Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Win XP Pro 64/32 install, same disc?

Win XP Pro 64/32 install, same disc?

M.V.

A friend recently built a computer for me and installed Win XP Pro 64-bit on
it. I've been thinking about setting up a dual-boot to also have XP 32-bit,
so I'm wondering if the 64-bit Pro disc might also be able to install the
32-bit version? Or do I need a separate install disc?

I have a spare XP Home 32-bit I could use, but I'd love to make use of a Pro
version.

I've tried searching for more information on this, but I kept going around
in circles and finding things that don't quite answer this. And I think I've
read that Windows 7 (and Vista?) install discs can install the 64-bit or
32-bit version as desired.

Dominic Payer

The x64 XP Pro cannot install 32-bit XP. It is only 64-bit.

You will have to use your XP Home.

Windows 7 and Vista have separate 32 and 64 bit installation disks. It
is usually possible to use the same product key for both 32 and 64 bit
versions.

On 13/01/2010 11:33, M.V. wrote:
> A friend recently built a computer for me and installed Win XP Pro 64-bit on
> it. I've been thinking about setting up a dual-boot to also have XP 32-bit,
> so I'm wondering if the 64-bit Pro disc might also be able to install the
> 32-bit version? Or do I need a separate install disc?
>
> I have a spare XP Home 32-bit I could use, but I'd love to make use of a Pro
> version.
>
> I've tried searching for more information on this, but I kept going around
> in circles and finding things that don't quite answer this. And I think I've
> read that Windows 7 (and Vista?) install discs can install the 64-bit or
> 32-bit version as desired.

Richard Urban

If you want to run the 32 bit and 64 bit version of ANY Microsoft operating
system you need a valid - and separate - license/KEY for each operating
system.

Try using the same key and you will find one, or the other, showing up as
not a valid license.

--

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP

"Dominic Payer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> The x64 XP Pro cannot install 32-bit XP. It is only 64-bit.
>
> You will have to use your XP Home.
>
> Windows 7 and Vista have separate 32 and 64 bit installation disks. It is
> usually possible to use the same product key for both 32 and 64 bit
> versions.
>

> On 13/01/2010 11:33, M.V. wrote:
>> A friend recently built a computer for me and installed Win XP Pro 64-bit
>> on
>> it. I've been thinking about setting up a dual-boot to also have XP
>> 32-bit,
>> so I'm wondering if the 64-bit Pro disc might also be able to install the
>> 32-bit version? Or do I need a separate install disc?
>>
>> I have a spare XP Home 32-bit I could use, but I'd love to make use of a
>> Pro
>> version.
>>
>> I've tried searching for more information on this, but I kept going
>> around
>> in circles and finding things that don't quite answer this. And I think
>> I've
>> read that Windows 7 (and Vista?) install discs can install the 64-bit or
>> 32-bit version as desired.

M.V.

Thanks, that covered it!

I figured it would at best be a case of being able to use the license/key
for one or the other, but not both at the same time. The more I'd thought
about this today the more I was hoping it might be a case where I could
remove the 64-bit for now and just use a 32-bit install from it.

So I'll just wipe the 64-bit Pro, dig out my other 32-bit Home to install,
then add the 64-bit later onto another partition when I'm ready to work with
it again.

I don't technically need the extra functionality from the 64-bit OS, it's
just what my friend got me to put into the system.