Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > stock photography archive on p2p

stock photography archive on p2p

sobriquet

On 26 jan, 23:23, "Peter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> "sobriquet" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>

> > On 26 jan, 19:21, "Peter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >> "sobriquet" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

> >>news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> >> That BS double talk does not mean you are free to use my creation without
> >> my
> >> approval. Especially my photographs.

> >> --
> >> Peter

> > Then you better keep your photographs to yourselves, to prevent them
> > from becoming
> > available on the internet in the form of a bitstring.
> > Once it's out there it's beyond your control, because all bitstrings
> > belong to the public domain and the only way to prevent a bitstring
> > from being shared is to keep it a secret.

> > So you can own bitstrings, but don't tell other people which
> > bitstrings you own, because there is no way for you to prevent other
> > people from duplicating and distributing such bitstrings and you just
> > make an idiot out of yourself by claiming those bitstrings are your
> > intellectual property.

> PLONK
>
> --
> Peter

Too bad you're either unwilling or unable to argue your side of the
debate.
It would be entertaining to see what system you'd propose to keep
track of ownership
of bitstrings.
It's far more sensible to acknowledge that all bitstrings are part of
the public domain and to reject copyright as a feeble and misguided
attempt of the traditional media corporations to keep their outdated
and redundant business models alive.

whisky-dave

"sobriquet" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On 26 jan, 17:39, "whisky-dave" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> "sobriquet" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>> > The intellectual property mafia owns your mind and soon you will have
>> > to pay them for using your brain,

>> I guess due to lack of use you wont get charged much.

> Gee, did you come up with that witty remark all by yourself?

Well yes, I didn;t need any help if that's what you mean.
I guess my invoice from the intellectual property mafia will be
significantly higher than yours.
Maybe you could give me some advice in reducing my bill.

sobriquet

On 27 jan, 14:25, "whisky-dave" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> "sobriquet" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
> > On 26 jan, 17:39, "whisky-dave" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >> "sobriquet" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

> >>news:(E-Mail Removed)....

> >> I guess due to lack of use you wont get charged much.

> > Gee, did you come up with that witty remark all by yourself?

> Well yes, I didn;t need any help if that's what you mean.
> I guess my invoice from the intellectual property mafia will be
> significantly higher than yours.
> *Maybe you could give me some advice in reducing my bill.

First of all I would advise you to claim ownership of and
responsibility for your own mind. But hey, it's your mind, so if you'd
like to prostitute yourself to the intellectual property mafia, that's
ultimately your choice.
Furthermore, it would be wise to stand up for your rights and demand a
neutral and transparent government that guarantees human rights
instead of constantly violating them.
In that respect a clear separation between religion and government is
equally important as a clear separation between corporate interests
and the government. As the government is supposed to provide a
framework that allows for fair competition amongst corporations
(otherwise you can't expect capitalism to work).

The computer is a natural extension of the brain and the ways it
offers to store, manipulate
and communicate information. Hence, just like it doesn't make sense to
apply copyright to letters, words or numbers, it doesn't make sense to
apply copyright to bitstrings (the difference between a binary number
and a bitstring is irrelevant).
Intellectual property is an untenable notion when applied to
bitstrings.
It does work more or less when you apply it to traditional forms of
information, like a book or analogue recording, in the context of
centralized publishers that benefit from copyright as a means to rule
out unfair competition amongst such entrepreneurs in the information
industry.
But in the context of contemporary information technology (computers
and the internet), it has lost all relevance and it's counter-
productive because it interferes with our ability to exploit the full
potential of information technology.

sobriquet

On 27 jan, 18:35, sobriquet <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>[..]
> The computer is a natural extension of the brain and the ways it
> offers to store, manipulate
> and communicate information. Hence, just like it doesn't make sense to
> apply copyright to characters, words or numbers, it doesn't make sense to
> apply copyright to bitstrings (the difference between a binary number
> and a bitstring is irrelevant).

Uh.. characters instead of letters.

sobriquet

On 28 jan, 04:00, Lunabella <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> sobriquet wrote:
> > On 26 jan, 19:21, "Peter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >> "sobriquet" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

> >>news:(E-Mail Removed)....

> >> That BS double talk does not mean you are free to use my creation without my
> >> approval. Especially my photographs.

> >> --
> >> Peter

> > Then you better keep your photographs to yourselves, to prevent them
> > from becoming
> > available on the internet in the form of a bitstring.
> > Once it's out there it's beyond your control, because all bitstrings
> > belong to the public domain and the only way to prevent a bitstring
> > from being shared is to keep it a secret.

