Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Re: Dell1350Wlan & NetGear Wgt624 NO DHCP

Re: Dell1350Wlan & NetGear Wgt624 NO DHCP

Very Tiny

On Mon, 01 Aug 2005 19:44:10 -0700, Tbone wrote:

On Mon, 01 Aug 2005 19:44:10 -0700, MR. TROY "Tbone" MANGUM ("Tbone"
<(E-Mail Removed)> in the message <(E-Mail Removed) .com>
wrote in the usenet group alt.internet.wireless a big fat question of
curousity:

> I cannot get my Dell 1350 WLAN card to obtain a DHCP from NETGEAR
> WGT624. Even when I set ip to static I still cannot connect. My card
> can see my SSID. I am getting a strong signal. But I cannot connect. I
> have downloaded latest Dell 1350 drivers and NetGear firmware. My
> NetGear route is a DHCP client to roadrunner. I can connect to internet
> through a wire connection attached to my wireless router and it get a
> dhcp address.
>
> any ideas?

Sure. I know exactly what the problem is. In certain situations
(especially when using the recent Dell issue wireless G chipsets in
conjunction with the Netgear access points, an unhealthy high amount of
static impedance buildup occurs in the surrounding atmosphere,
particularly in areas of low and medium elevation (in mountainous high
elevation regions this isn't nearly the case) as I am sure Dell Support
has probably already explained. There a few ways to get around this. Do a
query of all wireless devices, microwave ovens, RC devices and pleasure
clubs (planes, and cars) and garage door openers. You will then need to
place such devices under the inspection of a valid, certified operator of
a high thermal stability micropower voltage reference meter. This sounds
like a great deal of effort and expense but any typical radio shack
employee could probably offer the service remotely for a fee of around 10
bucks or less (or at the very least turn you in the direction of some
inexpensive alternative.

You can try to use a static defusing device by placing large pieces of
Styrofoam on top, beside, and underneath your wireless access devices.
You might also want so smear a small amount of viscous material upon the
antenna and external interfaces of your laptop and access point. This
often fixes the problem as well.