Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > XP64 and SCSI

XP64 and SCSI

Bob AZ

My scanner is SCSI and I think I will have to use my lone PCI slot for
a SCSI card. Probably an Adaptec card. So I would like to know what
anybody is using that is working well.

Also my Motherboard has a SAS Module Slot. From reading on the net in
various places the SAS Module Slot can apparently be used as or for a
SCSI function. If this is true I would appreciate some input.

Thanks
Bob AZ

Charlie Russel - MVP

SAS and traditional parallel SCSI aren't cross-compatible, so your SAS slot
won't help.

Scanner support in XP x64 has always been one of the weakest areas.
Honestly, if you need this, you're better off with Windows 7.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/blogs/russel

"Bob AZ" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> My scanner is SCSI and I think I will have to use my lone PCI slot for
> a SCSI card. Probably an Adaptec card. So I would like to know what
> anybody is using that is working well.
>
> Also my Motherboard has a SAS Module Slot. From reading on the net in
> various places the SAS Module Slot can apparently be used as or for a
> SCSI function. If this is true I would appreciate some input.
>
> Thanks
> Bob AZ

Bob AZ

> Scanner support in XP x64 has always been one of the weakest areas.
> Honestly, if you need this, you're better off with Windows 7.
>
> --
> Charlie.http://msmvps.com/blogs/russel

Charlie

If I have to I will keep the XP 32 bit machine until I find a way to
keep my scanner going.

Will the XP (32 bit) mode of XP x64 be of any use or don't I undestand
XP (32 bit) mode?

Bob AZ

Bobby Johnson

I don't think there is an XP Mode in XP x64. What you may be thinking
of is the Windows XP Mode for Windows 7 Professional and Ultimate.

I have the XP Mode installed on my Win 7 system, but I don't know
whether a SCSI card would be recognized in the XP VM or not.

On 2010-01-23 01:34, Bob AZ wrote:

>> Scanner support in XP x64 has always been one of the weakest areas.
>> Honestly, if you need this, you're better off with Windows 7.
>>
>> --
>> Charlie.http://msmvps.com/blogs/russel
>>

> Charlie
>
> If I have to I will keep the XP 32 bit machine until I find a way to
> keep my scanner going.
>
> Will the XP (32 bit) mode of XP x64 be of any use or don't I undestand
> XP (32 bit) mode?
>
> Bob AZ

Charlie Russel - MVP

> If I have to I will keep the XP 32 bit machine until I find a way to
> keep my scanner going.

Then you should keep a (physical) 32-bit XP computer around that has a SCSI
card that supports this scanner. Because there is no way to get it to work
in XP x64 unless you have a 64-bit driver for both the SCSI card and the
scanner itself.

> Will the XP (32 bit) mode of XP x64 be of any use or don't I undestand
> XP (32 bit) mode?

No, you don't. I'm not sure even what you mean by "XP (32bit) mode". If you
mean the "XPMode" in Windows 7, that is a specific virtual machine that is
ONLY available when running Windows Virtual PC. Which ONLY works on
specific editions of Windows 7, and only when you have hardware
virtualization support built in to the CPUs. If you mean the WOW64 subsystem
that supports 32-bit applications in 64-bit Windows, then it won't help you
at all because you still must have 64-bit drivers. The WOW64 subsystem is
only for application support, and doesn't support 32-bit system level
drivers.

Charlie.

Charlie Russel - MVP

It won't. if one had a USB scanner, one could probably get it to work, since
USB can be passed through.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/blogs/russel