Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > New post re- PC slow due to Usenet headers and posts.

New post re- PC slow due to Usenet headers and posts.

Emrys Davies

I did what Mike suggested (Many thanks) and that was to 'Reset' all of
my News folders. It simply cut them down to size ruthlessly and has
speeded up my PC considerably. At the same time I set the PC to 'Get
100 headers at a time' and that cut me off from our thread as there was
so much traffic in this forum since last night. I will watch points and
may adjust to 'Get 300 headers at a time', if needed.

Thanks a lot everyone.

Mike Easter

Emrys Davies wrote:
> I did what Mike suggested (Many thanks) and that was to 'Reset' all of
> my News folders. It simply cut them down to size ruthlessly and has
> speeded up my PC considerably. At the same time I set the PC to 'Get
> 100 headers at a time' and that cut me off from our thread as there was
> so much traffic in this forum since last night. I will watch points and
> may adjust to 'Get 300 headers at a time', if needed.

Get 100 is a little thin, unless you are on dialup. If you are on
broadband, 300 or even 1000 is easy/quick. Depending on what I'm
looking for and which agent I'm using, sometimes I get 5000 headers,
very rarely even more.

However, if you are using OE and you get 100 or 300 and need more, you
can always just get some more over and again until you get back to the
ones you wanted.

And/But/Also, I see (in your header) that you have Avast sniffing at
your email and news; that will slow things down somewhat. IMO you
don't need AV on mail or news.

I suppose there might be some specific circumstance in which I might say
different.

--
Mike Easter

Emrys Davies

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Emrys Davies wrote:
> > I did what Mike suggested (Many thanks) and that was to 'Reset' all

of
> > my News folders. It simply cut them down to size ruthlessly and has
> > speeded up my PC considerably. At the same time I set the PC to

'Get
> > 100 headers at a time' and that cut me off from our thread as there

was
> > so much traffic in this forum since last night. I will watch points

and
> > may adjust to 'Get 300 headers at a time', if needed.

> Get 100 is a little thin, unless you are on dialup. If you are on
> broadband, 300 or even 1000 is easy/quick. Depending on what I'm
> looking for and which agent I'm using, sometimes I get 5000 headers,
> very rarely even more.
>
> However, if you are using OE and you get 100 or 300 and need more, you
> can always just get some more over and again until you get back to the
> ones you wanted.

Yes, I am using OE and that is what I need to do.

> And/But/Also, I see (in your header) that you have Avast sniffing at
> your email and news; that will slow things down somewhat. IMO you
> don't need AV on mail or news.
>
> I suppose there might be some specific circumstance in which I might

say
> different.
>

> --
> Mike Easter

I have only been using Avast since AVG Professional found that Win98 SE
was not compatible with their format. Tonight for the first time I
notice that in addition to the Avast blue ball icon which has an 'a'
thereon there is another little plain Avast blue ball in the systray
with the words 'Avast! Mail Scanner [news.individual.net] which is my
News browser. That little blue ball does not respond to anything and I
cannot find any reference to Mail Scanner in the main Avast AV
programme. I will persist with that as I know that mail scanning is not
the done thing. I may have to uninstall that if I cannot find an answer
to that mystery.

Emrys Davies

"Emrys Davies" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> "Mike Easter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Emrys Davies wrote:
> > > I did what Mike suggested (Many thanks) and that was to 'Reset'

all
> of
> > > my News folders. It simply cut them down to size ruthlessly and

has
> > > speeded up my PC considerably. At the same time I set the PC to

> 'Get
> > > 100 headers at a time' and that cut me off from our thread as

there
> was
> > > so much traffic in this forum since last night. I will watch

points
> and
> > > may adjust to 'Get 300 headers at a time', if needed.

> > Get 100 is a little thin, unless you are on dialup. If you are on
> > broadband, 300 or even 1000 is easy/quick. Depending on what I'm
> > looking for and which agent I'm using, sometimes I get 5000 headers,
> > very rarely even more.
> >
> > However, if you are using OE and you get 100 or 300 and need more,

you
> > can always just get some more over and again until you get back to

the
> > ones you wanted.

> Yes, I am using OE and that is what I need to do.
>

> > And/But/Also, I see (in your header) that you have Avast sniffing at
> > your email and news; that will slow things down somewhat. IMO you
> > don't need AV on mail or news.
> >
> > I suppose there might be some specific circumstance in which I might

> say
> > different.
> >

> > --
> > Mike Easter

> I have only been using Avast since AVG Professional found that Win98

SE
> was not compatible with their format. Tonight for the first time I
> notice that in addition to the Avast blue ball icon which has an 'a'
> thereon there is another little plain Avast blue ball in the systray
> with the words 'Avast! Mail Scanner [news.individual.net] which is my
> News browser. That little blue ball does not respond to anything and

> cannot find any reference to Mail Scanner in the main Avast AV
> programme. I will persist with that as I know that mail scanning is

not
> the done thing. I may have to uninstall that if I cannot find an

answer
> to that mystery.

I found that Avast had corrupted my News account by inserting 127.0.0.1
in the 'Server Name'. Having repaired that and rebooted the little blue
icon has gone.

Mike Easter

Emrys Davies wrote:
> "Mike Easter"

>> And/But/Also, I see (in your header) that you have Avast sniffing at
>> your email and news; that will slow things down somewhat. IMO you
>> don't need AV on mail or news.
>>
>> I suppose there might be some specific circumstance in which I might
>> say different.

> I have only been using Avast since AVG Professional found that Win98 SE
> was not compatible with their format. Tonight for the first time I
> notice that in addition to the Avast blue ball icon which has an 'a'
> thereon there is another little plain Avast blue ball in the systray
> with the words 'Avast! Mail Scanner [news.individual.net] which is my
> News browser. That little blue ball does not respond to anything and I
> cannot find any reference to Mail Scanner in the main Avast AV
> programme. I will persist with that as I know that mail scanning is not
> the done thing. I may have to uninstall that if I cannot find an answer
> to that mystery.

The way you access Avast help is via the Programs Help entry; there
isn't any access to it from the tray icons that I know of. You can also
go find it in the Avast folder in Programs under English. Avast is
Alwil software.

After you open help, put email into the index search function of the
..chm help file and it will tell you about configuration, including for
Win98 which is different from the later Wins.

--
Mike Easter

Mike Easter

Emrys Davies wrote:

> I found that Avast had corrupted my News account by inserting 127.0.0.1
> in the 'Server Name'. Having repaired that and rebooted the little blue
> icon has gone.

That's not exactly a corruption. There are a lot of tools which work to
solve 'problems' for mail and news by acting as a proxy thru' which the
mail and news must pass.

So, a method of 'straining' your mail or news thru' an AV sieve is to
'force' the communication between your mail/news agent to pass thru' the
AV sieve -- which filter would be located at 127.0.0.1.

The mail/news agent reaches for the mail/news server via the sieve/AV,
and also the mailnews server feeds the mailnews back to the OE agent via
the avsieve.

In any case, you fixed it and the headers are gone, which are also
stamped by the same process.

--
Mike Easter