Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > What do I do with USB drive?

What do I do with USB drive?

Julie Bove

news:hirtdh$qgg$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...
> [...]
>>>
>>> The reviews on this one are a little bit better, but I suppose it
>>> depends on which printer they were trying it with.
>>>
>>> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16812224011
>>>
>>> Adapters are available for a limited number of protocols. Some
>>> protocol conversions are easy, while others are hard. A successful
>>> protocol conversion, allows an older device to be used. As an
>>> example of an obscure converter which I own, I have a USB to ADB
>>> adapter, which allows me to plug a ten year old Macintosh keyboard
>>> into my PC (don't ask why...)
>>>
>>> The USB to Parallel port adapters, are not "perfect" adaptations.
>>> They're designed to use a Microsoft USB printing software stack, and not
>>> support all possible modes that ordinary parallel ports on older
>>> computers might have used. So if you were looking for an adapter
>>> that could support non-printing usage of a parallel port, those
>>> won't work for that (like a dongle used by expensive software as
>>> a license server). But they do give you some odds of making
>>> a printer work, without having to buy a print server box (which
>>> might cost as much as an inkjet printer).

>> I'm afraid you are just confusing me further. My printer is a Lexmark
>> and plugs into a USB port. Now I assume that if I really wanted to (but
>> I don't) I could simply unplug my Desktop cable to the printer and plug
>> that into the Netbook. And then I could print. But I don't want to do
>> that.
>>
>> I was told to get the USB drive and I could use it to print.
>>
>> Someone elsewhere said it was as simple as plugging it into the Netbook,
>> then when I want to print, pulling it out and sticking it into an open
>> USB port on the Desktop. The computer will then sense what it is (Win XP
>> Home) and I can go from there to print it.
>>
>> Does it not work this way?
>>
>> I know my husband does something like this with his Laptop but I never
>> paid much attention to exactly what he was doing and he's not here to
>> ask.

> Yes, if you want, you can move the printer from one computer to the other,
> and just plug it into the USB port when needed. Of course that will work.
>
> If you want to avoid the physical nature of hooking to the printer, there
> are otner solutions. But they aren't completely bulletproof, and you can
> see how much trouble this solution is, by reading the customer reviews.
> Once it is set up though, barring a hardware failure, it should just work.
>
> *******
>
> OK, to summarize, you have a USB printer, a desktop and a laptop, and wish
> share a printer. So you're looking for *something* which will allow either
> computer to print. And presumably, you don't want both computers to
> have to be on, for that to happen. If both computers were always on,
> then you might be able to share a printer without any new hardware.
> Using a print server, means the computer can be independently turned
> off when desired, and the printer and print server remain powered,

No. Not necessarily. I was told that with the USB drive, I could take it
out of the Netbook and plug it into the Desktop and then print whatever was
on the Netbook. Will this not work?

Basically I want to know is what the USB drive will do for us. I had one
that I got as a gift many years ago and I gave it away. At the time I
didn't have a spare USB port. My dad said it was used for pictures. I
don't have a digital camera and am not likely to get one. So I had no use
for it. Now the school is telling me to get one for my daughter.

> This is a wired print server. The setup guide is inside the ZIP file and
> is
> a PDF document. On page 2 it shows a networking diagram.
>
> ftp://ftp.dlink.com/Printserver/dp30...0U_QIG_100.zip
>
> (Customer reviews for DP300U)
>
> http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=DP-300U

Sorry. This stuff is all over my head.

> I'll redraw it here. The printing solution takes up one port on your
> router. Either computer can reach the printer, as long as the router
> is turned on (which you need to reach the Internet anyway) and the
> print server is also left on.
>
> ADSL or Cable
> Modem
> |

> Router -------------------- Wired ----- USB ----- printer
> | | Print
> Computer Computer Server
> #1 #2 DP300U
> $60
>
> This one is similar, except it supports both wired and wireless (and
> left me a bit confused). It almost looks like a router that happens
> to run a printer on the side.
>
> NETGEAR WGPS606 54 Mbps Wireless Print Server 802.11b/g, 4 x RJ-45 USB
> 1.1 - Retail

> Netgear even has a compatibility page for their print server.
> There are a couple Lexmark devices listed as not compatible.
>
> http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1093
>
> (Documentation)
> http://kb.netgear.com/app/products/model/a_id/2581
>
> Installation guide.
> http://kbserver.netgear.com/pdf/wpgs...tall_guide.pdf
>
> The Netgear allows you to do this, if your existing router supports
> at least wireless. The print server is effectively on the LAN side.
>
> ADSL or Cable
> Modem
> |

> Router --/\/\ /\/\--Wireless ----- USB ----- printer
> | | Print
> Computer Computer Server
> #1 #2 WGPS606
> $60
>
> If the router is wireless, and the netbook is wireless, then the
> netbook can print as you walk around the house. The DP300U at least,
> uses a wired connection to its "router friend", so the router would
> need to have at least one free LAN port to support it.

