source Error:

Line 45: </HEADERTEMPLATE>
Line 46: <ItemTemplate>
Line 47: <TD><%# DataBinder.Eval(Container.DataItem, "OrderId") %></TD>
Line 48: </ItemTemplate>
Line 49: </aspataList></P>

This is the same error I am getting on my application.
Any ideas?

Ken Cox [Microsoft MVP]

Hi Roger,

I don't think you need to use the DataBinder.Eval. Just display the
dataitem since there can be only one:

<aspataList id="DataList1" runat="server">
<HEADERTEMPLATE>
Roger
</HEADERTEMPLATE>
<ItemTemplate>
<TD><%# Container.DataItem %></TD>
</ItemTemplate>
</aspataList>

Ken
MVP [ASP.NET]

"Roger R. Smith" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Anyway I am having a problem with Web Service and DataList in ASP.NET. so
> the best way to explain it would be with the MSPetShop 3.0 Application.
> I submitted an order using the Forms on http://localhost/MSPetShop. then I
> created my own ASp.NET Project and I have a form on which I have a
> DataList,
> b/c I want to display a bunch of items. BUt for this example I did the
> following:
>
> localhost.WebServices webservices = new localhost.WebServices();
> localhost.OrderInfo order = webservices.GetOrder(1);
> IList orderList = new ArrayList();
> orderList.Add(order);
> DataList1.DataSource = orderList;
> DataList1.DataBind();
> I added the Order to an ArrayList just to test, and then on the codebehind
> have the following:
> <aspataList id="DataList1" style="Z-INDEX: 104; LEFT: 136px; POSITION:
> absolute; TOP: 248px"
> runat="server">
> <HEADERTEMPLATE>
> Roger
> </HEADERTEMPLATE>
> <ItemTemplate>
> <TD><%# DataBinder.Eval(Container.DataItem, "OrderId") %></TD>
> </ItemTemplate>
> </aspataList>
>
> but with this I am getting the following error:
>
> Exception Details: System.Web.HttpException: DataBinder.Eval:
> 'WebServicePortal.localhost.OrderInfo' does not contain a property with
> the
> name OrderId.
>
> Source Error:
>

> Line 45: </HEADERTEMPLATE>
> Line 46: <ItemTemplate>
> Line 47: <TD><%# DataBinder.Eval(Container.DataItem, "OrderId") %></TD>
> Line 48: </ItemTemplate>
> Line 49: </aspataList></P>
>

> This is the same error I am getting on my application.
> Any ideas?

Roger Smith

HI Ken, thanks so much for your help.
The only problem is, that was an example so for my real one, I do have
multiple properties to display.
Any ideas?
Thanks
Rog

Ken Cox [Microsoft MVP]

Hi Roger,

Perhaps you could post a sample of the data that you are getting so we could
analyze what need to be caught?

"Roger Smith" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> HI Ken, thanks so much for your help.
> The only problem is, that was an example so for my real one, I do have
> multiple properties to display.
> Any ideas?
> Thanks
> Rog

Roger R. Smith

Thanks Ken,
Well I tried the same basic thing but with DataGrid and I get the following:

to an instance of an object.

Source Error:

Line 27: localhost.OrderInfo order = service.GetOrder(1);
Line 28: orderList.Add(order);
Line 29: DataGrid1.DataSource = orderList;
Line 30: DataGrid1.DataBind();
Line 31: }

news:(E-Mail Removed)...