Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > windows 7, 64bits cannot see a folder

windows 7, 64bits cannot see a folder

§Chrissi§

Hi,

I have a folder on a usb drive created in windows xp. It is called winzip9.
The icon is dimmed with light yellow color. I can use it on windows xp pc.
But I can't see it with windows 7 - 64 bits pc.

1. What does the dimmed, light yellow color mean?

2. How can I see it on the windows 7 - 64 bits pc?

Thank a lot.

Chris.

§Chrissi§

Thanks. The hidden box is checked and is dimmed. I cannot uncheck it in
xp.
Can you help me?

"David B." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Sounds like it's hidden attribute is set, in XP right click the folder and
> select properties, uncheck hidden.

> "§Chrissi§" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have a folder on a usb drive created in windows xp. It is called
>> winzip9. The icon is dimmed with light yellow color. I can use it on
>> windows xp pc. But I can't see it with windows 7 - 64 bits pc.
>>
>> 1. What does the dimmed, light yellow color mean?
>>
>> 2. How can I see it on the windows 7 - 64 bits pc?
>>
>> Thank a lot.
>>
>> Chris.

Carlos

Hi,
You need to take ownership of the folder. Only then you will be able to
uncheck the hidden box.
I'm at an XP machine right now so I can't walk you through the menues.
It starts by right clicking the folder icon, choose Properties, Security tab.
Press the button in the lower part. This will take you to the ownership part.
And this is as far as my memory can go.
Carlos

"§Chrissi§" wrote:

> Thanks. The hidden box is checked and is dimmed. I cannot uncheck it in
> xp.
> Can you help me?
>

> "David B." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Sounds like it's hidden attribute is set, in XP right click the folder and
> > select properties, uncheck hidden.
> >
> > --
> >

> > --
> > "§Chrissi§" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> I have a folder on a usb drive created in windows xp. It is called
> >> winzip9. The icon is dimmed with light yellow color. I can use it on
> >> windows xp pc. But I can't see it with windows 7 - 64 bits pc.
> >>
> >> 1. What does the dimmed, light yellow color mean?
> >>
> >> 2. How can I see it on the windows 7 - 64 bits pc?
> >>
> >> Thank a lot.
> >>
> >> Chris.
> >>

> .

Carlos

Ok, back at home, Win 7 x64!
The button in the lower part is "Advanced Options".
Now click on the Owner tab and choose Edit. Click on your name and Accept as
many times as necessary to take you back to Windows Explorer.
Right click on the problematic folder and see if you can now change its
properties.
Carlos

"Carlos" wrote:

> Hi,
> You need to take ownership of the folder. Only then you will be able to
> uncheck the hidden box.
> I'm at an XP machine right now so I can't walk you through the menues.
> It starts by right clicking the folder icon, choose Properties, Security tab.
> Press the button in the lower part. This will take you to the ownership part.
> And this is as far as my memory can go.
> Carlos
>
> "§Chrissi§" wrote:
>
> > Thanks. The hidden box is checked and is dimmed. I cannot uncheck it in
> > xp.
> > Can you help me?
> >

> > "David B." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > Sounds like it's hidden attribute is set, in XP right click the folder and
> > > select properties, uncheck hidden.
> > >
> > > --
> > >

> > > --
> > > "§Chrissi§" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > > news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> > .

Juergen Kluth

I had the same effect days ago,

there must be some different mechanism,
windows 7 mounts external (usb) drives (written by differen
apps/different security desriptors).

i guess Carlos commenzs work

but it seems to me
the mechanism are to keep in mind