Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Silverlight

Silverlight

Geopelia

I seem to have something called silverlight. I never heard of it before. I
got an update come in for it today.

It looks very complicated, and I don't think I'll need it. I can't imagine
having any use for it.

Shall I just ignore it?

JohnO

On Jan 21, 1:44*am, "Geopelia" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I seem to have something called silverlight. I never heard of it before. I
> got an update come in for it today.
>
> It looks very complicated, and I don't think I'll need it. I can't imagine
> having any use for it.
>
> Shall I just ignore it?

It just allows fancy-schmancy web page effects. Not harmful and no,
you don't need it but you may not see all the content of some web
pages.

Sweetpea

On Thu, 21 Jan 2010 01:44:55 +1300, Geopelia wrote:

> I seem to have something called silverlight. I never heard of it before.
> I got an update come in for it today.
>
> It looks very complicated, and I don't think I'll need it. I can't
> imagine having any use for it.
>
> Shall I just ignore it?

Best to uninstall it. It looks like it was forced onto your computer by Microsoft, and without your consent.

And, in my opinion, like all Microsoft software, it almost certainly has major security vulnerabilities.

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In message <4b585d6f$(E-Mail Removed)>, Collector_NZ wrote:

> Sweetpea wrote:
>
>> And, in my opinion, like all Microsoft software, it almost certainly has
>> major security vulnerabilities.

> Your opinion only at this stage

Time for somebody who knows how to use Google to chime in:

<https://cert.belnet.be/belnetadvisories/microsoft-silverlight-common-language-runtime-vulnerability>
<http://secunia.com/advisories/product/20227/>
<http://secunia.com/advisories/product/16105/>

Geopelia

I've had a look at the Control Panel and All Programs. Silverlight isn't
there.
So I don't think I've got it. I wonder why they sent me the update.
I'll ignore it.

Thanks to all.

Geopelia

Sweetpea

On Sun, 24 Jan 2010 23:48:56 +1300, Geopelia wrote:

> I've had a look at the Control Panel and All Programs. Silverlight isn't
> there.
> So I don't think I've got it. I wonder why they sent me the update. I'll
> ignore it.
>
> Thanks to all.
>
> Geopelia

You've done the right thing Geopelia. Always best to check out stuff as much as possible before
installing it - most especially so if it is unsolicited.

Geopelia

"Sweetpea" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Sun, 24 Jan 2010 23:48:56 +1300, Geopelia wrote:
>
>> I've had a look at the Control Panel and All Programs. Silverlight isn't
>> there.
>> So I don't think I've got it. I wonder why they sent me the update. I'll
>> ignore it.
>>
>> Thanks to all.
>>
>> Geopelia

> You've done the right thing Geopelia. Always best to check out stuff as
> much as possible before
> installing it - most especially so if it is unsolicited.

I always install all the Express Microsoft Updates. Much of the time I
haven't a clue what they do, but I expect the Microsoft chaps know what they
are doing, especially if they are Critical. They usually download
automatically anyway, then I have to restart the computer.

Sweetpea

On Mon, 25 Jan 2010 14:57:14 +1300, Geopelia wrote:

> I always install all the Express Microsoft Updates. Much of the time I
> haven't a clue what they do, but I expect the Microsoft chaps know what
> they are doing, especially if they are Critical.

You shouldn't assume that MS has your interest in mind when they push something onto your
computer.

Most of the time it is OK, but certain "updates" remove existing functionality.

Geopelia

"geoff" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Geopelia wrote:
>> I've had a look at the Control Panel and All Programs. Silverlight
>> isn't there.
>> So I don't think I've got it. I wonder why they sent me the update.
>> I'll ignore it.
>>
>> Thanks to all.
>>
>> Geopelia

> If you got an update, then you've got it. Probably in the Windows section
> rather than Applications, as it is integral to the way Winodws deals with
> enabled websites.
>

> It REALLY isn't something you should be worrying about.
>

> geoff

I'm not worrying, I can always get the computer man to sort out any
problems, if I can't follow the good advice people give me here.

But after the big power cut yesterday, I kept getting the error where the
other computer "didn't respond in a timely manner". It still didn't this
morning, then it suddenly came right.
Did anyone else find this? (error 71.

Geopelia

"geoff" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ...
> Geopelia wrote:
>> "geoff" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> If you got an update, then you've got it. Probably in the Windows
>>> section rather than Applications, as it is integral to the way
>>> Winodws deals with enabled websites.
>>>

>>> It REALLY isn't something you should be worrying about.
>>>

>>> geoff
>>>

>> I'm not worrying, I can always get the computer man to sort out any
>> problems, if I can't follow the good advice people give me here.

> In this (Silverlight) case there is nothing to sort out, and little "good
> advice".
>
> You new problem doesn't sound so great though. After a re-boot how does
> it go ?
>
> geoff

I tried all that last night, nothing worked. Same this morning. Then it
suddenly came right, and connected.
Would it just be xtra that wouldn't "answer in a timely manner"?
It seems OK today.

Not to worry, I spent last evening scanning photos into the computer, that
didn't need the internet.

Silverlight Newsgroup? Monty ASP .Net 3 07-22-2007 12:18 AM
Where does MS Expression & Silverlight fit in? VB Programmer ASP .Net 4 07-07-2007 02:59 AM
Getting Started with Silverlight =?Utf-8?B?QkxzdW5ldg==?= ASP .Net 2 05-22-2007 04:43 PM
Expression, Silverlight? Ronald S. Cook ASP .Net 4 05-10-2007 11:19 AM
SilverLight, a new way for Python? Michel Claveau Python 3 05-01-2007 07:54 PM

Advertisments