Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C Programming > link to standard

Reply
Thread Tools

link to standard

 
 
Richard McBeef
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-12-2010
Yes, I have googled this but have found many
different sites.
When you people cite the standard which
website specifically are you referencing?
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Stefan Ram
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-12-2010
Richard McBeef <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>When you people cite the standard which
>website specifically are you referencing?


ISO/IEC 9899:1999 (E)

This is not a website.

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Richard McBeef
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-12-2010
Lowell Gilbert wrote:
> Richard McBeef <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>
>> Yes, I have googled this but have found many
>> different sites.
>> When you people cite the standard which
>> website specifically are you referencing?

>
> http://www.c-faq.com/ansi/avail.html

I guess nobody updates that faq.
The information there is very wrong.
The site linked to sells copies of the standard
for about $350.
http://webstore.ansi.org/RecordDetai...EC%209899:1999
Where did you people get your copy?
 
Reply With Quote
 
Richard McBeef
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-12-2010
Richard McBeef wrote:
> Lowell Gilbert wrote:
>> Richard McBeef <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>>
>>> Yes, I have googled this but have found many
>>> different sites.
>>> When you people cite the standard which
>>> website specifically are you referencing?

>>
>> http://www.c-faq.com/ansi/avail.html

> I guess nobody updates that faq.
> The information there is very wrong.
> The site linked to sells copies of the standard
> for about $350.
> http://webstore.ansi.org/RecordDetai...EC%209899:1999
> Where did you people get your copy?

Wait...using "ISO/IEC 9899:1999" as the search
term yields a free copy
http://www.nirvani.net.nyud.net:8090/docs/ansi_c.pdf
You guys need to update your faq to
include free sources. Also, correct the price
information to reflect the current absurd
charges.
TIA
 
Reply With Quote
 
Keith Thompson
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-12-2010
Richard McBeef <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
> Yes, I have googled this but have found many
> different sites.
> When you people cite the standard which
> website specifically are you referencing?


The C90 standard is very difficult to find these days. I bought a
(rather low-quality) PDF copy for $18 from ANSI some years ago,
but they're no longer selling it. If you can find a used copy of
Schildt's book "The Annotated ANSI C Standard", it contains the C90
standard on the left-hand pages. The right-hand pages have Schildt's
very bad annotations; see <http://www.lysator.liu.se/c/schildt.html>.

Apparently you can still get PDF copies of the C90 standard and C95
amendment at
<http://infostore.saiglobal.com/store/Details.aspx?DocN=stds000005269>
($181.5 and
<http://infostore.saiglobal.com/store/Details.aspx?DocN=isoc000767513>
($84.50); I wouldn't pay that much myself.

<http://flash-gordon.me.uk/ansi.c.txt> is a plain-text copy of an
unofficial pre-C90 draft. It probably differs in some minor ways
from the C90 standard itself. Also, being plain text, it loses
some formatting information and special symbols.

<http://cbfalconer.home.att.net/download/n869_txt.bz2> is a
bzip2-compressed plain-text copy of a pre-C99 draft. It suffers
from the same drawbacks as "ansi.c.txt" above. I don't recommend
it unless you really need plain text rather than PDF.

The C99 standard is available from the ANSI store or from your
national standard body in PDF format. I paid $18 for my copy,
but I think it's gone up a bit. There have been three Technical
Corrigenda since then, available at no change from ANSI.

<http://www.open-std.org/jtc1/sc22/wg14/www/docs/n1256.pdf> is
a post-C99 draft, consisting of the C99 standard with the three
Technical Corrigenda merged into it and marked with change bars.
It's not *quite* official, but it's close enough for most purposes.
This is the one I use most of the time.

There are also some early drafts of the C201X standard. The latest
is <http://www.open-std.org/jtc1/sc22/wg14/www/docs/n1425.pdf>.
Do not expect any implementation to conform to these drafts for
a while.

The C standard committee's web site is
<http://www.open-std.org/jtc1/sc22/wg14/>.

--
Keith Thompson (The_Other_Keith) http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) <http://www.ghoti.net/~kst>
Nokia
"We must do something. This is something. Therefore, we must do this."
-- Antony Jay and Jonathan Lynn, "Yes Minister"
 
Reply With Quote
 
Keith Thompson
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-12-2010
Richard McBeef <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
> Richard McBeef wrote:
>> Lowell Gilbert wrote:
>>> Richard McBeef <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>>>
>>>> Yes, I have googled this but have found many
>>>> different sites.
>>>> When you people cite the standard which
>>>> website specifically are you referencing?
>>>
>>> http://www.c-faq.com/ansi/avail.html

>> I guess nobody updates that faq.
>> The information there is very wrong.
>> The site linked to sells copies of the standard
>> for about $350.
>> http://webstore.ansi.org/RecordDetai...EC%209899:1999
>> Where did you people get your copy?

