Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > What do I do with USB drive?

What do I do with USB drive?

Julie Bove

I've been told to get one for my daughter's Netbook. When I do, what do I
do with it? Just stick it in the port and then what?

I've been told I can use it to print. How do I do that? Just stick it in
the desktop processor and... Then what?

Thanks!

Jeff Strickland

Back in the days of old, not long after Ramblers and Studebakers roamed the
land, computers used removable media as storage devices. These media began
as what they called a 5.25-inch floppy drive. Soon they were made smaller
and put into a hard plastic case and were called a 3.5-inch floppy --
although they weren't really floppy at all.

You would do work on your machine, and perhaps save the job to a floppy
drive so you could carry it home and do stuff on your home PC then save the
work again to the floppy so you could carry it back to the office.

As we evolved, these removable media became CDs, but because CDs could only
be written to once, it was not a very efficient way to carry work home.
Eventually, USB (universal serial bus) was created and standardized.

With USB, yoiu are able to plug your digital camera into the PC, or Mac, to
transfer photos. You plug in your iPod to transfer music. Now, you even plug
in your printer, scanner, bluetooth, and a whole host of other devices.
Among those devices is the External Hard Drive.

An external hard drive can be used exactly the same way as the floppy drive
of yesteryear. Perhaps you have a USB flashdrive that rembles the Bic butane
lighters that you buy at the mini-mart. These drives have a capacity of
about 4G (gigabytes), but are available in a wide range of capacities. (I
bought them as a 128M when they were first introduced, now they give that
size away free to the first 300 shoppers on Saturday morining, and you can
get 4G or 8G-capacity drives for what I paid for my 128M -- 1,000M = 1G, so
the price has come down a lot.)

Anyhow, you might have a few flashdrives (sometimes called thumbdrives)
laying around. You transfer files to them for storage or to merely transport
somewhere. You would use the External Drive in precisely the same way, but
there is vastly greater capacity. I saw a 1.5T (terabyte) capacity drive at
Costco the other day for about $150. (1,000G = 1T)

Let's say you have, or your daughter has, a digital video camera. You go on
vacation and shoot loads of video. You would connect the camera and the
external drive to the computer and transfer the movies to the drive so the
camera would be free to record more movies the next day. Maybe you have
several hundred CDs of Garth Brooks and Lynard Skynard. You could put these
files on the external drive so you could take them to a friend's house to
play on their computer. Or, you have work that you need to carry home to
work on over the weekend, you could put it on the external drive -- although
the flashdrive would probably work better for that just because it's smaller
and lighter.

"Julie Bove" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:hip64l$vb$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...
> I've been told to get one for my daughter's Netbook. When I do, what do I
> do with it? Just stick it in the port and then what?
>
> I've been told I can use it to print. How do I do that? Just stick it in
> the desktop processor and... Then what?
>
> Thanks!

housetrained

"Jeff Strickland" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:hiq8b1$hsk$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...
> Back in the days of old, not long after Ramblers and Studebakers roamed
> the land, computers used removable media as storage devices. These media
> began as what they called a 5.25-inch floppy drive. Soon they were made
> smaller and put into a hard plastic case and were called a 3.5-inch
> floppy -- although they weren't really floppy at all.
>
> You would do work on your machine, and perhaps save the job to a floppy
> drive so you could carry it home and do stuff on your home PC then save
> the work again to the floppy so you could carry it back to the office.
>
> As we evolved, these removable media became CDs, but because CDs could
> only be written to once, it was not a very efficient way to carry work
> home. Eventually, USB (universal serial bus) was created and standardized.
>
> With USB, yoiu are able to plug your digital camera into the PC, or Mac,
> to transfer photos. You plug in your iPod to transfer music. Now, you even
> plug in your printer, scanner, bluetooth, and a whole host of other
> devices. Among those devices is the External Hard Drive.
>
> An external hard drive can be used exactly the same way as the floppy
> drive of yesteryear. Perhaps you have a USB flashdrive that rembles the
> Bic butane lighters that you buy at the mini-mart. These drives have a
> capacity of about 4G (gigabytes), but are available in a wide range of
> capacities. (I bought them as a 128M when they were first introduced, now
> they give that size away free to the first 300 shoppers on Saturday
> morining, and you can get 4G or 8G-capacity drives for what I paid for my
> 128M -- 1,000M = 1G, so the price has come down a lot.)
>
> Anyhow, you might have a few flashdrives (sometimes called thumbdrives)
> laying around. You transfer files to them for storage or to merely
> transport somewhere. You would use the External Drive in precisely the
> same way, but there is vastly greater capacity. I saw a 1.5T (terabyte)
> capacity drive at Costco the other day for about $150. (1,000G = 1T)
>
> Let's say you have, or your daughter has, a digital video camera. You go
> on vacation and shoot loads of video. You would connect the camera and the
> external drive to the computer and transfer the movies to the drive so the
> camera would be free to record more movies the next day. Maybe you have
> several hundred CDs of Garth Brooks and Lynard Skynard. You could put
> these files on the external drive so you could take them to a friend's
> house to play on their computer. Or, you have work that you need to carry
> home to work on over the weekend, you could put it on the external
> drive -- although the flashdrive would probably work better for that just
> because it's smaller and lighter.

