Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > using a Ethernet connection as a input to Ethernet switch to be ableto connect many machines to network

using a Ethernet connection as a input to Ethernet switch to be ableto connect many machines to network

We have a fiber port in our office. A single mode fiber cable's one
end connected to that port and another to a fiber ethernet media
converter like
http://www.amazon.com/Allied-Telesyn...4029691&sr=8-1.
To that fiber ethernet media converter a ethernet cable is connected
at one end and another end of the Ethernet cable goes into a printer
which is used as a network printer.

Present connection

Fiberport----------- single mode Fibercable------ fiber ethernet media
converter ----- Ethernet cable------- printer(as it can take only
ethernet cables for connecting to the network)

Can we use a switch like NETGEAR FS105 5-Port Fast Ethernet Switch
shown at http://www.cdw.com/shop/products/def...spx?EDC=190786 to
connect more machines to the network by connecting the ethernet cable
from the fiber ethernet media converter as a input to the switch from
which we can get more Ethernet connections to connect other computers?

Proposed connection.

Fiberport----------- single mode Fibercable------ fiber ethernet media
converter----- Ethernet cable------- Ethernet switch----------------
Multiple connections one of which goes to printer and other to
different machines.

Can someone please clarify?

Thanks

Steve Freides

s wrote:
> We have a fiber port in our office. A single mode fiber cable's one
> end connected to that port and another to a fiber ethernet media
> converter like
> http://www.amazon.com/Allied-Telesyn...4029691&sr=8-1.
> To that fiber ethernet media converter a ethernet cable is connected
> at one end and another end of the Ethernet cable goes into a printer
> which is used as a network printer.
>
> Present connection
>
> Fiberport----------- single mode Fibercable------ fiber ethernet media
> converter ----- Ethernet cable------- printer(as it can take only
> ethernet cables for connecting to the network)
>
> Can we use a switch like NETGEAR FS105 5-Port Fast Ethernet Switch
> shown at http://www.cdw.com/shop/products/def...spx?EDC=190786 to
> connect more machines to the network by connecting the ethernet cable
> from the fiber ethernet media converter as a input to the switch from
> which we can get more Ethernet connections to connect other computers?
>
> Proposed connection.
>
> Fiberport----------- single mode Fibercable------ fiber ethernet media
> converter----- Ethernet cable------- Ethernet switch----------------
> Multiple connections one of which goes to printer and other to
> different machines.
>
> Can someone please clarify?
>
> Thanks

Sounds fine in principle, but it's something that might need a network
person to set up, e.g., if the printer has a static IP and the Netgear
defaults, as most do, to being a DHCP server, then you might not be able
to see the printer on the other side (the converter side) of the
Netgear. You might need to enable NAT, which that Netgear may not
support, to allow its static IP to effectively pass through the router,
which means that maybe the $30 Netgear is not what you need for this.

Put another way, it's certainly doable under most circumstances, but you
may not be able to make it work without someone techie setting up
everything for you.

-S-

Desk Rabbit

On 20/01/2010 23:37, s wrote:
> We have a fiber port in our office. A single mode fiber cable's one
> end connected to that port and another to a fiber ethernet media
> converter like
> http://www.amazon.com/Allied-Telesyn...4029691&sr=8-1.
> To that fiber ethernet media converter a ethernet cable is connected
> at one end and another end of the Ethernet cable goes into a printer
> which is used as a network printer.
>
> Present connection
>
> Fiberport----------- single mode Fibercable------ fiber ethernet media
> converter ----- Ethernet cable------- printer(as it can take only
> ethernet cables for connecting to the network)
>
> Can we use a switch like NETGEAR FS105 5-Port Fast Ethernet Switch
> shown at http://www.cdw.com/shop/products/def...spx?EDC=190786 to
> connect more machines to the network by connecting the ethernet cable
> from the fiber ethernet media converter as a input to the switch from
> which we can get more Ethernet connections to connect other computers?
>
> Proposed connection.
>
> Fiberport----------- single mode Fibercable------ fiber ethernet media
> converter----- Ethernet cable------- Ethernet switch----------------
> Multiple connections one of which goes to printer and other to
> different machines.
>
> Can someone please clarify?

Ask your IT department.

why?

On Wed, 20 Jan 2010 15:37:10 -0800 (PST), s wrote:

How many times do you think asking you will get an answer? Even with a
modified question.

Contact your IT dept.

>We have a fiber port in our office. A single mode fiber cable's one
>end connected to that port and another to a fiber ethernet media
>converter like
>http://www.amazon.com/Allied-Telesyn...4029691&sr=8-1.
>To that fiber ethernet media converter a ethernet cable is connected

<snip>

>Can we use a switch like NETGEAR FS105 5-Port Fast Ethernet Switch
>shown at http://www.cdw.com/shop/products/def...spx?EDC=190786 to
>connect more machines to the network by connecting the ethernet cable

You know what I do when I find users connecting kit? It's reported to
the security department of the IT company, and thier
security/management.

<snip>

using a Ethernet connection as a input to Ethernet switch to ...
To that fiber ethernet media converter a ethernet cable is connected at
one end
Jan 20 by Steve Freides - 3 messages - 3 authors

choosing a fiber to ethernet media converter
24hoursupport helpdesk a new machine in our office has a
ethernet adapter for networking purposes meaning it cannot directly
accept fiber
optic which is what we have in our office. so, we need a fiber to
ethernet
Nov 15 2009 by s - 3 messages - 3 authors

choosing a fiber to ethernet media converter
nobody > (E-Mail Removed) 24hoursupport helpdesk s wrote: the
fiber optic
cables in our office have sc connectors and i guess they are singlemode.
can
someone please advise? thanks "fddi"
Nov 15 2009 - 3 messages - 3 authors

Me

why?

On Thu, 21 Jan 2010 10:17:44 +0000, Desk Rabbit wrote:

>On 20/01/2010 23:37, s wrote:
>> We have a fiber port in our office. A single mode fiber cable's one
>> end connected to that port and another to a fiber ethernet media
>> converter like
>> http://www.amazon.com/Allied-Telesyn...4029691&sr=8-1.
>> To that fiber ethernet media converter a ethernet cable is connected
>> at one end and another end of the Ethernet cable goes into a printer

<snip>

>Ask your IT department.

Funny you should say that same recommendation twice in 1 message.

why? Nov 16 2009, 12:55 pm
Newsgroups: 24hoursupport.helpdesk
From: why? <fgrirp*sgc@VAINY!Qznq.fpvragvfg.pbz>
Date: Mon, 16 Nov 2009 17:55:12 GMT
Subject: Re: choosing a fiber to ethernet media converter

On Sun, 15 Nov 2009 17:04:22 -0800 (PST), s wrote:
>A new machine in our office has a ethernet adapter for networking

Ask your IT department / IT buyer should have ordered the correct parts.
<snipped>
>Can someone please advise?

Your IT department.
>Thanks