Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > question about Canon focus points on viewfinder

question about Canon focus points on viewfinder

Mike Eisenstadt

Hi,

I have been doing art documentation in 35mm slide film and I want to
upgrade to digital AS INEXPENSIVELY AS POSSIBLE. I already own a Canon
EOS 50mm macro lens which would argue for getting a Canon 10D or the
like. But art photography really requires having a grid in the
viewfinder to keep from keystoning rectangular paintings. The Nikon
D70s has the option of enabling an on-demand grid in the viewfinder,
although I could not find this option in the manual for the Nikon D40
or D60. The Canon 10D manual does not seem to offer on-demand gridding
the viewfinder, however it describes an option of illuminating the 7
automatic focusing points in the viewfinder. Their arrangement is
similar to a cross-hair grid, according to the illustration in the
manual.

I am writing to ask Canon owners if illuminating the focusing points
is feasible as a substitute for
the Nikon option of an on-demand grid in the viewfinder. I know that
after market focusing screens for Canon cameras with different grid
options are available, but they seem very pricey.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Michael Eisenstadt
Austin Texas

ransley

On Jan 14, 11:50*am, Mike Eisenstadt <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have been doing art documentation in 35mm slide film and I want to
> upgrade to digital AS INEXPENSIVELY AS POSSIBLE. I already own a Canon
> EOS 50mm macro lens which would argue for getting a Canon 10D or the
> like. But art photography really requires having a grid in the
> viewfinder to keep from keystoning rectangular paintings. The Nikon
> D70s has the option of enabling an on-demand grid in the viewfinder,
> although I could not find this option in the manual for the Nikon D40
> or D60. The Canon 10D manual does not seem to offer on-demand gridding
> the viewfinder, however it describes an option of illuminating the 7
> automatic focusing points in the viewfinder. Their arrangement is
> similar to a cross-hair grid, according to the illustration in the
> manual.
>
> I am writing to ask Canon owners if illuminating the focusing points
> is feasible as a substitute for
> the Nikon option of an on-demand grid in the viewfinder. I know that
> after market focusing screens for Canon cameras with different grid
> options are available, but they seem very pricey.
>
> Thanks in advance for your help.
>
> Michael Eisenstadt
> Austin Texas

My T1i has a grid and I bet alot of other models do

Mike Eisenstadt

On Jan 14, 2:35*pm, ransley <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Jan 14, 11:50*am, Mike Eisenstadt <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

> > Hi,

> > I have been doing art documentation in 35mm slide film and I want to
> > upgrade to digital AS INEXPENSIVELY AS POSSIBLE. I already own a Canon
> > EOS 50mm macro lens which would argue for getting a Canon 10D or the
> > like. But art photography really requires having a grid in the
> > viewfinder to keep from keystoning rectangular paintings. The Nikon
> > D70s has the option of enabling an on-demand grid in the viewfinder,
> > although I could not find this option in the manual for the Nikon D40
> > or D60. The Canon 10D manual does not seem to offer on-demand gridding
> > the viewfinder, however it describes an option of illuminating the 7
> > automatic focusing points in the viewfinder. Their arrangement is
> > similar to a cross-hair grid, according to the illustration in the
> > manual.

> > I am writing to ask Canon owners if illuminating the focusing points
> > is feasible as a substitute for
> > the Nikon option of an on-demand grid in the viewfinder. I know that
> > after market focusing screens for Canon cameras with different grid
> > options are available, but they seem very pricey.

> > Thanks in advance for your help.

> > Michael Eisenstadt
> > Austin Texas

> My T1i has a grid and I bet alot of other models do

I believe I mentioned that I want to upgrade inexpensively. The T1i
model you mention costs more than I am prepared to pay. As I do not
have access to a Canon digital SLR, I wrote because I was wondering if
the automatic focus points when illuminated might serve as a cross-
hair grid. If so, I would look for one of the less expensive Canon
SLRs used on EBay seeing as I already have a Canon EOS 50mm macro.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Michael Eisenstadt
Austin Texas

Michael Eisenstadt

Nervous Nick

On Jan 14, 11:50*am, Mike Eisenstadt <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have been doing art documentation in 35mm slide film and I want to
> upgrade to digital AS INEXPENSIVELY AS POSSIBLE. I already own a Canon
> EOS 50mm macro lens which would argue for getting a Canon 10D or the
> like. But art photography really requires having a grid in the
> viewfinder to keep from keystoning rectangular paintings. The Nikon
> D70s has the option of enabling an on-demand grid in the viewfinder,
> although I could not find this option in the manual for the Nikon D40
> or D60. The Canon 10D manual does not seem to offer on-demand gridding
> the viewfinder, however it describes an option of illuminating the 7
> automatic focusing points in the viewfinder. Their arrangement is
> similar to a cross-hair grid, according to the illustration in the
> manual.
>
> I am writing to ask Canon owners if illuminating the focusing points
> is feasible as a substitute for
> the Nikon option of an on-demand grid in the viewfinder. I know that
> after market focusing screens for Canon cameras with different grid
> options are available, but they seem very pricey.

You might not need a grid at all if you try this ridiculously simple
method of aligninment:

Set a mirror down on your copy stand (or on the artwork itself, if you
can) and adjust the camera so that the reflection of its lens in the
mirror is exactly centered in the viewfinder. If your camera is not
seriously out of whack, your film or sensor plane will then be just
about as close to exactly parallel to the plane of the copy stand or
the artwork as you can get it.

