Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > How to keep IE from timing out on long operation

Reply
Thread Tools

How to keep IE from timing out on long operation

 
 
Matt Houser
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-14-2010
It seems that IE8 is less forgiving for long operations than previous
versions. 10 seconds and it abandons the connection.

Is there a way I can have my aspx file inform IE about how long to wait, or
to give it some indication that data is coming during a long operation (like
a long SQL query).

Thanks,
....Matt

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Scott M.
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-14-2010

"Matt Houser" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> It seems that IE8 is less forgiving for long operations than previous
> versions. 10 seconds and it abandons the connection.


This doesn't happen with IE8 for me. Usually, it's the server that informs
the client that something has timed out.

> Is there a way I can have my aspx file inform IE about how long to wait,
> or to give it some indication that data is coming during a long operation
> (like a long SQL query).


Have you tried extending the connection timeout on your SQL connection?

-Scott


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Matt Houser
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-14-2010
"Scott M." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
> "Matt Houser" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> It seems that IE8 is less forgiving for long operations than previous
>> versions. 10 seconds and it abandons the connection.

>
> This doesn't happen with IE8 for me. Usually, it's the server that
> informs the client that something has timed out.


IE8 always bombs after 10 seconds. I've had it consistently happen on all
websites (not just my dev sites) on 2 computers (one vista, one w7). 10
seconds seems to be the magic number.

>> Is there a way I can have my aspx file inform IE about how long to wait,
>> or to give it some indication that data is coming during a long operation
>> (like a long SQL query).

>
> Have you tried extending the connection timeout on your SQL connection?


The SQL connection is not the issue. My code keeps working and the aspx
code completes. IE just isn't around anymore to receive the data.

....Matt


 
Reply With Quote
 
Scott M.
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-14-2010

"Matt Houser" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> "Scott M." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message


> IE8 always bombs after 10 seconds. I've had it consistently happen on all
> websites (not just my dev sites) on 2 computers (one vista, one w7). 10
> seconds seems to be the magic number.


Ok, well, it must be a system issue then because I'm telling you that my IE8
doesn't have that 10 issue. When I encounter sites with errors or sites
that take longer to connect to, my IE8 will try for upwards of 30 seconds or
so before bombing out.

-Scott


 
Reply With Quote
 
Andrew Morton
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-15-2010
Matt Houser wrote:
> "Scott M." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>> "Matt Houser" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> It seems that IE8 is less forgiving for long operations than
>>> previous versions. 10 seconds and it abandons the connection.

>>
>> This doesn't happen with IE8 for me. Usually, it's the server that
>> informs the client that something has timed out.

>
> IE8 always bombs after 10 seconds. I've had it consistently happen
> on all websites (not just my dev sites) on 2 computers (one vista,
> one w7). 10 seconds seems to be the magic number.


The default timeout for IE8 is 60 minutes; how to change it:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/181050

Or is there some other network device (e.g. a firewall) between your
computers and the Internet which could be timing out?

Andrew


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Re: How include a large array? Edward A. Falk C Programming 1 04-04-2013 08:07 PM
Having compilation error: no match for call to (const __gnu_cxx::hash<long long int>) (const long long int&) veryhotsausage C++ 1 07-04-2008 05:41 PM
help: why some fave sites keep timing out? acorbin General Computer Support 0 05-19-2007 11:34 PM
Keep getting Operation Timed Out in Firefox.. P$YCH0 78 Computer Support 3 01-02-2005 08:39 AM
How long do Session variables last before timing out? Mark ASP .Net 1 07-08-2003 03:18 PM



Advertisments