Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Windows 7 Hack: Playing with "GodMode"

Windows 7 Hack: Playing with "GodMode"

Ablang

Windows 7 Hack: Playing with "GodMode"

David Ayala, PCWorld

Jan 22, 2010 10:48 am

http://www.pcworld.com/article/18747...nl_dnx_h_crawl

Have you ever wondered what else lies under the hood of that new
Windows 7 laptop you got recently? The clever folks at CNET have
found a simple hack that will grant access to all of those options in
one easy-to-set-up shortcut.

The aptly named GodMode is a built-in, yet unadvertised feature in
Windows 7 that gathers all Windows utilities in one spot. To access
it, simply create a new folder and name it:

GodMode.{ED7BA470-8E54-465E-825C-99712043E01C}

And that's it! Open it up and you'll find access to display options,
backup/recovery, power management and more. This is a useful trick for
those of you that easily forget where to access the defragmenter or
the device managager. You may even find a useful utility you didn't
know existed.

For quite a few years now, Microsoft has tinkered with its Control
Panel in order to provide a robust set of options in an elegant and
accessible package. GodMode is certainly not the solution to that
problem. By throwing all of the settings into one spot, it's more akin
to organized confusion than friendly accessibility. GodMode probably
won't work too well for Grandma, but for those of you that get giddy
at the thought of tweaking your settings, you might want to get this
shortcut up on your desktop.

If you want to find out more ways to optimize your Windows 7
experience, check out PCWorld's 10 Essential Windows 7 Downloads and
The Greatest Windows Tips of All Time.

[via CNET]

Bobby Johnson

If you read the books published about Windows 7 you will find all the
"hidden" features. I have read the books with all the "secrets" since
MS-DOS and virtually all the "hidden" features and "secrets" have been
"exposed" in those books.

Absolutely nothing new or exciting about the below exposť!

On 2010-01-23 08:51, Ablang wrote:
> Windows 7 Hack: Playing with "GodMode"
>
> David Ayala, PCWorld
>
> Jan 22, 2010 10:48 am
>
> http://www.pcworld.com/article/18747...nl_dnx_h_crawl
>
> Have you ever wondered what else lies under the hood of that new
> Windows 7 laptop you got recently? The clever folks at CNET have
> found a simple hack that will grant access to all of those options in
> one easy-to-set-up shortcut.
>
> The aptly named GodMode is a built-in, yet unadvertised feature in
> Windows 7 that gathers all Windows utilities in one spot. To access
> it, simply create a new folder and name it:
>
> GodMode.{ED7BA470-8E54-465E-825C-99712043E01C}
>
> And that's it! Open it up and you'll find access to display options,
> backup/recovery, power management and more. This is a useful trick for
> those of you that easily forget where to access the defragmenter or
> the device managager. You may even find a useful utility you didn't
> know existed.
>
> For quite a few years now, Microsoft has tinkered with its Control
> Panel in order to provide a robust set of options in an elegant and
> accessible package. GodMode is certainly not the solution to that
> problem. By throwing all of the settings into one spot, it's more akin
> to organized confusion than friendly accessibility. GodMode probably
> won't work too well for Grandma, but for those of you that get giddy
> at the thought of tweaking your settings, you might want to get this
> shortcut up on your desktop.
>
> If you want to find out more ways to optimize your Windows 7
> experience, check out PCWorld's 10 Essential Windows 7 Downloads and
> The Greatest Windows Tips of All Time.
>
> [via CNET]

Dave \Crash\ Dummy

Bobby Johnson wrote:
> If you read the books published about Windows 7 you will find all the
> "hidden" features. I have read the books with all the "secrets"
> since MS-DOS and virtually all the "hidden" features and "secrets"
> have been "exposed" in those books.

They have never been "hidden." They are simply not available by default
because most users won't need or understand them.
--
Crash

"It is not necessary to change. Survival is not mandatory."
~ W. Edwards Deming ~