Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > password protecting a folder

password protecting a folder

Doug Miller

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, richard <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>On Wed, 13 Jan 2010 22:45:36 -0500, don wrote:
>
>> I have a folder in my public html folder which I would like to password
>> protect so that only certain people would be able to open this link.
>>
>> How would I do this.......... my website is on a Unix hosting
>> account........... www.mywebsite.com/privateFolder
>>
>> Thanks.........

>ask your host if you can do that or not.
>you would need a script for that either in javascript or php.

What a load. How can javascript -- running on the CLIENT -- secure ANYTHING
that's stored on the SERVER??

And no, you don't need a script of any sort to secure a folder or directory. A
htaccess file does the job just fine. Perhaps you'd care to explain how you'd
go about using a PHP script to password-protect a directory. Better yet, *show
us*. Create a directory on your web host and "password protect" it with the
PHP script of your choice. Post the URL of that directory here and see how
long it takes for one of us to post a list of its contents.

>if you have php then you could set up a sql database and use that.

More utter nonsense.
1) There is simply *no way* in which an SQL database can password-protect a
directory.
2) SQL does not require PHP.

richard

On Thu, 14 Jan 2010 12:21:17 -0500, Ed Mullen wrote:

> don wrote:
>> I have a folder in my public html folder which I would like to password
>> protect so that only certain people would be able to open this link.
>>
>> How would I do this.......... my website is on a Unix hosting
>> account........... www.mywebsite.com/privateFolder
>>
>> Thanks.........
>>

> In addition to the other comments, your Web host most likely has a
> Web-based Control Panel (usually in the Administration section once you
> are logged onto your account) where you can do this quite easily.

But usually only for your use. Not for the general public.

dorayme

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
richard <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

I think it has worked, Dick! The plan to seed a little conversation into
this usenet group after so much unbearable silence? Remember? You
know... where you make a play with the ball, any kind of play, nothing
fancy needed, and the whole of the rest of the rugby team pile in... <g>

--
dorayme

rf

news:1u65sxnc7ghhj$.dp47nwp6y1p2$(E-Mail Removed).. .
> On Thu, 14 Jan 2010 12:21:17 -0500, Ed Mullen wrote:
>
>> don wrote:
>>> I have a folder in my public html folder which I would like to password
>>> protect so that only certain people would be able to open this link.
>>>
>>> How would I do this.......... my website is on a Unix hosting
>>> account........... www.mywebsite.com/privateFolder
>>>
>>> Thanks.........
>>>

>> In addition to the other comments, your Web host most likely has a
>> Web-based Control Panel (usually in the Administration section once you
>> are logged onto your account) where you can do this quite easily.

> But usually only for your use. Not for the general public.

And just who is going to be password protecting this folder? The OP or the
general public?

My money is on the OP.

freemont

On Thu, 14 Jan 2010 13:53:04 +0000, Doug Miller writ:

> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, richard
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>ask your host if you can do that or not. you would need a script for
>>that either in javascript or php.

> What a load. How can javascript -- running on the CLIENT -- secure
> ANYTHING that's stored on the SERVER??
>
> And no, you don't need a script of any sort to secure a folder or
> directory. A htaccess file does the job just fine. Perhaps you'd care to

You're telling this to a guy who thinks that you need a script to view
metadata within a photo file.

--
"Because all you of Earth are idiots!"
¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·-> freemont© <-·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯

cwdjrxyz

On Jan 13, 9:45*pm, "don" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I have a folder in my public html folder which I would like to password
> protect so that only certain people would be able to open this link.
>
> How would I do this.......... my website is on a Unix hosting
> account...........www.mywebsite.com/privateFolder

You have had many replys that are useful. There is another method that
should work on any server. You can create an encrypted self-extracting
zip file of a file or whole directory containing many files. You then
upload this encrypted zip file to your server. When one goes to the
url, you are offered to download it. If you select to download it, you
then double click on the encrypted file. A screen comes up asking for
a password. If you give the proper password, and enter, the zip file
is automatically extracted to give the file or directory containing
several files that you protected. Since the protected zip file is an
application with extension .exe, that alone will scare many away who
do not know you. If they insist on downloading anyway they are very
unlikely to be able to open the file if you use a very long password
containing upper and lower case letters and numbers. That is easy
enough to produce with a random password generator.

For an example, go to http://www.cwdjr.net/Aup/fan_dance.exe . The
password is althtml . Since this an .exe file, I suggest that anyone
who does not know me not try to open it since opening unknown
applications from groups can be a dangerous habit.

dorayme

In article
<(E-Mail Removed)>,
cwdjrxyz <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> For an example, go to http://www.cwdjr.net/Aup/fan_dance.exe . The
> password is althtml . Since this an .exe file, I suggest that anyone
> who does not know me not try to open it since opening unknown
> applications from groups can be a dangerous habit.

I would suggest that it is ok for them to open it in this case even
though they don't know you. <g>

--
dorayme

rf

cwdjrxyz wrote:
> On Jan 13, 9:45 pm, "don" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> I have a folder in my public html folder which I would like to
>> password protect so that only certain people would be able to open
>> this link.
>>
>> How would I do this.......... my website is on a Unix hosting
>> account...........www.mywebsite.com/privateFolder

> You have had many replys that are useful. There is another method that
> should work on any server. You can create an encrypted self-extracting
> zip file of a file or whole directory containing many files. You then
> upload this encrypted zip file to your server. When one goes to the
> url, you are offered to download it. If you select to download it, you
> then double click on the encrypted file. A screen comes up asking for
> a password. If you give the proper password, and enter, the zip file
> is automatically extracted to give the file or directory containing
> several files that you protected. Since the protected zip file is an
> application with extension .exe, that alone will scare many away who
> do not know you. If they insist on downloading anyway they are very
> unlikely to be able to open the file if you use a very long password
> containing upper and lower case letters and numbers. That is easy
> enough to produce with a random password generator.

I suggest that you do not offer any further advice on password protecting
folders.

> For an example, go to http://www.cwdjr.net/Aup/fan_dance.exe . The
> password is althtml . Since this an .exe file, I suggest that anyone
> who does not know me not try to open it since opening unknown
> applications from groups can be a dangerous habit.

My browser offers me the *ONLY* option of downloading this file.

How is this an answer to merely requesting a password before viewing, in a
browser, the contents of some folder?

rf

freemont wrote:
> On Thu, 14 Jan 2010 13:53:04 +0000, Doug Miller writ:
>
>> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, richard
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>> ask your host if you can do that or not. you would need a script for
>>> that either in javascript or php.

>> What a load. How can javascript -- running on the CLIENT -- secure
>> ANYTHING that's stored on the SERVER??
>>
>> And no, you don't need a script of any sort to secure a folder or
>> directory. A htaccess file does the job just fine. Perhaps you'd
>> care to

> You're telling this to a guy who thinks that you need a script to view
> metadata within a photo file.

And this is where RtS, having been proven wrong, disappears from the thread.

Doug Miller

In article <V0Y3n.1479$(E-Mail Removed)>, "rf" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>And this is where RtS, having been proven wrong, disappears from the thread.

Question: I'm still fairly new here. I've seen a number of people refer to him
as RtS; apparently the R stands for his name, Richard -- what about tS?

I have a few speculations... but I think I'd prefer to keep them to myself
just now...