Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Wi-Fi Connectivity Problem

Wi-Fi Connectivity Problem

hounslow3@yahoo.co.uk

I have an older computer notebook, about 2003, which uses a Belkin
plug-in card to connect to wireless Internet.

The computer is a little slow. But it is no longer on day-to-day
operations and will work without a problem if you don't abuse it. Same
thing with the Belkin card, which I purchased about five years ago.

But when I have lately tried to connect to that wi-fi network, the
computer tells me that it cannot do so. However, it does connect
automatically to a British Telecom public wireless Internet, which
requires payment for use.

Thus, I am wondering if there is some setting that I am missing or that
I can change in Network Connections, which will allow me to connect to
the private wi-fi network. I've always worked with that network without
any problems.

The computer continues to tell me that the private wi-fi network is
there, and I do have the authorisation codes for it. But the computer
simply won't let me connect to it.

So, what I can do to remedy this situation?

Thanks.

JD

On 23/01/2010 3:37 PM, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> I have an older computer notebook, about 2003, which uses a Belkin
> plug-in card to connect to wireless Internet.
>
> The computer is a little slow. But it is no longer on day-to-day
> operations and will work without a problem if you don't abuse it. Same
> thing with the Belkin card, which I purchased about five years ago.
>
> But when I have lately tried to connect to that wi-fi network, the
> computer tells me that it cannot do so. However, it does connect
> automatically to a British Telecom public wireless Internet, which
> requires payment for use.
>
> Thus, I am wondering if there is some setting that I am missing or that
> I can change in Network Connections, which will allow me to connect to
> the private wi-fi network. I've always worked with that network without
> any problems.
>
> The computer continues to tell me that the private wi-fi network is
> there, and I do have the authorisation codes for it. But the computer
> simply won't let me connect to it.
>
> So, what I can do to remedy this situation?
>
> Thanks.

What operating system is it (9x-ME/Vista/Win7) ?

are you using the windows wireless connection wizard or software that
came with the Belkin card ?

Make and model of the wireless router (is it yours) ?

did it stop working after a system update ?

with out more info on your machine its hard to say what the problem is,
however the connection settings in windows can get corrupted from time
to time if you are using the windows wireless wizard then you should try:

Right clicking on your "Wireless Connection" in your task bar (beside
clock) > View Available Wireless Networks > On the LEFT hand side where
it say's Change advanced settings > Wireless Settings TAB > you will see
a list of preferred networks, highlight them and remove them all,
restart your machine and click on the network you want and re-enter the
password.

if that dose not work re-post with more info.

JD

hounslow3@yahoo.co.uk

On 23.01.10 17:29, JD wrote:
> On 23/01/2010 3:37 PM, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>> I have an older computer notebook, about 2003, which uses a Belkin
>> plug-in card to connect to wireless Internet.
>>
>> The computer is a little slow. But it is no longer on day-to-day
>> operations and will work without a problem if you don't abuse it. Same
>> thing with the Belkin card, which I purchased about five years ago.
>>
>> But when I have lately tried to connect to that wi-fi network, the
>> computer tells me that it cannot do so. However, it does connect
>> automatically to a British Telecom public wireless Internet, which
>> requires payment for use.
>>
>> Thus, I am wondering if there is some setting that I am missing or that
>> I can change in Network Connections, which will allow me to connect to
>> the private wi-fi network. I've always worked with that network without
>> any problems.
>>
>> The computer continues to tell me that the private wi-fi network is
>> there, and I do have the authorisation codes for it. But the computer
>> simply won't let me connect to it.
>>
>> So, what I can do to remedy this situation?
>>
>> Thanks.

> What operating system is it (9x-ME/Vista/Win7) ?

XP

> are you using the windows wireless connection wizard or software that
> came with the Belkin card ?

The latter

> Make and model of the wireless router (is it yours) ?

No idea.

> did it stop working after a system update ?

Not sure, but I don't think so.

> with out more info on your machine its hard to say what the problem is,
> however the connection settings in windows can get corrupted from time
> to time if you are using the windows wireless wizard then you should try:
>
> Right clicking on your "Wireless Connection" in your task bar (beside
> clock) > View Available Wireless Networks > On the LEFT hand side where
> it say's Change advanced settings > Wireless Settings TAB > you will see
> a list of preferred networks, highlight them and remove them all,
> restart your machine and click on the network you want and re-enter the
> password.
>
> if that dose not work re-post with more info.