I have copied thousands of pieces of flat artwork using this method
(with 35mm film cameras) and it has never failed me.

And since you are going digital, any minimal perspective imperfections
are easily rectified with software.

It cannot hurt to try.

--
YOP...

Ofnuts

On 14/01/2010 23:09, Mike Eisenstadt wrote:

> I believe I mentioned that I want to upgrade inexpensively. The T1i
> model you mention costs more than I am prepared to pay. As I do not
> have access to a Canon digital SLR, I wrote because I was wondering if
> the automatic focus points when illuminated might serve as a cross-
> hair grid. If so, I would look for one of the less expensive Canon
> SLRs used on EBay seeing as I already have a Canon EOS 50mm macro.

On my 450D the focus points appear in the viewfinder as small squares
which I routinely use to make sure the camera is level by aligning them
on a vertical/horizontal line of the scene. I don't even need to
illuminate them.

--
Bertrand

Ofnuts

On 15/01/2010 00:38, Nervous Nick wrote:

> And since you are going digital, any minimal perspective imperfections
> are easily rectified with software.

This may however require a bit more pixels than the 6Mpix of the 10D.

--
Bertrand

Chris Malcolm

Mike Eisenstadt <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I have been doing art documentation in 35mm slide film and I want to
> upgrade to digital AS INEXPENSIVELY AS POSSIBLE. I already own a Canon
> EOS 50mm macro lens which would argue for getting a Canon 10D or the
> like. But art photography really requires having a grid in the
> viewfinder to keep from keystoning rectangular paintings. The Nikon
> D70s has the option of enabling an on-demand grid in the viewfinder,
> although I could not find this option in the manual for the Nikon D40
> or D60. The Canon 10D manual does not seem to offer on-demand gridding
> the viewfinder, however it describes an option of illuminating the 7
> automatic focusing points in the viewfinder. Their arrangement is
> similar to a cross-hair grid, according to the illustration in the
> manual.

> I am writing to ask Canon owners if illuminating the focusing points
> is feasible as a substitute for
> the Nikon option of an on-demand grid in the viewfinder. I know that
> after market focusing screens for Canon cameras with different grid
> options are available, but they seem very pricey.

The cheapest way of getting a grid would probably be either to buy a
shade for your camera's LCD, and build a fine wire grid into it. Or
with a fine mapping pen and appropriate ink draw fine lines on a
plastic LCD screen protector.

--
Chris Malcolm

Chris Malcolm

Ofnuts <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On 15/01/2010 00:38, Nervous Nick wrote:

>> And since you are going digital, any minimal perspective imperfections
>> are easily rectified with software.

> This may however require a bit more pixels than the 6Mpix of the 10D.

Small perspective and tilting adjustments can these days with good
software be done with very little impact on the detail resolution
(i.e. hard to notice any loss), and being small corrections, there is
very little loss of pixels in the bits of edge which get cropped off.

The losses of software corrections have quite understandably been
exaggerated by the people in camera shops who hope to persuade you to
buy a lens which won't need to be corrected, plus all those people who
bought one

--
Chris Malcolm

David J Taylor

"ransley" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
[]
> My T1i has a grid and I bet alot of other models do

Yes, the Nikon D5000 does as well.

David

ransley

On Jan 14, 4:09*pm, Mike Eisenstadt <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Jan 14, 2:35*pm, ransley <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

> > On Jan 14, 11:50*am, Mike Eisenstadt <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> > > Hi,

> > > I have been doing art documentation in 35mm slide film and I want to
> > > upgrade to digital AS INEXPENSIVELY AS POSSIBLE. I already own a Canon
> > > EOS 50mm macro lens which would argue for getting a Canon 10D or the
> > > like. But art photography really requires having a grid in the
> > > viewfinder to keep from keystoning rectangular paintings. The Nikon
> > > D70s has the option of enabling an on-demand grid in the viewfinder,
> > > although I could not find this option in the manual for the Nikon D40
> > > or D60. The Canon 10D manual does not seem to offer on-demand gridding
> > > the viewfinder, however it describes an option of illuminating the 7
> > > automatic focusing points in the viewfinder. Their arrangement is
> > > similar to a cross-hair grid, according to the illustration in the
> > > manual.

> > > I am writing to ask Canon owners if illuminating the focusing points
> > > is feasible as a substitute for
> > > the Nikon option of an on-demand grid in the viewfinder. I know that
> > > after market focusing screens for Canon cameras with different grid
> > > options are available, but they seem very pricey.

> > > Thanks in advance for your help.

> > > Michael Eisenstadt
> > > Austin Texas

> > My T1i has a grid and I bet alot of other models do

> I believe I mentioned that I want to upgrade inexpensively. The T1i
> model you mention costs more than I am prepared to pay. As I do not
> have access to a Canon digital SLR, I wrote because I was wondering if
> the automatic focus points *when illuminated might serve as a cross-
> hair grid. If so, I would look for one of the less expensive Canon
> SLRs used on EBay seeing as I already have a Canon EOS 50mm macro.
>
> Thanks in advance for your help.
>
> Michael Eisenstadt
> Austin Texas
>
> Michael Eisenstadt- Hide quoted text -

I believe I mentioned "other models do" actualy maybe all of them, I
just looked at the 1000d, it has grid. Forget the auto focus points as
they are momentary , dpreview will show you displays of canon dslrs,
or google it works.