Alternatively, you could use it to microwave a ready meal.

--
"When a thing ceases to be a subject of controversy, it ceases to be a
subject of interest." - William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Julie Bove

"Jeff Strickland" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:hiq8b1$hsk$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...
> Back in the days of old, not long after Ramblers and Studebakers roamed
> the land, computers used removable media as storage devices. These media
> began as what they called a 5.25-inch floppy drive. Soon they were made
> smaller and put into a hard plastic case and were called a 3.5-inch
> floppy -- although they weren't really floppy at all.
>
> You would do work on your machine, and perhaps save the job to a floppy
> drive so you could carry it home and do stuff on your home PC then save
> the work again to the floppy so you could carry it back to the office.
>
> As we evolved, these removable media became CDs, but because CDs could
> only be written to once, it was not a very efficient way to carry work
> home. Eventually, USB (universal serial bus) was created and standardized.
>
> With USB, yoiu are able to plug your digital camera into the PC, or Mac,
> to transfer photos. You plug in your iPod to transfer music. Now, you even
> plug in your printer, scanner, bluetooth, and a whole host of other
> devices. Among those devices is the External Hard Drive.
>
> An external hard drive can be used exactly the same way as the floppy
> drive of yesteryear. Perhaps you have a USB flashdrive that rembles the
> Bic butane lighters that you buy at the mini-mart. These drives have a
> capacity of about 4G (gigabytes), but are available in a wide range of
> capacities. (I bought them as a 128M when they were first introduced, now
> they give that size away free to the first 300 shoppers on Saturday
> morining, and you can get 4G or 8G-capacity drives for what I paid for my
> 128M -- 1,000M = 1G, so the price has come down a lot.)
>
> Anyhow, you might have a few flashdrives (sometimes called thumbdrives)
> laying around. You transfer files to them for storage or to merely
> transport somewhere. You would use the External Drive in precisely the
> same way, but there is vastly greater capacity. I saw a 1.5T (terabyte)
> capacity drive at Costco the other day for about $150. (1,000G = 1T)
>
> Let's say you have, or your daughter has, a digital video camera. You go
> on vacation and shoot loads of video. You would connect the camera and the
> external drive to the computer and transfer the movies to the drive so the
> camera would be free to record more movies the next day. Maybe you have
> several hundred CDs of Garth Brooks and Lynard Skynard. You could put
> these files on the external drive so you could take them to a friend's
> house to play on their computer. Or, you have work that you need to carry
> home to work on over the weekend, you could put it on the external
> drive -- although the flashdrive would probably work better for that just
> because it's smaller and lighter.

Thanks! No digital cam and no interest in one. We were just trying to find
a way she could do her homework on there and print it if necessary.