> Wait...using "ISO/IEC 9899:1999" as the search
> term yields a free copy
> http://[deleted]/ansi_c.pdf
> You guys need to update your faq to
> include free sources. Also, correct the price
> information to reflect the current absurd
> charges.


ansi_c.pdf is identical to the copy of the C99 standard that I bought
from ANSI for $18 a few years ago. It was probably pirated, and I
don't believe it would be appropriate to cite it in the FAQ. (I
personally think that the standard should be freely available, but it
isn't.)

n1256.pdf is newer, free, and, for most purposes, more useful than the
actual C99 standard.

--
Keith Thompson (The_Other_Keith) (E-Mail Removed) <http://www.ghoti.net/~kst>
Nokia
"We must do something. This is something. Therefore, we must do this."
-- Antony Jay and Jonathan Lynn, "Yes Minister"
 
Reply With Quote
 
Antoninus Twink
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-12-2010
On 12 Jan 2010 at 21:14, Keith Thompson wrote:
> Richard McBeef <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>> Wait...using "ISO/IEC 9899:1999" as the search term yields a free
>> copy: http://[deleted]/ansi_c.pdf

>
> It was probably pirated, and I don't believe it would be appropriate
> to cite it in the FAQ.


Give it up, Kiki.

Information wants to be free, and you can't put the genie back in the
bottle.

 
Reply With Quote
 
Flash Gordon
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-12-2010
Richard McBeef wrote:
> Richard McBeef wrote:
>> Lowell Gilbert wrote:
>>> Richard McBeef <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>>>
>>>> Yes, I have googled this but have found many
>>>> different sites.
>>>> When you people cite the standard which
>>>> website specifically are you referencing?
>>>
>>> http://www.c-faq.com/ansi/avail.html

>> I guess nobody updates that faq.
>> The information there is very wrong.
>> The site linked to sells copies of the standard
>> for about $350.
>> http://webstore.ansi.org/RecordDetai...EC%209899:1999
>> Where did you people get your copy?


See the message by Keith. Although some people here have bought copies,
or work for companies which have bought copies. Although at least some
posters here have copies because they work on the standard committee
which produces it.

> Wait...using "ISO/IEC 9899:1999" as the search
> term yields a free copy
> http://www.nirvani.net.nyud.net:8090/docs/ansi_c.pdf


If that is what it claims to be then the person running that site is
breaching copyright.

> You guys need to update your faq to
> include free sources. Also, correct the price
> information to reflect the current absurd
> charges.
> TIA


See the post by Keith. Also, most of us here don't support or condone
breach of copyright since we earn our living in the software industry
and one day it might be our work which is stolen.
--
Flash Gordon
 
Reply With Quote
 
David Thompson
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-22-2010
On Tue, 12 Jan 2010 12:46:06 -0800, Keith Thompson <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:
<snip C90>
> <http://cbfalconer.home.att.net/download/n869_txt.bz2> is a
> bzip2-compressed plain-text copy of a pre-C99 draft. It suffers
> from the same drawbacks as "ansi.c.txt" above. I don't recommend
> it unless you really need plain text rather than PDF.
>

In particular the last public draft pre-C99 (but, AIUI, NOT the FCD).
n869.{txt,ps,pdf}.gz are available from the WG14 site you have below,
although not linked from post-Portland (1999) as they logically should
be; you must browse in $home/www/docs/ or just go directly to
http://www.open-std.org/jtc1/sc22/wg14/www/docs/n869/

> The C99 standard is available from the ANSI store or from your
> national standard body in PDF format. I paid $18 for my copy,
> but I think it's gone up a bit. There have been three Technical
> Corrigenda since then, available at no change from ANSI.
>

All the INCITS (former-X3) standards now seem to be USD30 at ANSI and
it appears they will sell to anybody at least if you can e-pay in USD.
(I remember seeing some reports of problems with other payment forms.
They may be obliged to try to prohibit the five or six or whatever it
is now US-government sanctioned countries like Iran and N. Korea.)
My understanding is that all national bodies have the _right_ to
distribute JTC1 standards, but I don't know that all actually do so.

> <http://www.open-std.org/jtc1/sc22/wg14/www/docs/n1256.pdf> is
> a post-C99 draft, consisting of the C99 standard with the three
> Technical Corrigenda merged into it and marked <snip>
> There are also some early drafts of the C201X standard. <snip>
> The C standard committee's web site is
> <http://www.open-std.org/jtc1/sc22/wg14/>.


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What are the standard network functions provided in standard C? disappearedng@gmail.com C Programming 5 06-10-2008 08:57 PM
add pexpect to the standard library, standard "install" mechanism. funkyj Python 5 01-20-2006 08:35 PM
RE: Link Link Link =?Utf-8?B?REw=?= Windows 64bit 0 05-17-2005 12:15 PM
Re: Link Link Link DANGER WILL ROBINSON!!! Kevin Spencer ASP .Net 0 05-17-2005 10:41 AM
How standard is the standard library? steve.leach Python 1 04-18-2005 04:07 PM



Advertisments