Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > how do I filter by date/time in Pan

how do I filter by date/time in Pan

Jenn

I read the ngs off and on all day in my spare time at work, so when I go
home I want to mark everything as *read* in Pan, and then look up all
posts for that day and just mark the ones *unread* that were posted after
the last time I viewed them at work (a certain time of day on that day's
date). Do I set up a *rule*, or is there a way to add *date/time* to the
filter box that filters the headers?

--
Jenn (from Oklahoma)
http://pqlr.org/

Jenn

On Mon, 11 Jan 2010 19:04:00 -0600, Jenn wrote:

> I read the ngs off and on all day in my spare time at work, so when I go
> home I want to mark everything as *read* in Pan, and then look up all
> posts for that day and just mark the ones *unread* that were posted after
> the last time I viewed them at work (a certain time of day on that day's
> date). Do I set up a *rule*, or is there a way to add *date/time* to the
> filter box that filters the headers?

Actually, I meant to say .. is there a way to add an additional
choice of *date/time* to the drop down box for header filtering that
contains: Author, Subject, Message-ID?

--
Jenn (from Oklahoma)
http://pqlr.org/

Aardvark

On Tue, 12 Jan 2010 08:41:51 -0500, Meat Plow wrote:

> On Mon, 11 Jan 2010 21:27:30 -0600, Jenn <(E-Mail Removed)>wrote:
>
>>On Mon, 11 Jan 2010 19:04:00 -0600, Jenn wrote:
>>

>>> I read the ngs off and on all day in my spare time at work, so when I
>>> go home I want to mark everything as *read* in Pan, and then look up
>>> all posts for that day and just mark the ones *unread* that were
>>> posted after the last time I viewed them at work (a certain time of
>>> day on that day's date). Do I set up a *rule*, or is there a way to
>>> add *date/time* to the filter box that filters the headers?

>>Actually, I meant to say .. is there a way to add an additional choice
>>of *date/time* to the drop down box for header filtering that contains:
>>Author, Subject, Message-ID?

> Do you mean sort? You would need to set Pan up in tabbed view and untick
> threaded view so it looks more like and behaves like Agent.

Yup.That works. she could then read everything that was posted since she
posted/read at work in chronological order of posting.

BTW it also works simply by unticking threaded view while in pane view.

Nice catch, Meat.

--
Algy met a bear
The bear was bulgy

Jenn

"Meat Plow" <.> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Mon, 11 Jan 2010 21:27:30 -0600, Jenn <(E-Mail Removed)>wrote:
>
>>On Mon, 11 Jan 2010 19:04:00 -0600, Jenn wrote:
>>

>>> I read the ngs off and on all day in my spare time at work, so when I go
>>> home I want to mark everything as *read* in Pan, and then look up all
>>> posts for that day and just mark the ones *unread* that were posted
>>> after
>>> the last time I viewed them at work (a certain time of day on that day's
>>> date). Do I set up a *rule*, or is there a way to add *date/time* to the
>>> filter box that filters the headers?

>>Actually, I meant to say .. is there a way to add an additional
>>choice of *date/time* to the drop down box for header filtering that
>>contains: Author, Subject, Message-ID?

> Do you mean sort? You would need to set Pan up in tabbed view and
> untick threaded view so it looks more like and behaves like Agent.

not exactly .. I want to mark everything read on the ngs when I get home,
then do a "find" of all posts from that day and mark the ones I haven't read
as unread. I don't think that would work using a *sort*... ?
--
Jenn (from Oklahoma)
http://pqlr.org/bbs/

OldGringo38

Two Cents To The Jenn Post:
> "Meat Plow" <.> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> Actually, I meant to say .. is there a way to add an additional
>>> choice of *date/time* to the drop down box for header filtering that
>>> contains: Author, Subject, Message-ID?

>> Do you mean sort? You would need to set Pan up in tabbed view and
>> untick threaded view so it looks more like and behaves like Agent.

> not exactly .. I want to mark everything read on the ngs when I get home,
> then do a "find" of all posts from that day and mark the ones I haven't read
> as unread. I don't think that would work using a *sort*... ?

I'll bet there is an easier way out than that. Life is only as
complicated as you wish to make it.

--
Old Gringo
Just West Of Nowhere

Mike Easter

Jenn wrote:
> I read the ngs off and on all day in my spare time at work, so when I go
> home I want to mark everything as *read* in Pan, and then look up all
> posts for that day and just mark the ones *unread* that were posted after
> the last time I viewed them at work (a certain time of day on that day's
> date). Do I set up a *rule*, or is there a way to add *date/time* to the
> filter box that filters the headers?

I think I understand what you are trying to do, but I also think I
disagree with the details or method of how you are trying to go about
doing it.

I have a linux Pan to look at to see how it arranges its configurations,
but I don't typically use it.

I'm interpreting that you read your messages in a threaded view. That
is far and away the most popular way to do it, but that view or method
of sorting is very different from arranging or sorting messages in other
ways, such as subject and date unthreaded.

