Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Can you check Xtra web mail without creating a Yahoo identity?

Can you check Xtra web mail without creating a Yahoo identity?

John S

I've spent about an hour trying to check for email via web mail on an xtra
account that I have authorised access to.

Can't do it now, it seems without first signing up for a yahoo identity
linked to that email address. Am I right?

I used to be able to do this without problems, then xtra did their deal
with Yahoo and it became more difficult. I seem to remember you had to
hunt for a link to their "Classic" email page, then all would be OK.

Now, I find on clicking the "email" link on the xtra homepage, I get
prompted to put in user name and password, which are accepted OK, but that
doesn't take me to the web mail page: it takes me to a page requiring me to
register for a Yahoo identity (which I don't particularly want to do).

I've trawled extensively through various links and help pages on the
yahoo/xtra site, but always come up against the same roadblock - the
registration page to create a Yahoo identity.

Any simple way round this, or must I give in and create a Yahoo identity
(or I could set up an account in a mail client I suppose, but would prefer
to use web mail for this account).

Cheers,

John S

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, Crash wrote:

> The simplest way around this problem is to ditch Xtra.

So which will start the bigger flamewar: telling Windows/Linux users to
switch to Linux/Windows, or telling Xtra/SomeOtherISP users to switch to
SomeOtherISP/Xtra?

Donchano

On Mon, 11 Jan 2010 21:06:17 +1300, Crash <(E-Mail Removed)>
shouted from the highest rooftop:

>The simplest way around this problem is to ditch Xtra. You can do
>this by setting up using a new ISP - look here:
>http://www.consumer.org.nz/reports/internet-providers.

"Sorry, this page is only available to consumer.org.nz members.
Members please login."

Donchano

On Mon, 11 Jan 2010 21:22:19 +1300, Donchano
<(E-Mail Removed)> shouted from the highest rooftop:

>On Mon, 11 Jan 2010 21:06:17 +1300, Crash <(E-Mail Removed)>
>shouted from the highest rooftop:
>
>>The simplest way around this problem is to ditch Xtra. You can do
>>this by setting up using a new ISP - look here:
>>http://www.consumer.org.nz/reports/internet-providers.

>"Sorry, this page is only available to consumer.org.nz members.
>Members please login."

BTW - they want NZD85.00 for a 12 month *online* subscription. Which
is why I dumped them two years ago.

Simon

On Jan 11, 9:19*pm, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l...@geek-
central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
> So which will start the bigger flamewar: telling Windows/Linux users to
> switch to Linux/Windows, or telling Xtra/SomeOtherISP users to switch to
> SomeOtherISP/Xtra?

Since when has changing ISP become such a religious experience as
changing operating system?

Simon

On Jan 11, 9:29*pm, Donchano <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> BTW - they want NZD85.00 for a 12 month *online* subscription. Which
> is why I dumped them two years ago.

Or access with a paid Consumer magazine subscription.

Ted

On Jan 11, 7:52*pm, John S <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I've spent about an hour trying to check for email via web mail on an xtra
> account that I have authorised access to.
>
> Can't do it now, it seems without first signing up for a yahoo identity
> linked to that email address. *Am I right?
>
> I used to be able to do this without problems, then xtra did their deal
> with Yahoo and it became more difficult. *I seem to remember you had to
> hunt for a link to their "Classic" email page, then all would be OK.
>
> Now, I find on clicking the "email" link on the xtra homepage, I get
> prompted to put in user name and password, which are accepted OK, but that
> doesn't take me to the web mail page: it takes me to a page requiring me to
> register for a Yahoo identity (which I don't particularly want to do).
>
> I've trawled extensively through various links and help pages on the
> yahoo/xtra site, but always come up against the same roadblock - the
> registration page to create a Yahoo identity.
>
> Any simple way round this, or must I give in and create a Yahoo identity
> (or I could set up an account in a mail client I suppose, but would prefer
> to use web mail for this account).
>
> Cheers,
>
> John S

Try setting up an SMTP mail program to get mail from pop3.xtra.co.nz

Matty F

On Jan 11, 7:52 pm, John S <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Can't do it now, it seems without first signing up for a yahoo identity
> linked to that email address. Am I right?
>
> I used to be able to do this without problems, then xtra did their deal
> with Yahoo and it became more difficult. I seem to remember you had to
> hunt for a link to their "Classic" email page, then all would be OK.

I manage to get xtra's webmail without a Yahoo id. I can't remember
how I did it but I did send lots of stroppy emails to xtra when they
changed their email system to work only with IE or Firefox when I was
using Opera because IE and Firefox didn't bloody work. Unfortunately
most ISPs lack technical expertise of any kind, although xtra were
quite helpful recently.

Sweetpea

On Wed, 13 Jan 2010 03:02:58 -0800, Matty F wrote:

> although xtra were quite helpful
> recently.

I'm glad you qualified that with the word "recently".