Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C Programming > On answering homework

On answering homework

Dann Corbit

In article <4b4b9efa$0$1109$(E-Mail Removed)>,

> Willem ha scritto:
> > superpollo wrote:
> > ) Sjouke Burry ha scritto:
> > )> Productive is understanding the algorithms you use.
> > )> Blindly copy/paste googled pieces of software you dont
> > )> understand, is not the way.
> > )
> > ) curiously, a long forgotten italian writer, beniamino placido, died a
> > ) few days ago. he used to say:
> > )
> > ) "Conoscenza non e' ricordare le cose,
> > ) ma ricordare in che libro cercarle."
> > )
> > ) translation:
> > )
> > ) "knowledge is not to remember things, but to remember the book where to
> > ) look them up."
> >
> > You don't seem to understand the difference
> > between remembering and understanding.
> >

> maybe i don't. but i think the sentence i quoted and tried to translate
> has yet another meaning.

Give a man a fish, you'll feed him for a day.
Teach a man to fish and you'll feed him for a lifetime.
Teach him how to steal a fish and you'll cripple him for life.

gwowen

On Jan 11, 9:45*pm, superpollo <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> curiously, a long forgotten italian writer, beniamino placido, died a
> few days ago. he used to say:
>
> "Conoscenza non e' ricordare le cose,
> ma ricordare in che libro cercarle."
>
> translation:
>
> "knowledge is not to remember things, but to remember the book where to
> look them up."

Clearly a man who knew in which book to look things up. In this case,
if you're after a pithy quotation, try Boswells "Life Of Johnson".

"Knowledge is of two kinds. We know a subject ourselves, or we know
where we can find information upon it." -- Samuel Johnson, quoted in
Boswell's Life Of Johnson. http://www.samueljohnson.com/apocryph.html#12

Albert

Antoninus Twink wrote:
> <snip>
> If you need algorithm X, do you work out the details and write it
> yourself from scratch, or do you find a suitably-licensed library that
> does it, or work from a template in an algorithms book (or research
> paper)?

I find good explanations of algorithm X from Wikipedia, Skiena and
Revilla's Programming Challenges or watch a university lecture on
YouTube. Once *I've* written pseudocode, I code it up.

> Which is really more productive?

The third option.

Nick Keighley

On 20 Jan, 23:19, Albert <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I find good explanations of algorithm X from Wikipedia, Skiena and
> Revilla's Programming Challenges or watch a university lecture on
> YouTube. Once *I've* written pseudocode, I code it up.

they have university lectures on YouTube!?
any pointers to good ones? Or would 5s in google answer that question?

Michael Foukarakis

On Jan 10, 10:09*pm, Tom St Denis <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> People gripe about it, but honestly I think answering homework is a
> good thing. *It means the students go through school not learning
> much, become un-competitive in the field and makes my life easier [as
> I have reduced competition].

It depends on the POV then. It's good for you because you're thinning
the competition, good for them because they fulfill their short-term
goals, and...oh wait.

Another question if someone doesn't mind answering this for me Kate HTML 17 02-20-2005 08:10 PM
PIX PPTP Not Answering Michael Cisco 0 01-24-2005 07:19 AM
Answering a post kipper Computer Support 2 05-16-2004 07:47 PM
Why is no one answering my queries.. ani ASP .Net 1 10-31-2003 01:31 AM
looking for internet answering machine for dial-up.. Froats Computer Support 3 08-28-2003 02:13 AM

Advertisments