Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Brit police assert their right to try to bolster P.M. Brown'sterrible poll numbers

Brit police assert their right to try to bolster P.M. Brown'sterrible poll numbers

RichA

He's riding along at about 28% and a major terror alert is issued. No
surprise. I remember this from the U.S. happening more than a few
times.

BBC:

Photographers' terror law protest

Professional and amateur photographers have gathered in London's
Trafalgar Square to protest against terror stop and searches.

The photographers say police are intimidating people with cameras in
tactics to target possible terrorists.

Last week the European Court of Human Rights ruled the power to stop
people without suspicion was indiscriminate.

The government is appealing, saying it is vital to make cities a
hostile place for any possible attacker.

Rising tensions

Freelance photographer and writer Marc Vallee, who helped organise the
protest, said: "It's quite surreal today but we are pleased with the
support.

"It's quite obvious that professional photographers across the country
are being searched because they are photographers not because they are
suspicious.

"It's a common law right to take pictures in public places and we are
here to show that."

The demonstration comes after a year of rising tensions between
professional photographers and police over the exact scope of Section
44 of the Terrorism Act 2000.
Stories of photographers being stopped for taking pictures have
become a regular feature
Phil Coomes BBC News website picture editor

This special stop and search power allows police in specifically
designated areas to stop people without suspicion of wrongdoing in an
attempt to make it difficult for potential attackers to move around.

It is used in some key areas of London and other cities or airports
where counter-terrorism officers suspect that violent extremists may
be looking for targets.

According to the latest available figures, some 36,000 people were
stopped under the power between April and June last year.

But photographers say the practical effect has been that increasing
numbers of people with cameras are being left intimidated, angry and
afraid after being asked to account for their actions.

Shami Chakrabarti, director of human rights group Liberty, said it had
warned of the dangers of blanket stop and search for a decade.

She said: "We have been completely vindicated by the Court of Human
Rights and in the coming weeks MPs will have the chance to change this
law. Let's hope they step up to their responsibilities."

A series of controversial incidents over the past year have included
photographers being stopped while taking pictures of landmarks and
public buildings.

A separate counter-terrorism law, which in theory restricts the rights
to photograph police officers, has added to the tensions.

Advice to officers

Shortly before Christmas, Assistant Commissioner John Yates, the head
of counter-terrorism at the Metropolitan Police, warned officers they
risked losing public confidence if they did not use the Section 44
powers sensibly.
In my view, section 44 is being used far too often on a random basis
without any reasoning behind its use
Lord Carlile Government independent reviewer of anti-terrorist
legislation

But last week the European Court of Human Rights ruled the entire law
was illegal because it was indiscriminate rather than properly
targeted at the threat.

The government is appealing against that ruling and the power remains
in force in the meantime.

Chief Constable Craig Mackey, the Association of Chief Police
Officers' (Acpo) spokesman on stop and search, said: "Acpo has stated
previously that everyone - photographers, members of the media and the
general public - has a right to take photographs and film in public
places. That has not changed.

"It is the job of police officers out on the beat to be vigilant, to
keep an eye out for any suspicious behaviour and to act accordingly.

"And there is no doubt that every day their vigilance stops crime.
Used correctly, stop and search is a powerful tool that can help
protect all our communities from terrorism. Protecting the public
remains our priority."

RichA wrote:
> He's riding along at about 28% and a major terror alert is issued. No
> surprise. I remember this from the U.S. happening more than a few
> times.

Sometimes we need protection from our protectors.

Peter

Peter Huebner

In article <a2a9a2d9-b750-4eda-b164-
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed) says...

> BBC:
>
> Photographers' terror law protest

It's disgraceful. I saw first signs of this when, shortly after first
coming into power, Blair and Brown tabled a proposal to allow the police
to indiscriminately read everybody's email, and requiring ISP to keep
records of all their customers' activities for the plods to peruse at
will. (nb: you need a judge to ok reading somebody's snail mail or
tapping their phone; sooo .... ?!?)

I was wondering at the time why there wasn't a huge outcry in Britain.

