Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Can only share files or print one way using 2 XP machines

Can only share files or print one way using 2 XP machines

J Tinsby

Helllo,

I hope someone can help me with this? I wanted to be able to use one
printer for 2 XP machines one using XP Pro and the other XP Home. I am
using a wireless network.

I cannot ping the Home machine from the Pro, but I can send files to
the Pro's printer. I can also share files from the Pro to the Home but
not vice-versa. Oddly enough I can't ping the Pro from the Home but I
can send files from the Home to the Pro. Both XP firewalls are off but
the OnLine Armor ones aren't and I see no way to set them to accept
new IP addresses, but both machines firewalls do show the others IP
addresses.

I can see the name of the Home machine in the Pro, but when I try to
access it is says the standard " You may not have permission blah
blah.... the server \\ could not be found on the network.

It would seem to me that I should be able to share files back and
forth over the network but no matter what I do I can't seem to get it.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Tinsby

Jack [MVP-Networking]

Hi
These are signs of Firewall blocking interconnections ports.
I would disconnect temp. from the Internet and disable the Armor.
If it then works, either Armor support can help, or use something else that
is easily configured.
Jack (MS, MVP-Networking).

news:(E-Mail Removed)...