We do have a wireless router. But the rest is over my head.

> The Netgear device doesn't support WPA2 for highest security, which
> is a minus. Somehow, I doubt your existing router can be run in two
> modes at once, so the device with the weakest security options
> determines what settings can be used.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wpa2#WPA2
>
> This Asus device, appears to support WPA2, and looks complete enough to
> even replace your router if you wanted. And it is also $60. Of
> course, with Asus, you wouldn't expect to get a printer compatibility
> chart.
>
> http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/wir...pv2_manual.zip

> There are probably other ways to get a print server, a spigot on
> the back of some other piece of equipment. If none of the above
> complexity appeals to you (and it doesn't appeal to me), then stick
> with moving the USB cable from one computer to the other. At least
> I can understand how that works Setting up networking doesn't
> scare me particularly, but I can see myself staring at manuals
> and web browser screens for hours, trying to figure out how
> to get the WPA2 working.

I do not not like complex things.

> Any computer that would remain powered at all times, might be
> used as a print server as well. But that would surely waste
> more electricity, than one of those $60 boxes. The $60 box
> would use 5V at 1 to 2 amps, so call it a 10 watt drain
> all the time. No computer is going to be able to match that,
> unless it is completely asleep.
>
> If you had a computer that worked as a file server, then that
> would be a good candidate for adding a printer serving function
> at no cost. Since the file server would be running 24/7,
> it would be a good machine to plug the USB printer into.

Sorry. I don't even know what a file server is.

Julie Bove

"Jeff Strickland" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:hisu2a$avo$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...

> [...]
>>>
>>> You would do work on your machine, and perhaps save the job to a floppy
>>> drive so you could carry it home and do stuff on your home PC then save
>>> the work again to the floppy so you could carry it back to the office.
>>>
>>> As we evolved, these removable media became CDs, but because CDs could
>>> only be written to once, it was not a very efficient way to carry work
>>> home. Eventually, USB (universal serial bus) was created and
>>> standardized.
>>>
>>> With USB, yoiu are able to plug your digital camera into the PC, or Mac,
>>> to transfer photos. You plug in your iPod to transfer music. Now, you
>>> even plug in your printer, scanner, bluetooth, and a whole host of other
>>> devices. Among those devices is the External Hard Drive.
>>>
>>> An external hard drive can be used exactly the same way as the floppy
>>> drive of yesteryear. Perhaps you have a USB flashdrive that rembles the
>>> Bic butane lighters that you buy at the mini-mart. These drives have a
>>> capacity of about 4G (gigabytes), but are available in a wide range of
>>> capacities. (I bought them as a 128M when they were first introduced,
>>> now they give that size away free to the first 300 shoppers on Saturday
>>> morining, and you can get 4G or 8G-capacity drives for what I paid for
>>> my 128M -- 1,000M = 1G, so the price has come down a lot.)
>>>
>>> Anyhow, you might have a few flashdrives (sometimes called thumbdrives)
>>> laying around. You transfer files to them for storage or to merely
>>> transport somewhere. You would use the External Drive in precisely the
>>> same way, but there is vastly greater capacity. I saw a 1.5T (terabyte)
>>> capacity drive at Costco the other day for about $150. (1,000G = 1T)
>>>
>>> Let's say you have, or your daughter has, a digital video camera. You go
>>> on vacation and shoot loads of video. You would connect the camera and
>>> the external drive to the computer and transfer the movies to the drive
>>> so the camera would be free to record more movies the next day. Maybe
>>> you have several hundred CDs of Garth Brooks and Lynard Skynard. You
>>> could put these files on the external drive so you could take them to a
>>> friend's house to play on their computer. Or, you have work that you
>>> need to carry home to work on over the weekend, you could put it on the
>>> external drive -- although the flashdrive would probably work better for
>>> that just because it's smaller and lighter.

