Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > A+ Certification > Question about keeping my A+ certification

Question about keeping my A+ certification

Patty

On Sat, 23 Jan 2010 12:21:22 -0800 (PST), walterbyrd wrote:

> What a total joke.
>
> 1) The issue is not whether or not it's a good idea for certs to
> expire, it about business ethics. If I pay for a lifetime cert, then I
> expect to get a lifetime cert - period. If I feel that my certs need
> to be renewed, then I can chose to renew.
>
> 2) Since when has that material on compia exams ever been current?
> Comptia still tests on ms-dos, wi

My personal feeling is that fewer people today are working towards getting
CompTIA certs and thus, CompTIA has decided to try to get money out of the
folks who already have their certs. How do I know this? In my area, no
schools offer any training or education in CompTIA certs since the demand
for them has dropped off to next to nothing.

I too felt that I was getting my certification and it was going to last
forever. If I'd decided to become an attorney and took my bar exam, do you
think I need to do that again to stay an attorney? I think not. If I had
decided to be a CPA and took the exam to be certified for that, do you
think I'd have to do it again to stay certified? I think not.

I think this is just an excuse for CompTIA and all the folks who provide
the learning materials to continue to make money in an area that seems to
be losing ground. Where I live, certs don't mean much, but a college
degree does.

Patty

Barry Watzman

Re:

If I'd decided to become an attorney and took my bar exam, do you think
I need to do that again to stay an attorney? I think not.

If I had decided to be a CPA and took the exam to be certified for that,
do you think I'd have to do it again to stay certified? I think not.

********

Well, what you think is partially wrong.

Virtually all professional certifications (including Law, CPA, Real
Estate, Insurance, etc.) have some form of "continuing education"
requirement in order to be able to continue practicing. And that's what
CompTIA has done. You do NOT need to retake the exam ... NECESSARILY.
You can get "credits" for various activities (even attending trade
shows) that show ongoing involvement in the industry (and, presumably,
at least exposure to updated knowledge of the industry and field).
Taking the exam again is one way to renew your certificate but it's not
the only way. NOTE: The details of what counts and how you get the
credits have not yet been agreed on or posted. This is expected to made
available in the 3rd quarter of this year. However no older
certificates will expire until December 31, 2011.

ALL OF THAT SAID ....

I agree with the sentiment that even if having some form of "renewal" is
a good thing, it is also an ILLEGAL unilateral modification of a
contract "after the fact", by one party. And I won't be surprised if
there is a class action lawsuit against CompTIA over this matter before
all is said and done. They may want to do it, it might even be a good
thing, and clearly they can do with respect to new applicants, but with
respect to those who got the certificates when they were "good for life"
.... I don't think that they have a legal right to do it.

Patty wrote:
> On Sat, 23 Jan 2010 12:21:22 -0800 (PST), walterbyrd wrote:
>
>> What a total joke.
>>
>> 1) The issue is not whether or not it's a good idea for certs to
>> expire, it about business ethics. If I pay for a lifetime cert, then I
>> expect to get a lifetime cert - period. If I feel that my certs need
>> to be renewed, then I can chose to renew.
>>
>> 2) Since when has that material on compia exams ever been current?
>> Comptia still tests on ms-dos, wi

> My personal feeling is that fewer people today are working towards getting
> CompTIA certs and thus, CompTIA has decided to try to get money out of the
> folks who already have their certs. How do I know this? In my area, no
> schools offer any training or education in CompTIA certs since the demand
> for them has dropped off to next to nothing.
>
> I too felt that I was getting my certification and it was going to last
> forever. If I'd decided to become an attorney and took my bar exam, do you
> think I need to do that again to stay an attorney? I think not. If I had
> decided to be a CPA and took the exam to be certified for that, do you
> think I'd have to do it again to stay certified? I think not.
>
> I think this is just an excuse for CompTIA and all the folks who provide
> the learning materials to continue to make money in an area that seems to
> be losing ground. Where I live, certs don't mean much, but a college
> degree does.
>
> Patty

Bill Eitner

walterbyrd wrote:
> On Jan 19, 8:59 pm, Bill Eitner <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> walterbyrd wrote:
>>> CompTIA deserves a class-action lawsuit.

>> But there was always the suggestion that you
>> keep them current if you really work in the
>> industry.

> What a total joke.

You're the joke.

> 1) The issue is not whether or not it's a good idea for certs to
> expire, it about business ethics. If I pay for a lifetime cert, then I
> expect to get a lifetime cert - period. If I feel that my certs need
> to be renewed, then I can chose to renew.

