Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > I hope that they are still making PATA SSDs....

I hope that they are still making PATA SSDs....

~misfit~

...... when they become affordable.

I've read a few articles now about how laptops with single core Pentium M
CPUs are like a whole new machine if you replace the mechanical HDD with an
SSD. Aparently, in use they seem twice as fast and are well capable of
running Windows 7 at a good speed.

I see Ascent are listing some Transcend ATA/6 - 100 SSDs (which doesn't mean
that they can get them...) but they're still much too expensive to make it
worth while. $375 for a 64GB MLC SSD. Hell, the laptop I'd love to put it in
isn't worth much more than that.

I just hope that when I can afford one I can get a PATA one, (preferably an
SLC one too). What's the bet? Ascent aren't listing PATA SSDs from any other
companies as it is.

I reckon my back-up machine, an R51 ThinkPad with the IPS screen (a treat to
use) has a good few years left in it yet and I'd love to put an SSD in it
one day.

Ho-hum.
--
Shaun.