> > So you can own bitstrings, but don't tell other people which
> > bitstrings you own, because there is no way for you to prevent other
> > people from duplicating and distributing such bitstrings and you just
> > make an idiot out of yourself by claiming those bitstrings are your
> > intellectual property.

> So, not to put too fine a point on it, but you're a thief who is trying
> to justify your thievery. *How do your parents feel about their failure
> to teach you ethics?

Thievery is ok, as long as you steal from thieves. The intellectual
property mafia
is a thievery corporation.
Just like crime is ok if the government consists of a bunch of nazi
criminals, or would you argue that people who abode by the law in
former Nazi Germany and reported the Jewish people hiding at the
neighbors were doing The Right Thing (TM)?

whisky-dave

"sobriquet" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
On 27 jan, 14:25, "whisky-dave" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> "sobriquet" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
> > On 26 jan, 17:39, "whisky-dave" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >> "sobriquet" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

> >>news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> >> I guess due to lack of use you wont get charged much.

> > Gee, did you come up with that witty remark all by yourself?

> Well yes, I didn;t need any help if that's what you mean.
> I guess my invoice from the intellectual property mafia will be
> significantly higher than yours.
> Maybe you could give me some advice in reducing my bill.

}First of all I would advise you to claim ownership of and
}responsibility for your own mind.

I do.

}But hey, it's your mind, so if you'd
}like to prostitute yourself to the intellectual property mafia, that's
}ultimately your choice.

Are you saying there's something wrong with 'prostitution' ?
Most people prostitute themselves in some way, most call it work though.

}Furthermore, it would be wise to stand up for your rights and demand a
}neutral and transparent government that guarantees human rights
}instead of constantly violating them.

Yep, I think I have the right to join any army I wish to fight in.
I've heard USains aren;t allowed to join any other army to fight.

}In that respect a clear separation between religion and government is
}equally important as a clear separation between corporate interests
}and the government.

yes like that's clear is it ?

}As the government is supposed to provide a
}framework that allows for fair competition amongst corporations
}(otherwise you can't expect capitalism to work).

Yep "supposed to provide" being the key point.

}The computer is a natural extension of the brain and the ways it
}offers to store, manipulate
}and communicate information.

No it's artificial. hence AI artifical inteligence.

}Hence, just like it doesn't make sense to
}apply copyright to letters, words or numbers, it doesn't make sense to
}apply copyright to bitstrings (the difference between a binary number
}and a bitstring is irrelevant).

Where profit is involved anything can make sense.

}Intellectual property is an untenable notion when applied to
}bitstrings.

I guess you've never read a M$ EUL.

}It does work more or less when you apply it to traditional forms of
}information, like a book or analogue recording, in the context of
}centralized publishers that benefit from copyright as a means to rule
}out unfair competition amongst such entrepreneurs in the information
}industry.
}But in the context of contemporary information technology (computers
}and the internet), it has lost all relevance and it's counter-
}productive because it interferes with our ability to exploit the full
}potential of information technology.

Ias that why piratebay and other torrent sites get closed down or recieve
cease and Foff letters ?

Peter

"whisky-dave" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

> Are you saying there's something wrong with 'prostitution' ?
> Most people prostitute themselves in some way, most call it work though.

Prostitution is an ancient and honorable profession, probably the oldest in
the world.

--
Peter

whisky-dave

"sobriquet" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> Who keeps track of ownership of bitstrings? Where can I find out who
> owns the following bitstring?
>
> 00101110111101001010000101011010111111010000000000 111010011011001000111000
>
> Can I claim ownership of it and put it on a CDROM, add a manual and
> put it in a box and sell it on eBay?

Yes you can, but I'd put a reserve of a few $1000, don't want to sell it to
cheaply.

It's not illegal to sell something you own on ebay you know.

sobriquet

On 28 jan, 14:57, "whisky-dave" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> "sobriquet" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On 27 jan, 14:25, "whisky-dave" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > "sobriquet" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

> >news:(E-Mail Removed)....

> > > Gee, did you come up with that witty remark all by yourself?

> > Well yes, I didn;t need any help if that's what you mean.
> > I guess my invoice from the intellectual property mafia will be
> > significantly higher than yours.
> > Maybe you could give me some advice in reducing my bill.

> }First of all I would advise you to claim ownership of and
> }responsibility for your own mind.
>
> I do.
>
> *}But hey, it's your mind, so if you'd
>
> }like to prostitute yourself to the intellectual property mafia, that's
> }ultimately your choice.
>
> Are you saying there's something wrong with 'prostitution' ?
> Most people prostitute themselves in some way, most call it work though.

