Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCTS > MCTS 70-680 training kit. Using bcdedit to add VHD to boot menu

MCTS 70-680 training kit. Using bcdedit to add VHD to boot menu

japmac

Hi I am currently going the Microsoft Press 70-680 training kit (Configuring
Windows 7).
I have created a virtual disk in disk management and formatted it with NTFS
and the disk is online so all good, but when I follow the instructions to add
the disk to the boot menu using bcdedit I receive the errors "the device is
not valid as speciifed" and "the parameter is incorrect"
The instructions are as follows:
In an elevated command prompt enter:
bcdedit /copy {current} /d "myvhd" - this returns the GUID , so far,so good!
bcdedit /set {guid} device vhd=partition w: - i obviuosly have replaced
{guid} with my specific guid and the volume label for my virtual drive is W
but I still get the formentioned errors.
Anybody any ideas where I am going wrong?

Andrei Andrade

"japmac" wrote:

> Hi I am currently going the Microsoft Press 70-680 training kit (Configuring
> Windows 7).
> I have created a virtual disk in disk management and formatted it with NTFS
> and the disk is online so all good, but when I follow the instructions to add
> the disk to the boot menu using bcdedit I receive the errors "the device is
> not valid as speciifed" and "the parameter is incorrect"
> The instructions are as follows:
> In an elevated command prompt enter:
> bcdedit /copy {current} /d "myvhd" - this returns the GUID , so far,so good!
> bcdedit /set {guid} device vhd=partition w: - i obviuosly have replaced
> {guid} with my specific guid and the volume label for my virtual drive is W
> but I still get the formentioned errors.
> Anybody any ideas where I am going wrong?

LT

Try
bcdedit /set {guid} device partition=w:

This book is riddled with errors and makes self paced training painful. I
am stuck at the very next line - bcdedit /set {guid} osdevice
vhd=c:\vhds\myvhd.vhd

the kb posted does not have these corrections.

"japmac" wrote:

> Hi I am currently going the Microsoft Press 70-680 training kit (Configuring
> Windows 7).
> I have created a virtual disk in disk management and formatted it with NTFS
> and the disk is online so all good, but when I follow the instructions to add
> the disk to the boot menu using bcdedit I receive the errors "the device is
> not valid as speciifed" and "the parameter is incorrect"
> The instructions are as follows:
> In an elevated command prompt enter:
> bcdedit /copy {current} /d "myvhd" - this returns the GUID , so far,so good!
> bcdedit /set {guid} device vhd=partition w: - i obviuosly have replaced
> {guid} with my specific guid and the volume label for my virtual drive is W
> but I still get the formentioned errors.
> Anybody any ideas where I am going wrong?

concretelizard concretelizard is offline
Junior Member

Have a look at http://oreilly.com/catalog/errata.cs...=9780735627086, as this has a list of corrections for the book which may help

Radiance

i found the correct commandlines here:

http://blogs.technet.com/aviraj/arch...on-part-2.aspx

"LT" wrote:

> Try
> bcdedit /set {guid} device partition=w:
>
> This book is riddled with errors and makes self paced training painful. I
> am stuck at the very next line - bcdedit /set {guid} osdevice
> vhd=c:\vhds\myvhd.vhd
>
> the kb posted does not have these corrections.
>
> "japmac" wrote:
>
> > Hi I am currently going the Microsoft Press 70-680 training kit (Configuring
> > Windows 7).
> > I have created a virtual disk in disk management and formatted it with NTFS
> > and the disk is online so all good, but when I follow the instructions to add
> > the disk to the boot menu using bcdedit I receive the errors "the device is
> > not valid as speciifed" and "the parameter is incorrect"
> > The instructions are as follows:
> > In an elevated command prompt enter:
> > bcdedit /copy {current} /d "myvhd" - this returns the GUID , so far,so good!
> > bcdedit /set {guid} device vhd=partition w: - i obviuosly have replaced
> > {guid} with my specific guid and the volume label for my virtual drive is W
> > but I still get the formentioned errors.
> > Anybody any ideas where I am going wrong?

Radiance

the commandlines to which ik referred don't seem to work after all.

"Radiance" wrote:

> i found the correct commandlines here:
>
> http://blogs.technet.com/aviraj/arch...on-part-2.aspx
>
> "LT" wrote:
>
> > Try
> > bcdedit /set {guid} device partition=w:
> >
> > This book is riddled with errors and makes self paced training painful. I
> > am stuck at the very next line - bcdedit /set {guid} osdevice
> > vhd=c:\vhds\myvhd.vhd
> >
> > the kb posted does not have these corrections.
> >
> > "japmac" wrote:
> >
> > > Hi I am currently going the Microsoft Press 70-680 training kit (Configuring
> > > Windows 7).
> > > I have created a virtual disk in disk management and formatted it with NTFS
> > > and the disk is online so all good, but when I follow the instructions to add
> > > the disk to the boot menu using bcdedit I receive the errors "the device is
> > > not valid as speciifed" and "the parameter is incorrect"
> > > The instructions are as follows:
> > > In an elevated command prompt enter:
> > > bcdedit /copy {current} /d "myvhd" - this returns the GUID , so far,so good!
> > > bcdedit /set {guid} device vhd=partition w: - i obviuosly have replaced
> > > {guid} with my specific guid and the volume label for my virtual drive is W
> > > but I still get the formentioned errors.
> > > Anybody any ideas where I am going wrong?

Radiance

check:
http://www.amazon.com/70-680-Errata-...sin=0735627088

bug in arith.vhd? Attila Csosz VHDL 1 01-17-2005 02:31 AM
Re: Quartus warning in NUMERIC_STD.vhd Mike Treseler VHDL 2 07-13-2003 05:07 PM
how to compile .vhd files one by one using makefile MACEI'S VHDL 0 07-10-2003 05:18 PM

Advertisments