Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > amazon causes html not to validate

Reply
Thread Tools

amazon causes html not to validate

 
 
Jeff
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-26-2010
Hi

asp.net 3.5

I've created a site which originally the html validates. Now I've signed up
to Amazon.com as an affiliate. I selected 2 banners and a widget. These are
causing my html pages to not validate.

I'm trying first to solve this problem by myself, but there are a few things
which is troubling me:
The script from amazon contains an object tag with a hexe value as player
id. Inside this object tag there is a embed tag which also has the same
player id as in object tag... So in visual studio I get a green line under
both id's saying another object on page is using this id....
But how come it be wrong, it's made my amazon.com... they should have some
guys who knows their stuff. So wonder how I should change this

A lot of the rest of the errors are because of using & in the affiliate
link. But I don't understand why that's wrong to use &. The validator
suggests using & instead. Not sure what's best here...

Below I post the html of such an affiliate link so you better can see what I
mean:
<div style="width:336px; margin-left:auto; margin-right:auto;">
<object classid="clsid27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000"
codebase="http://fpdownload.macromedia.com/get/flashplayer/current/swflash.cab"
id="Player_31808dd6-254b-4a01-a484-3d300cef27c5" width="300px"
height="250px">
<param name="movie"
value="http://ws.amazon.com/widgets/q?ServiceVersion=20070822&MarketPlace=US&ID=V20070 822%2FUS%2FAFFILIATEID-20%2F8009%2F31808dd6-254b-4a01-a484-3d300cef27c5&Operation=GetDisplayTemplate">
<param name="quality" value="high">
<param name="bgcolor" value="#FFFFFF">
<param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always">
<embed
src="http://ws.amazon.com/widgets/q?ServiceVersion=20070822&MarketPlace=US&ID=V20070 822%2FUS%2FAFFILIATEID-20%2F8009%2F31808dd6-254b-4a01-a484-3d300cef27c5&Operation=GetDisplayTemplate"
id="Player_31808dd6-254b-4a01-a484-3d300cef27c5" quality="high"
bgcolor="#ffffff" name="Player_31808dd6-254b-4a01-a484-3d300cef27c5"
allowscriptaccess="always" type="application/x-shockwave-flash"
align="middle" height="250px" width="300px"></embed>
</object>
<noscript><a
href="http://ws.amazon.com/widgets/q?ServiceVersion=20070822&MarketPlace=US&ID=V20070 822%2FUS%2FAFFILIATEID-20%2F8009%2F31808dd6-254b-4a01-a484-3d300cef27c5&Operation=NoScript">Amazon.com
Widgets</a></noscript>
</div>

any suggesions?


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Alexey Smirnov
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-26-2010
On Jan 26, 3:12*pm, "Jeff" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Hi
>
> asp.net 3.5
>
> I've created a site which originally the html validates. Now I've signed up
> to Amazon.com as an affiliate. I selected 2 banners and a widget. These are
> causing my html pages to not validate.
>
> I'm trying first to solve this problem by myself, but there are a few things
> which is troubling me:
> The script from amazon contains an object tag with a hexe value as player
> id. Inside this object tag there is a embed tag which also has the same
> player id as in object tag... So in visual studio I get a green line under
> both id's saying another object on page is using this id....
> But how come it be wrong, it's made my amazon.com... they should have some
> guys who knows their stuff. So wonder how I should change this
>
> A lot of the rest of the errors are because of using & in the affiliate
> link. But I don't understand why that's wrong to use &. The validator
> suggests using &amp; instead. Not sure what's best here...
>
> Below I post the html of such an affiliate link so you better can see what I
> mean:
> <div style="width:336px; margin-left:auto; margin-right:auto;">
> * <object classid="clsid27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000"
> codebase="http://fpdownload.macromedia.com/get/flashplayer/current/swflash.cab"
> id="Player_31808dd6-254b-4a01-a484-3d300cef27c5" *width="300px"
> height="250px">
> * * <param name="movie"
> value="http://ws.amazon.com/widgets/q?ServiceVersion=20070822&MarketPlace=US...">
> * * <param name="quality" value="high">
> * * <param name="bgcolor" value="#FFFFFF">
> * * <param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always">
> * * <embed
> src="http://ws.amazon.com/widgets/q?ServiceVersion=20070822&MarketPlace=US..."
> id="Player_31808dd6-254b-4a01-a484-3d300cef27c5" quality="high"
> bgcolor="#ffffff" name="Player_31808dd6-254b-4a01-a484-3d300cef27c5"
> allowscriptaccess="always" *type="application/x-shockwave-flash"
> align="middle" height="250px" width="300px"></embed>
> * </object>
> * <noscript><a
> href="http://ws.amazon.com/widgets/q?ServiceVersion=20070822&MarketPlace=US...">Amazo n.com
> Widgets</a></noscript>
> </div>
>
> any suggesions?


The problem here is that adding Flash requires special code that
cannot be validated. For instance, <embed> is not a part of any
standardized version of HTML. Read more on http://www.alistapart.com/articles/flashsatay
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Andrew Morton
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-26-2010
Jeff wrote:
> A lot of the rest of the errors are because of using & in the
> affiliate link. But I don't understand why that's wrong to use &. The
> validator suggests using &amp; instead. Not sure what's best here...


"Special" characters in URLs should be URL-encoded, e.g. if you want a link
to

http://www.example.com/x.aspx?a=1&b=2
you enter it as
<a href="http://www.example.com/x.aspx?a=1&amp;b=2">

Andrew


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
how can I validate html produced by ajax (asynchronous dynamic html)? zzzbla@gmail.com HTML 7 05-13-2006 11:43 AM
confused - html validates, css validates but validate css from the html causes errors Titus A Ducksass - AKA broken-record HTML 6 11-15-2004 12:59 PM
Postback causes 100=Continue, causes double download prompt? Xavier Osa ASP .Net 0 01-09-2004 11:17 AM
Amazon wins patent for ordering HTML forms; Minimizing and Maximizing nospam ASP .Net 13 10-07-2003 04:33 PM



Advertisments