**** you--miser.

The cert you earned had its purpose at the time.
It's a lifetime cert as no one can take it away
form you, but it naturally becomes dated.
Expired, dated--what difference does it really
make?

> 2) Since when has that material on compia exams ever been current?
> Comptia still tests on ms-dos, windows 3.1, config.sys, 80286s,
> Decnet, and Appletalk.

Bullshit. You don't know what you're talking
about. That, in and of itself, dates you.
Again, you're just a miser who thinks he's
been cheated because his old dated cert doesn't
seem as valuable as it was to begin with.

>> And if so, doing so shouldn't be
>> a big deal. You're in it every day.

> The stuff actually done day to day has nothing to do the material on
> comptia exams. Comptia exams are just arbitrary trivia.

Again, bullshit.

Maybe it was like that in your day, but
it's not like that anymore. Many of the
questions on the current A+ test are situational.
You don't know because you don't want to know.
You're ****ed because your old cert is being
recognized for what it is--outdated.

>> Imagine someone who certified in the days of
>> DOS and Mac and resource allocation memorization.
>> They simply aren't current anymore.

> CompTIA *still* tests on DOS and 80286s.

Bullshit. You're making a fool of yourself.

>> Of course I agree that some of it is CompTIA
>> greed. It's their only business--how else are
>> they going to bring in new money?

> It will be interesting to see if being so brazenly dishonest brings in
> more money. I happen to prefer dealing with companies that are a
> little bit honest.
>
> Now that CompTIA exams are no longer good for life, what advantage
> does comptia have over other exams?
>
> CompTIA exams have always been too expensive, now we are expected to
> pay a $49 a year extortion . . er, "maintenance fee" I think there are
> better deals out there.
>
> Want to do helpdesk? The Microsoft Certified Desktop Support
> Technician (MCDST) is better and cheaper than an A+/Net+.
>
> Want to do security? The Sec+ has no advantages over the SSCP.
> Although the CISSP is what employers really want.
>
> Want to do networking? Cisco puts the Net+ to shame. Why spend 0ver
> $200 (plus maintenance fees) for the net+ when you can get a CCENT for
> $125? Much more important: with CISCO you can start with an entry
> level cert, and use that entry level cert to build to higher level
> cert. Once you finish the net+, you have no where to go. All comptia
> is entry level.
>
> Want to do Linux admin? The Linux+ is a joke, go with RHCE or LPIC.

These are good points, but your earlier points have
no merit and should have been excluded.

Bill Eitner

Patty wrote:
> On Sat, 23 Jan 2010 12:21:22 -0800 (PST), walterbyrd wrote:
>
>> What a total joke.
>>
>> 1) The issue is not whether or not it's a good idea for certs to
>> expire, it about business ethics. If I pay for a lifetime cert, then I
>> expect to get a lifetime cert - period. If I feel that my certs need
>> to be renewed, then I can chose to renew.
>>
>> 2) Since when has that material on compia exams ever been current?
>> Comptia still tests on ms-dos, wi

> My personal feeling is that fewer people today are working towards getting
> CompTIA certs and thus, CompTIA has decided to try to get money out of the
> folks who already have their certs. How do I know this? In my area, no
> schools offer any training or education in CompTIA certs since the demand
> for them has dropped off to next to nothing.
>
> I too felt that I was getting my certification and it was going to last
> forever. If I'd decided to become an attorney and took my bar exam, do you
> think I need to do that again to stay an attorney? I think not. If I had
> decided to be a CPA and took the exam to be certified for that, do you
> think I'd have to do it again to stay certified? I think not.
>
> I think this is just an excuse for CompTIA and all the folks who provide
> the learning materials to continue to make money in an area that seems to
> be losing ground. Where I live, certs don't mean much, but a college
> degree does.

This is a good point. Past all the bitching/crying/arguing/
sniveling about certs, a computer science degree is always the
real deal/best.
--

> Patty

soup

walterbyrd wrote:

> CompTIA *still* tests on DOS and 80286s.

Does it? I better get back to the books then, as I know naught of DOS
or 286s.

BTW the current A+ deals with Pentium 1 and later processors (does do a
bit on AMD etc but the main stream seems to be Intel processors) so 286s
& 386s are not covered. The earliest O/Ses dealt with seem to be Win
2000/NT/XP(yes Linus et al are mentioned in the passing but generally
Windows versions seem to be the main O/Ss dealt with).