>> Thanks! No digital cam and no interest in one. We were just trying to
>> find a way she could do her homework on there and print it if necessary.
>>

> The external drive is useful for loads of uses, if you have 70-ish dollars
> you can get a very good one that will take a very long time to fill.
>
> I'm not sure your kid will need a drive to save her documents and
> spreadsheets to just to carry them to another computer in your house to
> print, a flashdrive would do this task exactly the same way and cost less
> to do it. Odds are good that you arleady have a few of these laying around

I don't even know what a spreadsheet is and I don't think she works with
them. She's only in the 6th grade. I do not have any flashdrives laying
around. I had one and got rid of it, not knowing what to do with it.

> The Netbook has a wireless adaptor already built in that is used to get
> into your wireless router -- if you have fiber optic service, high speed
> cable, or some other form of feed, yoiu probably have a wireless router
> already -- then she can see the printers in your house and print directly
> to them.

We have a wireless router but we don't have a wireless printer.

> It is an easy task to establish a Workgroup at home, then you can share
> the resources you have among the population of computers. With a
> workgroup, the computer in the den is visible to the computer in the
> family room, and the netbook in your kid's room. and the computer in the
> office, and so on. When you are setting up the workgroup, you tell the
> Wizard that you want to share files and printers, and then the folders and
> printers on each machine are visible to the other machines in the group.
> When your kid clicks File Print, she simply navigates the dropdown list to
> the printer she wants to use and clicks OK, then plods downstairs in her
> bunnyslippers to the den and gets her print job. If you have a machine
> with a fancy photo printer, and another machine with a simple black-only
> laser printer, then she will want the laser printer for reports, and save
> the photo ink for the homemade birthday card she wants to send to Grandma.

No, we don't have that kind of printer and I'm not going to get one.

So are you telling me we can't use the USB drive to print something?

JD

On 15/01/2010 7:40 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
> I've been told to get one for my daughter's Netbook. When I do, what do I
> do with it? Just stick it in the port and then what?
>
> I've been told I can use it to print. How do I do that? Just stick it in
> the desktop processor and... Then what?
>
> Thanks!

Wow crazy long thread for such a simple thing.

The only way you could use a USB drive to print is to:

A) move the file you want to copy to the USB drive then plug that into
the printer (if it supports USB drives/keys)

B) plug it into a computer attached to a printer and print it from there

A USB drives only function is to store information what you do with said
information is up to you.

there are easier and free ways to print remotely such as Printer shares
or a print server attached to your router (assuming you are using a router)

Some links for sharing a printer:

XP
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u.../printers.mspx

Vista
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/w...rinter-sharing

Win7
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/w...hare-a-printer

JD

Julie Bove

"JD" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:4b52133b$0$2524$(E-Mail Removed)...
> On 15/01/2010 7:40 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
>> I've been told to get one for my daughter's Netbook. When I do, what do
>> do with it? Just stick it in the port and then what?
>>
>> I've been told I can use it to print. How do I do that? Just stick it
>> in
>> the desktop processor and... Then what?
>>
>> Thanks!
>>

> Wow crazy long thread for such a simple thing.
>
> The only way you could use a USB drive to print is to:
>
> A) move the file you want to copy to the USB drive then plug that into the
> printer (if it supports USB drives/keys)
>
> B) plug it into a computer attached to a printer and print it from there
>
> A USB drives only function is to store information what you do with said
> information is up to you.
>
> there are easier and free ways to print remotely such as Printer shares or
> a print server attached to your router (assuming you are using a router)
>
> Some links for sharing a printer:
>
> XP
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u.../printers.mspx
>
> Vista
> http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/w...rinter-sharing
>
> Win7
> http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/w...hare-a-printer

So I can NOT plug it into my Desktop computer, and then print the file from
there? I could swear this is how my husband does it.

We do use a wireless router but I don't know anything beyond that.

Paul

Julie Bove wrote:

> No. Not necessarily. I was told that with the USB drive, I could take it
> out of the Netbook and plug it into the Desktop and then print whatever was
> on the Netbook. Will this not work?
>
> Basically I want to know is what the USB drive will do for us. I had one
> that I got as a gift many years ago and I gave it away. At the time I
> didn't have a spare USB port. My dad said it was used for pictures. I
> don't have a digital camera and am not likely to get one. So I had no use
> for it. Now the school is telling me to get one for my daughter.

Yes, you can walk a hard drive or a flash drive, from one computer to
another, plug into the USB port, and print something from the drive. In
the case of proprietary formats, like if you had a Microsoft WORD .doc, you'd
need Microsoft Word on the second machine, to convert the .doc into a print.

