Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Is there a particular time of year for new model announcements?

Is there a particular time of year for new model announcements?

Peabody

Is there a big photography trade show where new DSLR models are
typically announced? Or maybe just a time of year when most
manufacturers release new models?

The Henchman

"Peabody" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:0036d1c1$0$25220$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Is there a big photography trade show where new DSLR models are
> typically announced? Or maybe just a time of year when most
> manufacturers release new models?

Photokina is around end of September. usually lots of announcements there.

editor@netpath.net

On Jan 20, 7:32*pm, Peabody <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Is there a big photography trade show where new DSLR models are
> typically announced? *Or maybe just a time of year when most
> manufacturers release new models?

In the current - and foreseeable - depressed economy, don't expect
many new models at all. This stuff's too expensive to develop and
tool up for production of to bet that high-dollar anything will sell
well enough now.

http://www.Internet-Gun-Show.com - your source for hard-to-find stuff!

Lucas

"Peabody" <(E-Mail Removed)> schreef in bericht
news:0036d1c1$0$25220$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Is there a big photography trade show where new DSLR models are
> typically announced? Or maybe just a time of year when most
> manufacturers release new models?

http://www.photokina-cologne.com/

Once every two years ("even" years), biggest photography show in the world,
this year 21-26 September. In Kln (Cologne) Germany. Announcements of new
models usually start early August.

L.

ransley

On Jan 20, 6:32*pm, Peabody <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Is there a big photography trade show where new DSLR models are
> typically announced? *Or maybe just a time of year when most
> manufacturers release new models?

From what Ive seen canon rebels in maybe may, higher end models in
several year cycles, they need you to want to upgrade regularly so
look at a model you want and its past release dates, dpreview has
them.

Wolfgang Weisselberg

> In the current - and foreseeable - depressed economy, don't expect
> many new models at all. This stuff's too expensive to develop and
> tool up for production of to bet that high-dollar anything will sell
> well enough now.

Sure, that works --- unless, say, one strike breaker offers
something new and thus corners the market. That being a real
danger, everyone keeps developing new stuff. Those that don't,
die. Game Over.

-Wolfgang

editor@netpath.net

On Jan 21, 4:56*pm, Wolfgang Weisselberg <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:
> (E-Mail Removed) <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > In the current - and foreseeable - depressed economy, don't expect
> > many new models at all. *This stuff's too expensive to develop and
> > tool up for production of to bet that high-dollar anything will sell
> > well enough now.

> Sure, that works --- unless, say, one strike breaker offers
> something new and thus corners the market. *That being a real
> danger, everyone keeps developing new stuff. *Those that don't,
> die. *Game Over.

Right now - in this economy - I don't think ANY corporation's betting
big bucks on introducing new products unless they already were in
development several years ago, before the depression began.

http://www.Internet-Gun-Show.com - your source for hard-to-find stuff!

Ray Fischer

>On Jan 21, 4:56*pm, Wolfgang Weisselberg <(E-Mail Removed)>
>wrote:
>> (E-Mail Removed) <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> > In the current - and foreseeable - depressed economy, don't expect
>> > many new models at all. *This stuff's too expensive to develop and
>> > tool up for production of to bet that high-dollar anything will sell
>> > well enough now.

>> Sure, that works --- unless, say, one strike breaker offers
>> something new and thus corners the market. *That being a real
>> danger, everyone keeps developing new stuff. *Those that don't,
>> die. *Game Over.

>Right now - in this economy - I don't think ANY corporation's betting
>big bucks on introducing new products unless they already were in
>development several years ago, before the depression began.

And which company do you run?

Companies that stop developing new products die when other companies
offer better products.

--
Ray Fischer
(E-Mail Removed)

nospam

In article <0036d1c1$0$25220$(E-Mail Removed)>, Peabody
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Is there a big photography trade show where new DSLR models are
> typically announced? Or maybe just a time of year when most
> manufacturers release new models?

pma in a month, with announcements made leading up to the show.

Wolfgang Weisselberg

> On Jan 21, 4:56*pm, Wolfgang Weisselberg <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> (E-Mail Removed) <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>> > In the current - and foreseeable - depressed economy, don't expect
>> > many new models at all. *This stuff's too expensive to develop and
>> > tool up for production of to bet that high-dollar anything will sell
>> > well enough now.

>> Sure, that works --- unless, say, one strike breaker offers
>> something new and thus corners the market. *That being a real
>> danger, everyone keeps developing new stuff. *Those that don't,
>> die. *Game Over.

> Right now - in this economy - I don't think ANY corporation's betting
> big bucks on introducing new products unless they already were in
> development several years ago, before the depression began.

Which is a completely different claim.
And while obviously you don't think so (which makes your
claim litrally true) that does not need to have any connection
to reality. In fact, looking at computer games manufacturers,
these guys often bet everything on one or maybe two single games,
and they don't need to have many zears development. Looking at
mobile phones ... sure, new ones are coming out, all the time.
Looking at P&S camera ... looking at DSLR cameras ... same same.

There may be some slowdown, but there's always a hungry lean
smaller competitor who'll bet everything on the chance the others
are lazy. And that keeps them moving.

Monopolies however, stagnate, in every economic climate.

-Wolfgang