These guys are on the path to make George Orwell's 1984 come true. Evil
bastards, the both of them, I'm sure a lot of ex-Stasi agents are
looking on with envy (too late for the ex-Gestapo guys; they're gone).
They're working hard to abolish the freedom and security that they're
claiming to protect. {shudder}

-P.

RichA

On Jan 23, 9:03*pm, Peter Huebner <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> In article <a2a9a2d9-b750-4eda-b164-
> (E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed) says...
>

> > BBC:

> > *Photographers' terror law protest

> It's disgraceful. I saw first signs of this when, shortly after first
> coming into power, Blair and Brown tabled a proposal to allow the police
> to indiscriminately read everybody's email, and requiring ISP to keep
> records of all their customers' activities for the plods to peruse at
> will. (nb: you need a judge to ok reading somebody's snail mail or
> tapping their phone; sooo .... ?!?)

The NSA sent them both a lovely Christmas basket over that one.

Marcus

On Sun, 24 Jan 2010 15:03:05 +1300, Peter Huebner <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote this:

>It's disgraceful. I saw first signs of this when, shortly after first
>coming into power, Blair and Brown tabled a proposal to allow the police
>to indiscriminately read everybody's email, and requiring ISP to keep
>records of all their customers' activities for the plods to peruse at
>will. (nb: you need a judge to ok reading somebody's snail mail or
>tapping their phone; sooo .... ?!?)

I thought it was that great campaigner against totalitarian regimes
Jack Straw when he was Home Secretary?

Well he appeared to be, in his student days, such a campaigner!!!

Marcus
..
-------- The Simon Phenomenon ---------
"Conformity means death for any community. A loyal
opposition is a necessity in any community."
Said Karol Wojtyla (1969)
As he set about destroying those who disagreed with him.
-------- Oh! Well!! He was Pope. ----------

Adrian

On Sat, 23 Jan 2010 18:17:04 +0000, RichA wrote
(in article
<(E-Mail Removed)>):

> Shortly before Christmas, Assistant Commissioner John Yates, the head
> of counter-terrorism at the Metropolitan Police, warned officers they
> risked losing public confidence if they did not use the Section 44
> powers sensibly.

I am afraid it is already to late to worry about loss of confidence. I am a
63 year old retired engineer who for most of my life has been a strong
supporter of our police.

That is now a thing of the past and while I am sure there are still some
decent individual coppers, as an institution the police are pretty much a law
unto themselves and government, and certainly no longer defenders of the
public and our liberty.

No, we are not moving towards a police state, we have already arrived, and
that is something I never thought I would say.

RIP Freedom, Liberty and Privacy

Adrian

Kennedy McEwen

In article
<(E-Mail Removed)>,
RichA <(E-Mail Removed)> writes
>BBC:
>
> Photographers' terror law protest
>
>Professional and amateur photographers have gathered in London's
>Trafalgar Square to protest against terror stop and searches.
>
>The photographers say police are intimidating people with cameras in
>tactics to target possible terrorists.

<SNIP>
>"It's quite obvious that professional photographers across the country
>are being searched because they are photographers not because they are
>suspicious.
>
>"It's a common law right to take pictures in public places and we are
>here to show that."

What is the use of mass protest like the Trafalgar Square rally? All it
shows is that nobody agrees with the current legislation but does
nothing to change it.

Instead, why doesn't every professional and amateur photographer in the
country abide by Section 44 of the 2009 Anti-terrorism Law to its finest
letter and *refuse* to photograph or publish any image of the political
parties, their enforcers the police, or their financiers the bankers and
landed gentry until *after* the General Election on May 6th. It will be
interesting to see what sort of government the UK elect if they are
reduced to media coverage typical of 2 centuries ago.

Would anyone know who Peter Mandelson or Jack Straw was if their face
wasn't plastered across the UK media every day? It is in the power of
photographers and videographers to shut these ****wits up. Completely
and legally - as a consequence of the laws the idiots voted in!

You will see the law being changed soon enough when the political
parties and the ruling class are starved of the publicity they crave!
--
Kennedy