It is also possible to "print to file" on the original machine. That
converts what you see in the document window, into a series of bytes that
would be used for the print job. If you take that file and send it to the
printer later, in theory it is supposed to print just the same. I haven't
experimented with that here, to see what details are involved. I did things
like that years ago, with a Macintosh, but there really hasn't been a need
to do it recently. I mean, if I need to print (which I don't do much of),
I just plug in the USB printer I have an inkjet, which means
a relatively expensive per-page printing cost, so I only print
essential items on it.

A third option, is for things like photo files. Some printers have
a USB input port on the front, where you can plug a USB flash device
perhaps. The printer has some kind of small LCD screen, and allows
you to select photo files it sees on the storage device, and print the
photo. That might be a color inkjet printer, intended for glossy photo
printing. The printer also functions as a normal printer, but provides
the added function *just* for photo files (not homework assignments).
The concept would allow a person owning only the printer and a camera
perhaps, to print without need of a computer.

In the example here, the USB port used for photo printing is called
"PictBridge". You can see a small LCD screen, used for controlling
how the photo will be printed from whatever is plugged into the
PictBridge port.

In terms of wear and tear, I don't see the difference between
plugging in an external USB storage device, and carting that somewhere,
versus plugging in the USB printer. Both would require at least one
plug and unplug operation.

You can share USB devices with a USB switch, but that implies that the
netbook owner will be staying put in one place.

Computer#1 Computer#2
| |
| +---------------+
| |
+--------+
| A B |
| |
| Device |
+--------+

USB
Printer

At a minimum, a USB switch has a button on top, which allows you
to select either "A" or "B" to "own" the printer temporarily. You
can't switch in the middle of print jobs, because that would
corrupt the page currently printing. As long as the printer is
idle, you can push the button (or use a hot key on the keyboard),
to switch control of the printer. But one of those is only
worth owning if

1) The two computers are close enough to the switch. A basic USB
cable spans up to 16 feet. (You can purchase active extender
cables, but there is still an overall limit.) So without
using extenders, you can see the limits imposed by cable length.

2) If one of the computers is portable, and the user likes to walk
about with it, then there is still the wear and tear of plugging and
unplugging the USB cable. Which is what the USB switch is intended
to eliminate.

The print server concept is meant to eliminate at least some of that,
by converting the problem into "networking". With a print server,
as long as the printer is networked somehow, then the computers
can reach it. If you want to stay within the USB domain, then
there is still the need to plug in and so on. At least with
networking, it can be wireless.

If all the computers are wireless, obviously a wireless printer
also nicely solves the problem.

Considering your Lexmark, you should be looking at potential print
volume. How many pages would be printed per month as homework
assignments, and whether the printer is an inkjet or a laser
printer. Perhaps when you take into account the cost of inkjet
cartridges, a wireless laser printer might reduce your overall
operating costs. When I consider how much paper I went through
as a student, I'd hate to see the bill if all of that was
printed on an inkjet. That is how they make money on inkjet
printers, on the ink.

HTH,
Paul

Baron

Julie Bove Inscribed thus:

A USB memory stick is simply a storage device that can be used to
transfer data from one machine to another by copying it ! The data
you want to print is simply drag n drop onto the USB memory stick. On
the other machine, simply drag n drop the data off the memory stick !

--
Best Regards:
Baron.

Julie Bove

news:hit9rm$osb$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...
> Julie Bove wrote:
>

>> No. Not necessarily. I was told that with the USB drive, I could take
>> it out of the Netbook and plug it into the Desktop and then print
>> whatever was on the Netbook. Will this not work?
>>
>> Basically I want to know is what the USB drive will do for us. I had one
>> that I got as a gift many years ago and I gave it away. At the time I
>> didn't have a spare USB port. My dad said it was used for pictures. I
>> don't have a digital camera and am not likely to get one. So I had no
>> use for it. Now the school is telling me to get one for my daughter.

> Yes, you can walk a hard drive or a flash drive, from one computer to
> another, plug into the USB port, and print something from the drive. In
> the case of proprietary formats, like if you had a Microsoft WORD .doc,
> you'd
> need Microsoft Word on the second machine, to convert the .doc into a
> print.
>
> It is also possible to "print to file" on the original machine. That
> converts what you see in the document window, into a series of bytes that
> would be used for the print job. If you take that file and send it to the
> printer later, in theory it is supposed to print just the same. I haven't
> experimented with that here, to see what details are involved. I did
> things
> like that years ago, with a Macintosh, but there really hasn't been a need
> to do it recently. I mean, if I need to print (which I don't do much of),
> I just plug in the USB printer I have an inkjet, which means
> a relatively expensive per-page printing cost, so I only print
> essential items on it.

