Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > The FUD Continues

The FUD Continues

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

“Users warned off OpenOffice.org until Oracle commits”
<http://computerworld.co.nz/news.nsf/tech/78828BAEB47D410ACC2576B1006A123E>:

A European IT consulting firm is warning large enterprises and
government entities not to deploy OpenOffice.org until Oracle shows
proof that it will invest as heavily in the development of open-source
productivity suite as project champion Sun Microsystems Inc. did.

Hands up all those who have deployed OOo, who were getting support from Sun?

Nobody? My point exactly. You have been getting support from consultants or
in-house staff—either way, it’s their job to understand enough about the
software to help you do the things you’re trying to do. And no change in the
ownership of the original source code can stop them from doing that job.
That’s just how Open Source works.

And:

"There is a fairly advanced QA mechanism in the OpenOffice.org project,"
said Tobias Kuipers, CTO of the 50-person consulting firm, in an
interview. "It involves 30-40 man-years [of developer time], which is
fairly expensive and not something you can maintain in your attic."

Don’t you just love that “attic” strawman? As though there aren’t any open-
source projects just as large, or larger, which are not controlled by any
single company. *Cough* Linux kernel *cough*

peterwn

On Jan 21, 12:42*pm, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l...@geek-
central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:

> * * "There is a fairly advanced QA mechanism in the OpenOffice.org project,"
> * * said Tobias Kuipers, CTO of the 50-person consulting firm, in an
> * * interview. "It involves 30-40 man-years [of developer time], which is
> * * fairly expensive and not something you can maintain in your attic.."

It would have helped if that consultant's web site indicated whether
ts clients ran a mixture of things, or whether it merely advised on
third party apps running on a Windows / MS Office platform.

Anyway, tens of people working in attics around the world are probably
more productive and creative than if they were working in cubicles
having to abide by nit picking company rules.

peterwn

On Jan 22, 2:15*pm, "impossible" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> "peterwn" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Jan 21, 12:42 pm, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l...@geek-
>
> central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
> >> "There is a fairly advanced QA mechanism in the OpenOffice.org project,"
> >> said Tobias Kuipers, CTO of the 50-person consulting firm, in an
> >> interview. "It involves 30-40 man-years [of developer time], which is
> >> fairly expensive and not something you can maintain in your attic."

> >It would have helped if that consultant's web site indicated whether
> >ts clients ran a mixture of things, or whether it merely advised on
> >third party apps running on a Windows / MS Office platform.

> >Anyway, tens of people working in attics around the world are probably
> >more productive and creative than if they were working in cubicles
> >having to abide by nit picking company rules.

> If only those attic-dwellers could produce one professional quality desktop
> application. Alas, no, the open-source model has been a complete and utter
> failure in that respect. Ten gazillion beta-quality apps and counting.
> What's with that?!

The allegedly pre-eminent software company in the world cannot even
achieve that.

Nik Coughlin

On 22/01/2010 3:37 pm, peterwn wrote:
> On Jan 22, 2:15 pm, "impossible"<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>> If only those attic-dwellers could produce one professional quality desktop
>> application. Alas, no, the open-source model has been a complete and utter
>> failure in that respect. Ten gazillion beta-quality apps and counting.
>> What's with that?!

> The allegedly pre-eminent software company in the world cannot even
> achieve that.

So there are no professional quality open-source desktop applications,
and additionally Microsoft cannot produce professional quality desktop apps?

You must both be using some strange definition of the phrase
"professional quality" that I've not previously come across

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In message <hjb4lv$8f0$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org>, Nik Coughlin wrote:

> ... and additionally Microsoft cannot produce professional quality desktop
> apps?

Certainly it’s having increasing trouble with backwards compatibility
<http://www.channelregister.co.uk/2010/01/12/office_2007_migration_problems/>.

peterwn

On Jan 22, 2:15*pm, "impossible" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> "peterwn" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Jan 21, 12:42 pm, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l...@geek-
>
> central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
> >> "There is a fairly advanced QA mechanism in the OpenOffice.org project,"
> >> said Tobias Kuipers, CTO of the 50-person consulting firm, in an
> >> interview. "It involves 30-40 man-years [of developer time], which is
> >> fairly expensive and not something you can maintain in your attic."

> >It would have helped if that consultant's web site indicated whether
> >ts clients ran a mixture of things, or whether it merely advised on
> >third party apps running on a Windows / MS Office platform.

> >Anyway, tens of people working in attics around the world are probably
> >more productive and creative than if they were working in cubicles
> >having to abide by nit picking company rules.

> If only those attic-dwellers could produce one professional quality desktop
> application. Alas, no, the open-source model has been a complete and utter
> failure in that respect. Ten gazillion beta-quality apps and counting.
> What's with that?!

In reality, Microsoft Windows and Office are effectively Beta
versions, always have been and always will be. For example Windows XP
updates are still flowing thick and fast.

Sweetpea

On Fri, 22 Jan 2010 18:17:00 -0800, peterwn wrote:

> On Jan 22, 2:15*pm, "impossible" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> "peterwn" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>> >It would have helped if that consultant's web site indicated whether
>> >ts clients ran a mixture of things, or whether it merely advised on
>> >third party apps running on a Windows / MS Office platform.

>> >Anyway, tens of people working in attics around the world are probably
>> >more productive and creative than if they were working in cubicles
>> >having to abide by nit picking company rules.

>> If only those attic-dwellers could produce one professional quality
>> desktop application. Alas, no, the open-source model has been a
>> complete and utter failure in that respect. Ten gazillion beta-quality
>> apps and counting. What's with that?!

> In reality, Microsoft Windows and Office are effectively Beta versions,
> always have been and always will be. For example Windows XP updates are
> still flowing thick and fast.

Agreed.

As a contrast, lets consider the monthly patching of bugs - "undocumented design features", "known
issues" - that has taken place since MS Office 2003 was released, compared with the number of
patches that were released for all versions of OpenOffice.org in that same time.

Lets consider the many bugs and behavior foibles that still exist in MS Office - even in MS Word alone
that remain unfixed even to this day!

You Want FUD, Here’s FUD Lawrence D'Oliveiro NZ Computing 0 01-23-2010 06:58 AM
More MS FUD Peter NZ Computing 22 02-01-2005 09:50 AM
Novell Responds to Get The Fud Chris Hope NZ Computing 4 11-07-2004 08:41 PM
FUD: Get the facts Windows v Linux thing NZ Computing 128 11-07-2004 09:47 AM
Re: FUD anyone? Gazwad Computer Support 0 08-30-2003 11:29 AM

Advertisments