Paul

Julie Bove wrote:
> "Jeff Strickland" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:hiq8b1$hsk$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...
>> Back in the days of old, not long after Ramblers and Studebakers roamed
>> the land, computers used removable media as storage devices. These media
>> began as what they called a 5.25-inch floppy drive. Soon they were made
>> smaller and put into a hard plastic case and were called a 3.5-inch
>> floppy -- although they weren't really floppy at all.
>>
>> You would do work on your machine, and perhaps save the job to a floppy
>> drive so you could carry it home and do stuff on your home PC then save
>> the work again to the floppy so you could carry it back to the office.
>>
>> As we evolved, these removable media became CDs, but because CDs could
>> only be written to once, it was not a very efficient way to carry work
>> home. Eventually, USB (universal serial bus) was created and standardized.
>>
>> With USB, yoiu are able to plug your digital camera into the PC, or Mac,
>> to transfer photos. You plug in your iPod to transfer music. Now, you even
>> plug in your printer, scanner, bluetooth, and a whole host of other
>> devices. Among those devices is the External Hard Drive.
>>
>> An external hard drive can be used exactly the same way as the floppy
>> drive of yesteryear. Perhaps you have a USB flashdrive that rembles the
>> Bic butane lighters that you buy at the mini-mart. These drives have a
>> capacity of about 4G (gigabytes), but are available in a wide range of
>> capacities. (I bought them as a 128M when they were first introduced, now
>> they give that size away free to the first 300 shoppers on Saturday
>> morining, and you can get 4G or 8G-capacity drives for what I paid for my
>> 128M -- 1,000M = 1G, so the price has come down a lot.)
>>
>> Anyhow, you might have a few flashdrives (sometimes called thumbdrives)
>> laying around. You transfer files to them for storage or to merely
>> transport somewhere. You would use the External Drive in precisely the
>> same way, but there is vastly greater capacity. I saw a 1.5T (terabyte)
>> capacity drive at Costco the other day for about $150. (1,000G = 1T)
>>
>> Let's say you have, or your daughter has, a digital video camera. You go
>> on vacation and shoot loads of video. You would connect the camera and the
>> external drive to the computer and transfer the movies to the drive so the
>> camera would be free to record more movies the next day. Maybe you have
>> several hundred CDs of Garth Brooks and Lynard Skynard. You could put
>> these files on the external drive so you could take them to a friend's
>> house to play on their computer. Or, you have work that you need to carry
>> home to work on over the weekend, you could put it on the external
>> drive -- although the flashdrive would probably work better for that just
>> because it's smaller and lighter.

> Thanks! No digital cam and no interest in one. We were just trying to find
> a way she could do her homework on there and print it if necessary.

If you want to print from a netbook, there are inkjet printers that are
cheap to buy, but expensive on expendables (ink is expensive).

As long as the netbook has a USB connector, there are plenty of toys you
can connect to it. You can even connect an external USB DVD burner, if you
need the ability to install software or burn CDs or DVDs.

If you need to save money on per-page printing costs, a laser printer might be
better. You buy toner cartridges for them. Depending on the technology,
it is still possible to scratch the belt or drum which is photosensitive,
and the replacement costs you a bit. (Sometimes, the photosensitive bit is
part of the replacement toner cartridge.) But compared to inkjet, you're
more likely to keep the printing costs down. As long as homework can be
submitted in b&w printing, this might be better.

This printer, by comparison, is a laser printer, but instead of a USB wire,
it supports wireless printing. If the netbook has wireless capability for
wireless networking, you could connect to this printer. The printer also
has an Ethernet cable, if you just want to connect it to your router.
I found this one, by sorting the units by best rating, and this one
got the best rating. A networked printer has the advantage, that more
than one user in the house can easily print to it. A disadvantage might
be, the potential for the setup of the printer to be more complicated.

Paul

Julie Bove

news:hir4i2$ikb$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...
> [...]

> and the replacement costs you a bit. (Sometimes, the photosensitive bit is
> part of the replacement toner cartridge.) But compared to inkjet, you're
> more likely to keep the printing costs down. As long as homework can be
> submitted in b&w printing, this might be better.

> This printer, by comparison, is a laser printer, but instead of a USB
> wire,
> it supports wireless printing. If the netbook has wireless capability for
> wireless networking, you could connect to this printer. The printer also
> has an Ethernet cable, if you just want to connect it to your router.
> I found this one, by sorting the units by best rating, and this one
> got the best rating. A networked printer has the advantage, that more
> than one user in the house can easily print to it. A disadvantage might
> be, the potential for the setup of the printer to be more complicated.

I don't want to buy another printer. The one I have works just fine. And I
don't have room for another one. But if the USB drive would work to print,
that's what I want to do.

Paul

Julie Bove wrote:

> I don't want to buy another printer. The one I have works just fine. And I
> don't have room for another one. But if the USB drive would work to print,
> that's what I want to do.