Okay. That's what I'll do then.

> A third option, is for things like photo files. Some printers have
> a USB input port on the front, where you can plug a USB flash device
> perhaps. The printer has some kind of small LCD screen, and allows
> you to select photo files it sees on the storage device, and print the
> photo. That might be a color inkjet printer, intended for glossy photo
> printing. The printer also functions as a normal printer, but provides
> the added function *just* for photo files (not homework assignments).
> The concept would allow a person owning only the printer and a camera
> perhaps, to print without need of a computer.

No photos so no problem there.

> In the example here, the USB port used for photo printing is called
> "PictBridge". You can see a small LCD screen, used for controlling
> how the photo will be printed from whatever is plugged into the
> PictBridge port.

> In terms of wear and tear, I don't see the difference between
> plugging in an external USB storage device, and carting that somewhere,
> versus plugging in the USB printer. Both would require at least one
> plug and unplug operation.
>
> You can share USB devices with a USB switch, but that implies that the
> netbook owner will be staying put in one place.

> Computer#1 Computer#2
> | |
> | +---------------+
> | |
> +--------+
> | A B |
> | |
> | Device |
> +--------+
> |

> USB
> Printer
>
> At a minimum, a USB switch has a button on top, which allows you
> to select either "A" or "B" to "own" the printer temporarily. You
> can't switch in the middle of print jobs, because that would
> corrupt the page currently printing. As long as the printer is
> idle, you can push the button (or use a hot key on the keyboard),
> to switch control of the printer. But one of those is only
> worth owning if
>
> 1) The two computers are close enough to the switch. A basic USB
> cable spans up to 16 feet. (You can purchase active extender
> cables, but there is still an overall limit.) So without
> using extenders, you can see the limits imposed by cable length.
>
> 2) If one of the computers is portable, and the user likes to walk
> about with it, then there is still the wear and tear of plugging and
> unplugging the USB cable. Which is what the USB switch is intended
> to eliminate.
>
> The print server concept is meant to eliminate at least some of that,
> by converting the problem into "networking". With a print server,
> as long as the printer is networked somehow, then the computers
> can reach it. If you want to stay within the USB domain, then
> there is still the need to plug in and so on. At least with
> networking, it can be wireless.
>
> If all the computers are wireless, obviously a wireless printer
> also nicely solves the problem.
>
> Considering your Lexmark, you should be looking at potential print
> volume. How many pages would be printed per month as homework
> assignments, and whether the printer is an inkjet or a laser
> printer. Perhaps when you take into account the cost of inkjet
> cartridges, a wireless laser printer might reduce your overall
> operating costs. When I consider how much paper I went through
> as a student, I'd hate to see the bill if all of that was
> printed on an inkjet. That is how they make money on inkjet
> printers, on the ink.

I don't think she would print too many pages at a time. So far this year
maybe about 10. We rarely use the printer at all.

Julie Bove

"Baron" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:hitaps$sla$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...
> Julie Bove Inscribed thus:
>
> A USB memory stick is simply a storage device that can be used to
> transfer data from one machine to another by copying it ! The data
> you want to print is simply drag n drop onto the USB memory stick. On
> the other machine, simply drag n drop the data off the memory stick !

Thanks!

Baron

Julie Bove Inscribed thus:

> "Baron" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:hitaps$sla$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...
>> Julie Bove Inscribed thus:
>>
>> A USB memory stick is simply a storage device that can be used to
>> transfer data from one machine to another by copying it ! The data
>> you want to print is simply drag n drop onto the USB memory stick.
>> On the other machine, simply drag n drop the data off the memory
>> stick !

> Thanks!

You're welcome.

--
Best Regards:
Baron.

Jeff Strickland

"Julie Bove" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:hit2m5$le9$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...

> "Jeff Strickland" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:hisu2a$avo$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...
>>
>> "Julie Bove" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:hir0od$tlu$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...
>>>
>>> "Jeff Strickland" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:hiq8b1$hsk$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...