I agree with the message or concept that Meat Plow and Aardvark are
trying to get across here.

I believe that you can accomplish what you are trying to do by
'flipping' in and out of the 3 different ways of arranging messages;
namely threaded, unthreaded sort by date, and unthreaded sort by subject.

However, the 'maestros' of newsreader scoring can be found in the
newsgroup news.software.readers and they may be able to tell you how to
do it in the same way that you are trying to do it; which doesn't seem
to me to be the best way to accomplish your mission.

When you view messages unthreaded sort by subject, that subject's
messages (which is typically actually a thread which genuine threading
is based on the references line) are all (secondarily) sorted by date,
that is, they are in chronological order.

--
Mike Easter

Jenn

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Jenn wrote:
>> I read the ngs off and on all day in my spare time at work, so when I go
>> home I want to mark everything as *read* in Pan, and then look up all
>> posts for that day and just mark the ones *unread* that were posted after
>> the last time I viewed them at work (a certain time of day on that day's
>> date). Do I set up a *rule*, or is there a way to add *date/time* to the
>> filter box that filters the headers?
>>

> I think I understand what you are trying to do, but I also think I
> disagree with the details or method of how you are trying to go about
> doing it.
>
> I have a linux Pan to look at to see how it arranges its configurations,
> but I don't typically use it.
>
> I'm interpreting that you read your messages in a threaded view. That is
> far and away the most popular way to do it, but that view or method of
> sorting is very different from arranging or sorting messages in other
> ways, such as subject and date unthreaded.

yes .. I read in threaded view.

> I agree with the message or concept that Meat Plow and Aardvark are trying
> to get across here.
>
> I believe that you can accomplish what you are trying to do by 'flipping'
> in and out of the 3 different ways of arranging messages; namely threaded,
> unthreaded sort by date, and unthreaded sort by subject.

When I do this in OE, all I have to do is mark everything read .. go to
*find* and tick the box for todays date.. it sorts it automatically by time
of day ... then scroll down the list and find the last time I posted
something which is usually the last time I read and mark everything
*unread*.

> However, the 'maestros' of newsreader scoring can be found in the
> newsgroup news.software.readers and they may be able to tell you how to do
> it in the same way that you are trying to do it; which doesn't seem to me
> to be the best way to accomplish your mission.

There should be a way to add a new listing in the drop down box that
searches by the 3 options already there.. course a person has to be able to
know while file to edit to get that 4th option in the drop down box.

> When you view messages unthreaded sort by subject, that subject's messages
> (which is typically actually a thread which genuine threading is based on
> the references line) are all (secondarily) sorted by date, that is, they
> are in chronological order.

I'll give it a try tonite.. I only have Pan on my home pc .. maybe that'll
work. thanks!

--
Jenn (from Oklahoma)
http://pqlr.org/bbs/

Aardvark

On Tue, 12 Jan 2010 09:53:36 -0600, Jenn wrote:

> When I do this in OE, all I have to do is mark everything read .. go to
> *find* and tick the box for todays date.. it sorts it automatically by
> time of day ... then scroll down the list and find the last time I
> posted something which is usually the last time I read and mark
> everything *unread*.

Under 'View', untick 'Threaded View'. Pick the time you last read or
posted from work, and mark read every post made chronologically before it.
Re-tick 'Threaded View' and then click the icon that looks like a mushroom
with an envelope beside it.

You will now be looking at every thread that has been posted since you
last viewed the group in work.

--
Algy met a bear
The bear was bulgy

Jenn

"Aardvark" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:hii78c$ki9$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...
> On Tue, 12 Jan 2010 09:53:36 -0600, Jenn wrote:
>
>> When I do this in OE, all I have to do is mark everything read .. go to
>> *find* and tick the box for todays date.. it sorts it automatically by
>> time of day ... then scroll down the list and find the last time I
>> posted something which is usually the last time I read and mark
>> everything *unread*.

> Under 'View', untick 'Threaded View'. Pick the time you last read or
> posted from work, and mark read every post made chronologically before it.
> Re-tick 'Threaded View' and then click the icon that looks like a mushroom
> with an envelope beside it.
>
> You will now be looking at every thread that has been posted since you
> last viewed the group in work.

ok will give it a try this evening for sure! thanks

--
Jenn (from Oklahoma)
http://pqlr.org/bbs/

Jenn

On Tue, 12 Jan 2010 11:31:04 -0600, Jenn wrote:

> "Aardvark" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:hii78c$ki9$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...

>> Under 'View', untick 'Threaded View'. Pick the time you last read or
>> posted from work, and mark read every post made chronologically before it.
>> Re-tick 'Threaded View' and then click the icon that looks like a mushroom
>> with an envelope beside it.
>>
>> You will now be looking at every thread that has been posted since you
>> last viewed the group in work.
>>

> ok will give it a try this evening for sure! thanks

Just gave it a try and now I'm loving Pan!

--
Jenn (from Oklahoma)
http://pqlr.org/