OK, what kind of printer do you currently have ? Does it have a parallel port ?
Something along these lines ?

http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/e.../parallel2.jpg

There are USB to parallel adapter cables. Not all of them
work well. Read the reviews before you buy one.

The reviews on this one are a little bit better, but I suppose it
depends on which printer they were trying it with.

Adapters are available for a limited number of protocols. Some
protocol conversions are easy, while others are hard. A successful
protocol conversion, allows an older device to be used. As an
example of an obscure converter which I own, I have a USB to ADB
adapter, which allows me to plug a ten year old Macintosh keyboard
into my PC (don't ask why...)

The USB to Parallel port adapters, are not "perfect" adaptations.
They're designed to use a Microsoft USB printing software stack, and not
support all possible modes that ordinary parallel ports on older
computers might have used. So if you were looking for an adapter
that could support non-printing usage of a parallel port, those
won't work for that (like a dongle used by expensive software as
a license server). But they do give you some odds of making
a printer work, without having to buy a print server box (which
might cost as much as an inkjet printer).

Paul

Julie Bove

news:hirh8a$erl$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...
> Julie Bove wrote:
>

>> I don't want to buy another printer. The one I have works just fine.
>> And I don't have room for another one. But if the USB drive would work
>> to print, that's what I want to do.

> OK, what kind of printer do you currently have ? Does it have a parallel
> port ?
> Something along these lines ?
>
> http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/e.../parallel2.jpg
>
> There are USB to parallel adapter cables. Not all of them
> work well. Read the reviews before you buy one.

> The reviews on this one are a little bit better, but I suppose it
> depends on which printer they were trying it with.

> Adapters are available for a limited number of protocols. Some
> protocol conversions are easy, while others are hard. A successful
> protocol conversion, allows an older device to be used. As an
> example of an obscure converter which I own, I have a USB to ADB
> adapter, which allows me to plug a ten year old Macintosh keyboard
> into my PC (don't ask why...)
>
> The USB to Parallel port adapters, are not "perfect" adaptations.
> They're designed to use a Microsoft USB printing software stack, and not
> support all possible modes that ordinary parallel ports on older
> computers might have used. So if you were looking for an adapter
> that could support non-printing usage of a parallel port, those
> won't work for that (like a dongle used by expensive software as
> a license server). But they do give you some odds of making
> a printer work, without having to buy a print server box (which
> might cost as much as an inkjet printer).

I'm afraid you are just confusing me further. My printer is a Lexmark and
plugs into a USB port. Now I assume that if I really wanted to (but I
don't) I could simply unplug my Desktop cable to the printer and plug that
into the Netbook. And then I could print. But I don't want to do that.

I was told to get the USB drive and I could use it to print.

Someone elsewhere said it was as simple as plugging it into the Netbook,
then when I want to print, pulling it out and sticking it into an open USB
port on the Desktop. The computer will then sense what it is (Win XP Home)
and I can go from there to print it.

Does it not work this way?

I know my husband does something like this with his Laptop but I never paid
much attention to exactly what he was doing and he's not here to ask.

Paul

Julie Bove wrote:
> news:hirh8a$erl$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...
>> Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>>> I don't want to buy another printer. The one I have works just fine.
>>> And I don't have room for another one. But if the USB drive would work
>>> to print, that's what I want to do.

>> OK, what kind of printer do you currently have ? Does it have a parallel
>> port ?
>> Something along these lines ?
>>
>> http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/e.../parallel2.jpg
>>
>> There are USB to parallel adapter cables. Not all of them
>> work well. Read the reviews before you buy one.
>>
>> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16812156005
>>
>> The reviews on this one are a little bit better, but I suppose it
>> depends on which printer they were trying it with.
>>
>> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16812224011
>>
>> Adapters are available for a limited number of protocols. Some
>> protocol conversions are easy, while others are hard. A successful
>> protocol conversion, allows an older device to be used. As an
>> example of an obscure converter which I own, I have a USB to ADB
>> adapter, which allows me to plug a ten year old Macintosh keyboard
>> into my PC (don't ask why...)
>>
>> The USB to Parallel port adapters, are not "perfect" adaptations.
>> They're designed to use a Microsoft USB printing software stack, and not
>> support all possible modes that ordinary parallel ports on older
>> computers might have used. So if you were looking for an adapter
>> that could support non-printing usage of a parallel port, those
>> won't work for that (like a dongle used by expensive software as
>> a license server). But they do give you some odds of making
>> a printer work, without having to buy a print server box (which
>> might cost as much as an inkjet printer).

