Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Living room computer

Living room computer

n o s p a m p l e a s e

I am on lookout for a powerful living room computer that would enable
me view streaming media on 40" Samsung LED TV.

What would be your recommendation?

richard

On Mon, 25 Jan 2010 13:41:35 -0800 (PST), n o s p a m p l e a s e wrote:

> I am on lookout for a powerful living room computer that would enable
> me view streaming media on 40" Samsung LED TV.
>
> What would be your recommendation?

Nasa space shuttle.

John Holmes

Dan Birchall "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

> I don't have an answer right off the cuff

Don't bother to reply and pollute this fine froup then.

--
<snip>

n o s p a m p l e a s e

On Jan 25, 10:53*pm, Dan Birchall <nob...@imaginary-
host.danbirchall.com> wrote:
> (E-Mail Removed) (n o s p a m p l e a s e) wrote:
>
> > *I am on lookout for a powerful living room computer that would enable
> > *me view streaming media on 40" Samsung LED TV.

> > *What would be your recommendation?

> I don't have an answer right off the cuff, but... do you want to do
> other things with the computer as well as watching streaming media?
> Games? *Office? *Handling your own music/photos/video? *And do you

No games and no office. Just watching streaming media. Best experience
sought.

> plan to use the 40" as your primary display, or do you want to have a
> regular screen for the computer, with the 40" as a secondary?

40" TV as the only display.

chuckcar

n o s p a m p l e a s e <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> I am on lookout for a powerful living room computer that would enable
> me view streaming media on 40" Samsung LED TV.
>
> What would be your recommendation?

Why do you want a computer to do what a DVD player will do just as good
for far less?

If you're talking about youtube, forget it, It's quality is far less than TV
standards and on a 40" TV it will look like junk. 320x200 I believe. Likewise
unless you *know* the resolution is over ~600x400 it will be true for that as well.

Standard NTSC TV is 525x262 BTW.

--
(setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

n o s p a m p l e a s e

On Jan 26, 4:07*am, chuckcar <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> n o s p a m p l e a s e <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote innews:(E-Mail Removed):
>
> > I am on lookout for a powerful living room computer that would enable
> > me view streaming media on 40" Samsung LED TV.

> > What would be your recommendation?

> Why do you want a computer to do what a DVD player will do just as good
> for far less?

Well if you are an alien in a country where your language is not
spoken, you will have to use your TV other way around.

> If you're talking about youtube, forget it, It's quality is far less than TV
> standards and on a 40" TV it will look like junk. 320x200 I believe. Likewise
> unless you *know* the resolution is over ~600x400 it will be true for that as well.

Good TVs today have 1920x1080.

I need a high performance HTPC.

Aardvark

On Tue, 26 Jan 2010 03:07:35 +0000, chuckcar wrote:

> If you're talking about youtube, forget it, It's quality

It certainly isn't. Who told you that?

--
Algy met a bear
The bear was bulgy

Ozark

On Jan 25, 3:41*pm, n o s p a m p l e a s e <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:
> I am on lookout for a powerful living room computer that would enable
> me view streaming media on 40" Samsung LED TV.
>
> What would be your recommendation?

I am considering the Boxy Box when it comes available:
http://dvice.com/archives/2009/12/boxee-box-looks.php

I suppose if you are really determined to use a PC just about anything
with a good video card with HDMI output should do the trick. I don't
believe you need a super powerful computer. I use an HP with windows
XP Media edition. FYI most online streaming stuff is low def and
doesn't really look too good on my 32" TV.

Ozark

me@privacy.net

Ozark <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I am considering the Boxy Box when it comes available:
>http://dvice.com/archives/2009/12/boxee-box-looks.php

why would you go for that over a desktop computer with
proper vide cards?

David Arnstein

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
n o s p a m p l e a s e <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>I am on lookout for a powerful living room computer that would enable
>me view streaming media on 40" Samsung LED TV.

I am getting good results using an Apple Mac Mini. Advantages:

1. Compact size. Mini, in fact.

2. Very quiet. A lot of mini peecees have loud fan noise.

3. 1080P video output via DVI-->HDMI cable. Separate analog audio cables
are required though.

4. A (very basic) remote control is included.

5. Solid Apple software.

6. Interesting and free media player software is under development,
including Boxee and Plex.

The only possible down side of the Mini is that high bitrate 1080I or
1080P bitstreams really push the little Mac to its limits. I don't have
a lot of experience with this. Besides, My Mini is not the latest model
so my experience isn't worth much.

Do you have an iPhone or a iPod Touch? Logitech has free "Touch Mouse"
software that turns your iPhone or iPod into a keyboard/mouse for your
computer. This is great for living room use.
--
David Arnstein (00)
(E-Mail Removed) {{ }}

Living Room Furniture & Bedroom Furniture ! SueAllen7@gmail.com Digital Photography 1 06-23-2007 10:27 PM
Bermuda triangle in my living room? shmnky@gmail.com Wireless Networking 1 05-30-2007 09:56 AM
If you work for a living, check this out! bigal The Lounge 1 03-09-2006 06:00 AM
Sick of Living Dan Plan MCSE 3 07-28-2004 11:17 AM
Re: Computer Room Design Colin B. Computer Security 0 05-10-2004 02:42 PM

Advertisments