Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > recommend wireless N router?

recommend wireless N router?

james

What's a good inexpensive reliable wireless N router?

There are many draft N routers on the market. I want a real wireless N
router.

Preferably one that also works on 5Ghz. But they are probably costly.

I wonder if it's better to buy an average wireless G router now (they're
cheap), then buy a wirelss N router in a year or two when all the "draft N"
router has disappeared and the price of real wireless N router has come
down.

Jack [MVP-Networking]

Hi
At the moment, my philosophy for regular use, I get the Buffalo WHR-HP-54G
which is the top of the 802.11G devices.
The only use of a Draft_N is close range HD video streaming, when for some
good reason it must be done through Wireless.
Otherwise, in most all cases there is No real need of it.
Might be that in the middle of the year when the old N stuff be gone and new
devices will come out it would be a different picture.
Jack (MS, MVP-Networking).

"james" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> What's a good inexpensive reliable wireless N router?
>
> There are many draft N routers on the market. I want a real wireless N
> router.
>
> Preferably one that also works on 5Ghz. But they are probably costly.
>
> I wonder if it's better to buy an average wireless G router now (they're
> cheap), then buy a wirelss N router in a year or two when all the "draft
> N" router has disappeared and the price of real wireless N router has come
> down.

seaweedsl

On Jan 13, 1:46*pm, "Jack [MVP-Networking]" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:
> Hi
> At the moment, my philosophy for regular use, I get the Buffalo WHR-HP-54G
> which is the top of the 802.11G devices.
> The only use of a Draft_N is close range HD video streaming, when for some
> good reason it must be done through Wireless.
> Otherwise, in most all cases there is No real need of it.

I'll second that. Exactly. An acceptable alternative (not as
good) is the old standby Linksys WRT54GL (L is the only version of
this onerecommended).

I have also heard that the Linksys dual band (no model number, sorry)
N router is one of the better ones.

Steve

smlunatick

On Jan 13, 4:21*pm, "james" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> What's a good inexpensive reliable wireless N router?
>
> There are many draft N routers on the market. I want a real wireless N
> router.
>
> Preferably one that also works on 5Ghz. But they are probably costly.
>
> I wonder if it's better to buy an average wireless G router now (they're
> cheap), then buy a wirelss N router in a year or two when all the "draft N"
> router has disappeared and the price of real wireless N router has come
> down.

When I first read the Wireless N protocol was made official, I believe
I did read that most "Draft 2.0" hardware was to be considered as the
"defacto" official Wireless N hardware.

As for the proper hardware, so far the "soho" level of Wireless N
products from but Linksys and D-Link are "problematic." The quality,
reliability and "inter-operatability" are questionable. Some products
do not work well and several different batches "fail."

Look at Netgear products.