Prostitution is ok, if the person who prostitutes him or herself does
it out
of free will and they can be expected to bear full responsibility for
their own life.
But often prostitution more closely resembles slavery when it's
associated with shady business practices like human trafficking,
exploitation and people who are working under poor conditions or they
do it to support a drug habit that might interfere with their free
will.

> }Furthermore, it would be wise to stand up for your rights and demand a
> }neutral and transparent government that guarantees human rights
> }instead of constantly violating them.
>
> Yep, I think I have the right to join any army *I wish to fight in.
> I've heard USains aren;t allowed to join any other army to fight.

So you're in the UK or something?

> }In that respect a clear separation between religion and government is
> }equally important as a clear separation between corporate interests
> }and the government.
>
> yes like that's clear is it ?
>
> }As the government is supposed to provide a
> }framework that allows for fair competition amongst corporations
> }(otherwise you can't expect capitalism to work).
>
> Yep "supposed to provide" being the key point.
>
> }The computer is a natural extension of the brain and the ways it
> }offers to store, manipulate
> }and communicate information.
>
> No it's artificial. hence AI artifical inteligence.

I meant natural in the following sense (www.m-w.com):
4 : having an essential relation with someone or something : following
from the nature of the one in question *his guilt is a natural
deduction from the evidence*

> *}Hence, just like it doesn't make sense to
>
> }apply copyright to letters, words or numbers, it doesn't make sense to
> }apply copyright to bitstrings (the difference between a binary number
> }and a bitstring is irrelevant).
>
> Where profit is involved anything can make sense.

Profit can't nullify the laws of physics nor make sense out of
nonsense.
Copyright being applied to bitstrings amounts to nonsense, like a law
that prohibits
gravity near mountains in order to prevent people from falling to
their death.

> }Intellectual property is an untenable notion when applied to
> }bitstrings.
>
> I guess you've never read a M$ EUL.

Does anyone ever actually read them instead of clicking them away?
I think they are completely unintelligible to people without a legal
background anyway.

> }It does work more or less when you apply it to traditional forms of
> }information, like a book or analogue recording, in the context of
> }centralized publishers that benefit from copyright as a means to rule
> }out unfair competition amongst such entrepreneurs in the information
> }industry.
> }But in the context of contemporary information technology (computers
> }and the internet), it has lost all relevance and it's counter-
> }productive because it interferes with our ability to exploit the full
> }potential of information technology.
>
> Ias that why piratebay and other torrent sites get closed down or recieve
> cease and Foff letters ?

Piratebay seems to be working ok. For every bittorrent site they
manage to close, ten new ones appear. So the attempts to enforce
copyright, either by means of intimidation, harassment, litigation or
DRM have all been ineffective as filesharing/piracy has only increased
over the years and is rampant like never before.

sobriquet

On 28 jan, 18:30, "whisky-dave" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> "sobriquet" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
> > Who keeps track of ownership of bitstrings? Where can I find out who
> > owns the following bitstring?

> > 00101110111101001010000101011010111111010000000000 111010011011001000111000

> > Can I claim ownership of it and put it on a CDROM, add a manual and
> > put it in a box and sell it on eBay?

> Yes you can, *but I'd put a reserve of a few $1000, don't want to sell it to
> cheaply.
>
> It's not illegal to sell something you own on ebay you know.

You can't.. some corporation might claim it's their intellectual
property and they have a lot of money to sue you, so it's probably not
a good idea to sell bitstrings indiscriminately on ebay like that,
even if you generated the bitstring yourself, or you found it on p2p
and you're not sure if it belongs to the public domain.

But if you share such bitstrings on p2p, it's unlikely you get into
trouble, because you just share it for a little while and then the
people downloading it are sharing it collectively and nobody needs to
share a complete copy.. as soon as a downloader as completed a copy,
he doesn't need to share it anymore and he doesn't risk legal
consequences as they will typically target people who share complete
copies long enough for them to be tracked down by agencies that seek
to identify infringing files in order to criminalize the people
sharing them.
Also, the internet is an international phenomenon, so people can
simply share files in a location where laws on filesharing are more
lenient.
Like in the Netherlands where I live, people are legally allowed to
copy most things for personal use, even if they don't have an original
copy. So I can legally download copyrighted music, movies or books for
free from p2p and I wouldn't break any laws (as there is a tax on
information where I live to compensate for such personal copies).