>>> Thanks! No digital cam and no interest in one. We were just trying to
>>> find a way she could do her homework on there and print it if necessary.
>>>

>> The external drive is useful for loads of uses, if you have 70-ish
>> dollars you can get a very good one that will take a very long time to
>> fill.
>>
>> I'm not sure your kid will need a drive to save her documents and
>> spreadsheets to just to carry them to another computer in your house to
>> print, a flashdrive would do this task exactly the same way and cost less
>> to do it. Odds are good that you arleady have a few of these laying
>> around that you can donate to her.

> I don't even know what a spreadsheet is and I don't think she works with
> them. She's only in the 6th grade. I do not have any flashdrives laying
> around. I had one and got rid of it, not knowing what to do with it.

Well, your kid isn't likely to be hauling spreadsheets around the
schoolyard, that's true.

QUICK LESSON
A spreadsheet has rows and columns of information, the uppermost row is 1
and the left most column is A, so the data is arranged in cells, a cell is
where the rows and columns intersect -- the 5th colimn over and the 6th row
down would be designated as E6.

You can create an address list in a spreadsheet. You would name the columns,
FIRSTNAME, LASTNAME, STREET, CITY, STATE, ZIP. Then you would enter your
data in the rows going across. You could sort the data by any of the column
headings.

In any case, you can buy a few flash drives (also known as thumb drive) in
any of several capacities -- typically measured in gigabytes, 2, 4, 8, 16,
and so on -- where your selection is primarily price driven at this
juncture. You simply plug the device into the USB port and direct File Save
or File Save As commands to the device. Using these kinds of devices is far
easier if you know how to use the Windows Explorer. This is a basic
operation of Windows that everybody ought to be familiar with, but sadly far
too many people have no clue.

>> The Netbook has a wireless adaptor already built in that is used to get
>> into your wireless router -- if you have fiber optic service, high speed
>> cable, or some other form of feed, yoiu probably have a wireless router
>> already -- then she can see the printers in your house and print
>> directly to them.

> We have a wireless router but we don't have a wireless printer.

You don't need a wireless printer. Let's say the printer is connected to the
computer in the den. You would create a WORKGROUP named LOONY TUNES, then
name the computers on your system TWEETY, SYLVESTER, WILEY, and ROADRUNNER.
Each of these machines might have a printer connected to it, as the
workgroup is being established, you select a checkbox, SHARE PRINTER and
another one SHARE FOLDERS. In Windows Explorer, you will find folders PUBLIC
DOCUMENTS and PUBLIC PHOTOS (or folder names to that effect). These are the
folders that will be shared by default. Any files stored in these folders
will be accessable to the other machines in the workgroup. Any printers
connected to these machines will also be accessable to the other machines in
the workgroup.

All of this stuff will be accessable via the wireless router, assuming you
have the wireless accessories needed for the wireless connection. If you
have a machine that is hardwired to the router -- you ought to have at least
one -- then that machine is also accessable by the wireless machines via the
wireless router. The wireless router has at least one wired connection, and
could have up to 4 (typically).

>> It is an easy task to establish a Workgroup at home, then you can share
>> the resources you have among the population of computers. With a
>> workgroup, the computer in the den is visible to the computer in the
>> family room, and the netbook in your kid's room. and the computer in the
>> office, and so on. When you are setting up the workgroup, you tell the
>> Wizard that you want to share files and printers, and then the folders
>> and printers on each machine are visible to the other machines in the
>> group. When your kid clicks File Print, she simply navigates the dropdown
>> list to the printer she wants to use and clicks OK, then plods downstairs
>> in her bunnyslippers to the den and gets her print job. If you have a
>> machine with a fancy photo printer, and another machine with a simple
>> black-only laser printer, then she will want the laser printer for
>> reports, and save the photo ink for the homemade birthday card she wants
>> to send to Grandma.

> No, we don't have that kind of printer and I'm not going to get one.
>
> So are you telling me we can't use the USB drive to print something?

No, I did not say that at all. You certainly can use the USB drive to
transport a file from your daughter's machine to the machine that has the
printer attached. Absolutely you can do that.

Let's say your kid puts together a report on Abe Lincoln -- a topic that is
likely to be on the curiculum of a 6th grader -- using Microsoft Word. She
saves her work locally on her own machine as she goes along. When she gets
all done and saves for the last time, File>Save, then she would plug in the
flashdrive and select File>Save As and direct the save operation to the
appropriate drive letter.

She would then walk downstairs to the den and plug the flashdrive in and
start Microsoft Word, and select File>Open, and navigate to the flashdrive
and select the target file and click OK. Then she could select File>Print.