Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > Send text message to phone

Send text message to phone

DavidC

Is there a way in asp.net to send a text message to someones cell phone? We
are sending email out using System.Net.Mail but not sure how to send a text
message. Any help is appreciated.
--
David

Alexey Smirnov

On Jan 26, 12:00*am, DavidC <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Is there a way in asp.net to send a text message to someones cell phone? *We
> are sending email out using System.Net.Mail but not sure how to send a text
> message. *Any help is appreciated.
> --
> David

You need to use a service which will be able to send messages in your
country.

Here's an example of such service and using it
http://www.webservicex.net/WCF/Servi...ls.aspx?SID=20
http://www.codeproject.com/KB/aspnet/SendingSMS.aspx

Hope this helps

Paul Shapiro

"DavidC" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Is there a way in asp.net to send a text message to someones cell phone?
> We
> are sending email out using System.Net.Mail but not sure how to send a
> text
> message. Any help is appreciated.
> --
> David

I don't know if it's universal, but for both Verizon and Sprint in the USA
you can email a message to an email address built from the phone number and
the carrier's text-messaging mail domain. For example, for Verizon an email
to http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) would be delivered as a text message to phone number
999-123-4567. I think messages are limited to about 160 characters, so you
have to break up the message into multiple emails if it's longer than the
limit.

Alexey Smirnov

On Jan 26, 4:39*am, "Paul Shapiro" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:
> "DavidC" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
> > Is there a way in asp.net to send a text message to someones cell phone?
> > We
> > are sending email out using System.Net.Mail but not sure how to send a
> > text
> > message. *Any help is appreciated.
> > --
> > David

> I don't know if it's universal, but for both Verizon and Sprint in the USA
> you can email a message to an email address built from the phone number and
> the carrier's text-messaging mail domain. For example, for Verizon an email
> to (E-Mail Removed) would be delivered as a text message to phone number
> 999-123-4567. I think messages are limited to about 160 characters, so you
> have to break up the message into multiple emails if it's longer than the
> limit.

Yes, some providers do such services, but this is not universal.

I found a good post by Kevin Jones, I think he covered most of the
questions you may have here: http://forums.asp.net/t/1459384.aspx

Hope this helps

Gregory A. Beamer

Here is a list of providers you can send to via email. As much as possible,
this is a good direction, as it is less costly than setting up an SMS
gateway.
http://www.mutube.com/projects/open-.../gateway-list/

Then you use your normal email mechanism to send SMS, remembering to keep
messages short for these clients.

For other providers, you have a couple of choices:

1. Set up your own SMS gateway. There are some open source implementations
out there, none in .NET yet that I know of, however.
2. Work with an SMS gateway service provider.

The second option is a bit more costly in the long run, but generally far
easier to set up.

--
Peace and Grace,
Greg