Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > MP3 Player Firmware upgrades..

MP3 Player Firmware upgrades..

Mary Hanna

The Samsung T10 had some 8 listed Updates, bug fixes and added features like
Bluetooth, ACC, ORG and FLAC support.

Here is a link to all of the Samsung Firmware Upgrades.

http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...ad.php?t=32690

So who says there is no need for Firmware upgrades..

All the better brands do it.

Sweetpea

On Tue, 12 Jan 2010 16:25:31 +1300, Mary Hanna wrote:

> The Samsung T10 had some 8 listed Updates, bug fixes and added features
> like Bluetooth, ACC, ORG and FLAC support.
>

> Here is a link to all of the Samsung Firmware Upgrades.
>
> http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...ad.php?t=32690
>

> So who says there is no need for Firmware upgrades..
>
> All the better brands do it.

There *IS* no need for firmware updates - unless the device is defective - because as an appliance it
should just work without needing to have the clueless masses trying to install new software every
month!

Imagine if you had to install a firmware patch so that your digital watch could keep working as it is
supposed to!

There would be lots of housewives wearing dead watches!

Mary Hanna

On Tue, 12 Jan 2010 07:31:27 +0000 (UTC), Sweetpea <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>On Tue, 12 Jan 2010 16:25:31 +1300, Mary Hanna wrote:
>
>> The Samsung T10 had some 8 listed Updates, bug fixes and added features
>> like Bluetooth, ACC, ORG and FLAC support.
>>

>> Here is a link to all of the Samsung Firmware Upgrades.
>>
>> http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...ad.php?t=32690
>>

>> So who says there is no need for Firmware upgrades..
>>
>> All the better brands do it.

>There *IS* no need for firmware updates - unless the device is defective - because as an appliance it
>should just work without needing to have the clueless masses trying to install new software every
>month!
>
>Imagine if you had to install a firmware patch so that your digital watch could keep working as it is
>supposed to!
>
>There would be lots of housewives wearing dead watches!

Seems that you can't read..

Cima

wrote:

>On Tue, 12 Jan 2010 16:25:31 +1300, Mary Hanna wrote:
>
>> The Samsung T10 had some 8 listed Updates, bug fixes and added features
>> like Bluetooth, ACC, ORG and FLAC support.
>>

>> Here is a link to all of the Samsung Firmware Upgrades.
>>
>> http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...ad.php?t=32690
>>

>> So who says there is no need for Firmware upgrades..
>>
>> All the better brands do it.

>There *IS* no need for firmware updates - unless the device is defective - because as an appliance it
>should just work without needing to have the clueless masses trying to install new software every
>month!

So how do you play those unsupported files without the firmware update? Buy a
new model?

Sweetpea

On Tue, 12 Jan 2010 23:02:35 +1300, Cima wrote:

> On Tue, 12 Jan 2010 07:31:27 +0000 (UTC), Sweetpea
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>On Tue, 12 Jan 2010 16:25:31 +1300, Mary Hanna wrote:
>>
>>> The Samsung T10 had some 8 listed Updates, bug fixes and added
>>> features like Bluetooth, ACC, ORG and FLAC support.
>>>

>>> Here is a link to all of the Samsung Firmware Upgrades.
>>>
>>> http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...ad.php?t=32690
>>>

>>> So who says there is no need for Firmware upgrades..
>>>
>>> All the better brands do it.

>>There *IS* no need for firmware updates - unless the device is defective
>>- because as an appliance it should just work without needing to have
>>the clueless masses trying to install new software every month!

> So how do you play those unsupported files without the firmware update?
> Buy a new model?

What unsupported files?

victor

Sweetpea wrote:
> On Tue, 12 Jan 2010 23:02:35 +1300, Cima wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 12 Jan 2010 07:31:27 +0000 (UTC), Sweetpea
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>> There *IS* no need for firmware updates - unless the device is defective
>>> - because as an appliance it should just work without needing to have
>>> the clueless masses trying to install new software every month!

>> So how do you play those unsupported files without the firmware update?
>> Buy a new model?

> What unsupported files?

AAC OGG FLAC (pre wogering)
I guess if you are happy being clueless you don't get the option and
stick with what you bought.
Firmware upgrades might fix existing annoyances but can also improve
compatibility with other devices such as bluetooth A2DP car stereo
inputs as the bluetooth stack develops, or provide for such things as
enhancement of podcast indexing or audiobook placemarks etc as new
features are developed by content providers.
There is no compulsion to do monthly upgrades, thats your own little
strawman.

Sweetpea

On Wed, 13 Jan 2010 06:37:08 +1300, victor wrote:

>> What unsupported files?
>>

> AAC OGG FLAC (pre wogering)
> I guess if you are happy being clueless you don't get the option and
> stick with what you bought.

I'm generally happy with what I purchase as I check stuff out before I purchase it.

As such, I have not purchased an MP3 player because I have not been happy with those devices.

Cima

On Wed, 13 Jan 2010 06:37:08 +1300, victor <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Sweetpea wrote:
>> On Tue, 12 Jan 2010 23:02:35 +1300, Cima wrote:

>>> So how do you play those unsupported files without the firmware update?
>>> Buy a new model?

>> What unsupported files?
>>

>AAC OGG FLAC (pre wogering)
>I guess if you are happy being clueless you don't get the option and
>stick with what you bought.
>Firmware upgrades might fix existing annoyances but can also improve
>compatibility with other devices such as bluetooth A2DP car stereo
>inputs as the bluetooth stack develops, or provide for such things as
>enhancement of podcast indexing or audiobook placemarks etc as new
>features are developed by content providers.
>There is no compulsion to do monthly upgrades, thats your own little
>strawman.

Sweetleaf should look into Rockbox, that would give him and his player (if
supported) a boinger (being Open Source n' all) like no other. Daily updates
too, vroom vroom

http://www.rockbox.org/wiki/MajorChanges

victor

Cima wrote:
> On Wed, 13 Jan 2010 06:37:08 +1300, victor <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Sweetpea wrote:

>>> What unsupported files?
>>>

>> AAC OGG FLAC (pre wogering)
>> I guess if you are happy being clueless you don't get the option and
>> stick with what you bought.
>> Firmware upgrades might fix existing annoyances but can also improve
>> compatibility with other devices such as bluetooth A2DP car stereo
>> inputs as the bluetooth stack develops, or provide for such things as
>> enhancement of podcast indexing or audiobook placemarks etc as new
>> features are developed by content providers.
>> There is no compulsion to do monthly upgrades, thats your own little
>> strawman.

> Sweetleaf should look into Rockbox, that would give him and his player (if
> supported) a boinger (being Open Source n' all) like no other. Daily updates
> too, vroom vroom
>
> http://www.rockbox.org/wiki/MajorChanges

He thinks Serious Persons only listen to well reviewed CDs from their
favourite Classical Music shop and scoffs at anything else as "toys".

I think he is about 102.