> I'm afraid you are just confusing me further. My printer is a Lexmark and
> plugs into a USB port. Now I assume that if I really wanted to (but I
> don't) I could simply unplug my Desktop cable to the printer and plug that
> into the Netbook. And then I could print. But I don't want to do that.
>
> I was told to get the USB drive and I could use it to print.
>
> Someone elsewhere said it was as simple as plugging it into the Netbook,
> then when I want to print, pulling it out and sticking it into an open USB
> port on the Desktop. The computer will then sense what it is (Win XP Home)
> and I can go from there to print it.
>
> Does it not work this way?
>
> I know my husband does something like this with his Laptop but I never paid
> much attention to exactly what he was doing and he's not here to ask.

Yes, if you want, you can move the printer from one computer to the other,
and just plug it into the USB port when needed. Of course that will work.

If you want to avoid the physical nature of hooking to the printer, there
are otner solutions. But they aren't completely bulletproof, and you can
see how much trouble this solution is, by reading the customer reviews.
Once it is set up though, barring a hardware failure, it should just work.

*******

OK, to summarize, you have a USB printer, a desktop and a laptop, and wish to
share a printer. So you're looking for *something* which will allow either
computer to print. And presumably, you don't want both computers to
have to be on, for that to happen. If both computers were always on,
then you might be able to share a printer without any new hardware.
Using a print server, means the computer can be independently turned
off when desired, and the printer and print server remain powered,
waiting for a print job.

This is a wired print server. The setup guide is inside the ZIP file and is
a PDF document. On page 2 it shows a networking diagram.

ftp://ftp.dlink.com/Printserver/dp30...0U_QIG_100.zip

(Customer reviews for DP300U)

http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=DP-300U

I'll redraw it here. The printing solution takes up one port on your
router. Either computer can reach the printer, as long as the router
is turned on (which you need to reach the Internet anyway) and the
print server is also left on.

ADSL or Cable
Modem

Router -------------------- Wired ----- USB ----- printer
| | Print
Computer Computer Server
#1 #2 DP300U
$60

This one is similar, except it supports both wired and wireless (and
left me a bit confused). It almost looks like a router that happens
to run a printer on the side.

NETGEAR WGPS606 54 Mbps Wireless Print Server 802.11b/g, 4 x RJ-45 USB 1.1 - Retail

Netgear even has a compatibility page for their print server.
There are a couple Lexmark devices listed as not compatible.

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1093

(Documentation)
http://kb.netgear.com/app/products/model/a_id/2581

Installation guide.
http://kbserver.netgear.com/pdf/wpgs...tall_guide.pdf

The Netgear allows you to do this, if your existing router supports
at least wireless. The print server is effectively on the LAN side.

ADSL or Cable
Modem

Router --/\/\ /\/\--Wireless ----- USB ----- printer
| | Print
Computer Computer Server
#1 #2 WGPS606
$60

If the router is wireless, and the netbook is wireless, then the
netbook can print as you walk around the house. The DP300U at least,
uses a wired connection to its "router friend", so the router would
need to have at least one free LAN port to support it.

The Netgear device doesn't support WPA2 for highest security, which
is a minus. Somehow, I doubt your existing router can be run in two
modes at once, so the device with the weakest security options
determines what settings can be used.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wpa2#WPA2

This Asus device, appears to support WPA2, and looks complete enough to
even replace your router if you wanted. And it is also $60. Of
course, with Asus, you wouldn't expect to get a printer compatibility
chart.

http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/wir...pv2_manual.zip

There are probably other ways to get a print server, a spigot on
the back of some other piece of equipment. If none of the above
complexity appeals to you (and it doesn't appeal to me), then stick
with moving the USB cable from one computer to the other. At least
I can understand how that works Setting up networking doesn't
scare me particularly, but I can see myself staring at manuals
and web browser screens for hours, trying to figure out how
to get the WPA2 working.

Any computer that would remain powered at all times, might be
used as a print server as well. But that would surely waste
more electricity, than one of those $60 boxes. The $60 box
would use 5V at 1 to 2 amps, so call it a 10 watt drain
all the time. No computer is going to be able to match that,
unless it is completely asleep.