Will do. Many thanks for advice.

Jeff Strickland

I suggest looking for a new driver to the wireless adaptor.

During the time you have had it, Windows has gone through several updates
and 3 Service Packs, this is the sort of stuff that makes a driver outdated.

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:RIE6n.84216$(E-Mail Removed)2...
>I have an older computer notebook, about 2003, which uses a Belkin plug-in
>card to connect to wireless Internet.
>
> The computer is a little slow. But it is no longer on day-to-day
> operations and will work without a problem if you don't abuse it. Same
> thing with the Belkin card, which I purchased about five years ago.
>
> But when I have lately tried to connect to that wi-fi network, the
> computer tells me that it cannot do so. However, it does connect
> automatically to a British Telecom public wireless Internet, which
> requires payment for use.
>
> Thus, I am wondering if there is some setting that I am missing or that I
> can change in Network Connections, which will allow me to connect to the
> private wi-fi network. I've always worked with that network without any
> problems.
>
> The computer continues to tell me that the private wi-fi network is there,
> and I do have the authorisation codes for it. But the computer simply
> won't let me connect to it.
>
> So, what I can do to remedy this situation?
>
> Thanks.

Jeff Strickland

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:kKI6n.61034$(E-Mail Removed)2...

>> are you using the windows wireless connection wizard or software that
>> came with the Belkin card ?
>>

> The latter

Use the Windows Wireless Connection instead of the Belkin software.

hounslow3@yahoo.co.uk

On 23.01.10 21:41, Jeff Strickland wrote:
> I suggest looking for a new driver to the wireless adaptor.
>
> During the time you have had it, Windows has gone through several updates
> and 3 Service Packs, this is the sort of stuff that makes a driver outdated.

The computer was updated with all three service packs, and yet the
driver continued working without a problem.

hounslow3@yahoo.co.uk

On 23.01.10 23:44, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> On 23.01.10 21:41, Jeff Strickland wrote:
>> I suggest looking for a new driver to the wireless adaptor.
>>
>> During the time you have had it, Windows has gone through several updates
>> and 3 Service Packs, this is the sort of stuff that makes a driver
>> outdated.
>>

> The computer was updated with all three service packs, and yet the
> driver continued working without a problem.

Well, I took the computer to the W-fi hub, where I normally work with
it. This time round, it recognised all the other hubs in the area,
except for the one, next to which I was sitting. Despite resets and some
poor attempts at reconfiguring, it would simply not recognise or accept
the signal.

Other peoples' computer in the area, plus my own iPhone picked up the
hub's signal. But mine simply wouldn't.

It did, of course, connect itself to the BT Open Zone public domain, but
at the same time the Webpages simply said that an Internet connection
not possible.

Advice is greatly appreciated.

JD

> On 23.01.10 23:44, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>> On 23.01.10 21:41, Jeff Strickland wrote:
>>> I suggest looking for a new driver to the wireless adaptor.
>>>
>>> During the time you have had it, Windows has gone through several
>>> updates
>>> and 3 Service Packs, this is the sort of stuff that makes a driver
>>> outdated.
>>>

>> The computer was updated with all three service packs, and yet the
>> driver continued working without a problem.

> Well, I took the computer to the W-fi hub, where I normally work with
> it. This time round, it recognised all the other hubs in the area,
> except for the one, next to which I was sitting. Despite resets and some
> poor attempts at reconfiguring, it would simply not recognise or accept
> the signal.
>
> Other peoples' computer in the area, plus my own iPhone picked up the
> hub's signal. But mine simply wouldn't.
>
> It did, of course, connect itself to the BT Open Zone public domain, but
> at the same time the Webpages simply said that an Internet connection
> not possible.
>
> Advice is greatly appreciated.

You say you have installed all 3 service pack's on win XP? and that you
are using the Belkin software to manage your connection's ?

service pack 3 has some issues and 3rd party wireless managers can be
fussy so what I suggest is un-installing the Belkin software and driver,
reinstall the driver only, this option might be in the advanced or
custom settings of the Belkin installer when you are installing, as a
last resort I would try removing SP3 which you can do with a System
Restore and go back to a date before SP3.

JD