If you had a computer that worked as a file server, then that
would be a good candidate for adding a printer serving function
at no cost. Since the file server would be running 24/7,
it would be a good machine to plug the USB printer into.

Paul

Jeff Strickland

"Julie Bove" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:hir0od$tlu$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...

> "Jeff Strickland" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:hiq8b1$hsk$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...
>> Back in the days of old, not long after Ramblers and Studebakers roamed
>> the land, computers used removable media as storage devices. These media
>> began as what they called a 5.25-inch floppy drive. Soon they were made
>> smaller and put into a hard plastic case and were called a 3.5-inch
>> floppy -- although they weren't really floppy at all.
>>
>> You would do work on your machine, and perhaps save the job to a floppy
>> drive so you could carry it home and do stuff on your home PC then save
>> the work again to the floppy so you could carry it back to the office.
>>
>> As we evolved, these removable media became CDs, but because CDs could
>> only be written to once, it was not a very efficient way to carry work
>> home. Eventually, USB (universal serial bus) was created and
>> standardized.
>>
>> With USB, yoiu are able to plug your digital camera into the PC, or Mac,
>> to transfer photos. You plug in your iPod to transfer music. Now, you
>> even plug in your printer, scanner, bluetooth, and a whole host of other
>> devices. Among those devices is the External Hard Drive.
>>
>> An external hard drive can be used exactly the same way as the floppy
>> drive of yesteryear. Perhaps you have a USB flashdrive that rembles the
>> Bic butane lighters that you buy at the mini-mart. These drives have a
>> capacity of about 4G (gigabytes), but are available in a wide range of
>> capacities. (I bought them as a 128M when they were first introduced, now
>> they give that size away free to the first 300 shoppers on Saturday
>> morining, and you can get 4G or 8G-capacity drives for what I paid for my
>> 128M -- 1,000M = 1G, so the price has come down a lot.)
>>
>> Anyhow, you might have a few flashdrives (sometimes called thumbdrives)
>> laying around. You transfer files to them for storage or to merely
>> transport somewhere. You would use the External Drive in precisely the
>> same way, but there is vastly greater capacity. I saw a 1.5T (terabyte)
>> capacity drive at Costco the other day for about $150. (1,000G = 1T)
>>
>> Let's say you have, or your daughter has, a digital video camera. You go
>> on vacation and shoot loads of video. You would connect the camera and
>> the external drive to the computer and transfer the movies to the drive
>> so the camera would be free to record more movies the next day. Maybe you
>> have several hundred CDs of Garth Brooks and Lynard Skynard. You could
>> put these files on the external drive so you could take them to a
>> friend's house to play on their computer. Or, you have work that you need
>> to carry home to work on over the weekend, you could put it on the
>> external drive -- although the flashdrive would probably work better for
>> that just because it's smaller and lighter.

> Thanks! No digital cam and no interest in one. We were just trying to
> find a way she could do her homework on there and print it if necessary.

The external drive is useful for loads of uses, if you have 70-ish dollars
you can get a very good one that will take a very long time to fill.

I'm not sure your kid will need a drive to save her documents and
spreadsheets to just to carry them to another computer in your house to
print, a flashdrive would do this task exactly the same way and cost less to
do it. Odds are good that you arleady have a few of these laying around that
you can donate to her.

The Netbook has a wireless adaptor already built in that is used to get into
your wireless router -- if you have fiber optic service, high speed cable,
or some other form of feed, yoiu probably have a wireless router already --
then she can see the printers in your house and print directly to them.

It is an easy task to establish a Workgroup at home, then you can share the
resources you have among the population of computers. With a workgroup, the
computer in the den is visible to the computer in the family room, and the
netbook in your kid's room. and the computer in the office, and so on. When
you are setting up the workgroup, you tell the Wizard that you want to share
files and printers, and then the folders and printers on each machine are
visible to the other machines in the group. When your kid clicks File Print,
she simply navigates the dropdown list to the printer she wants to use and
clicks OK, then plods downstairs in her bunnyslippers to the den and gets
her print job. If you have a machine with a fancy photo printer, and another
machine with a simple black-only laser printer, then she will want the laser
printer for reports, and save the photo ink for the homemade birthday card
she wants to send to Grandma.