Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > How To Start From Scratch!

How To Start From Scratch!

Bob Villa

How to remove all instances of wireless networking? Because I had it
working easily when 1st installed now after it failed (and all
hardware passes diagnostics) and the WLAN says it's connected...it
will not share the dial-up connection (yes dial-up!).
It seems the desktop with the connection has 3 instances of wireless
even after deleting the driver and reinstalling.
Thanks for any help (I am very lean on networking troubleshooting)

bob_v

Lem

Bob Villa wrote:
> How to remove all instances of wireless networking? Because I had it
> working easily when 1st installed now after it failed (and all
> hardware passes diagnostics) and the WLAN says it's connected...it
> will not share the dial-up connection (yes dial-up!).
> It seems the desktop with the connection has 3 instances of wireless
> even after deleting the driver and reinstalling.
> Thanks for any help (I am very lean on networking troubleshooting)
>
> bob_v

Please restate your problem with greater clarity.

What you seem to be saying is that you have a desktop computer with a
dial-up Internet connection and are attempting to share that connection
wirelessly. Is this correct?

What version of Windows are you using (on how many computers)?

What do you mean by "three instances of wireless"?

What driver did you uninstall?

What is not working and what error messages (in full, please) are you
getting? On what computer(s)?

What "WLAN" says it's connected?

--
Lem

Apollo 11 - 40 years ago:
http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/ap...0th/index.html

Bob Villa

On Jan 10, 1:26*pm, Lem <lemp40@unknownhost> wrote:
> Bob Villa wrote:
> > How to remove all instances of wireless networking? *Because I had it
> > working easily when 1st installed now after it failed (and all
> > hardware passes diagnostics) and the WLAN says it's connected...it
> > will not share the dial-up connection (yes dial-up!).
> > It seems the desktop with the connection has 3 instances of wireless
> > even after deleting the driver and reinstalling.
> > Thanks for any help (I am very lean on networking troubleshooting)

> > bob_v

> Please restate your problem with greater clarity.
>
> What you seem to be saying is that you have a desktop computer with a
> dial-up Internet connection and are attempting to share that connection
> wirelessly. Is this correct?

Correct

> What version of Windows are you using (on how many computers)?

Two, XP SP3 Home

> What do you mean by "three instances of wireless"?

Seems like left-overs from previous installs.

> What driver did you uninstall?

The driver for wireless listed in the Dev.Mgr. Syba Wireless 11g USB
adapter.

> What is not working and what error messages (in full, please) are you
> getting? On what computer(s)?

Actually no messages except no connection to the internet when opening
the IE.

> What "WLAN" says it's connected?

"Wireless Connection 2"

> --
> Lem
>
> Apollo 11 - 40 years ago:http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/ap...0th/index.html

Thanks for responding.

bob_v

Lem

Bob Villa wrote:
> On Jan 10, 1:26 pm, Lem <lemp40@unknownhost> wrote:
>> Bob Villa wrote:
>>> How to remove all instances of wireless networking? Because I had it
>>> working easily when 1st installed now after it failed (and all
>>> hardware passes diagnostics) and the WLAN says it's connected...it
>>> will not share the dial-up connection (yes dial-up!).
>>> It seems the desktop with the connection has 3 instances of wireless
>>> even after deleting the driver and reinstalling.
>>> Thanks for any help (I am very lean on networking troubleshooting)
>>> bob_v

>> Please restate your problem with greater clarity.
>>
>> What you seem to be saying is that you have a desktop computer with a
>> dial-up Internet connection and are attempting to share that connection
>> wirelessly. Is this correct?
>>

> Correct
>
>> What version of Windows are you using (on how many computers)?
>>

> Two, XP SP3 Home
>
>> What do you mean by "three instances of wireless"?
>>

> Seems like left-overs from previous installs.
>
>> What driver did you uninstall?
>>

> The driver for wireless listed in the Dev.Mgr. Syba Wireless 11g USB
> adapter.
>
>> What is not working and what error messages (in full, please) are you
>> getting? On what computer(s)?
>>

> Actually no messages except no connection to the internet when opening
> the IE.
>
>> What "WLAN" says it's connected?

> "Wireless Connection 2"
>> --
>> Lem
>>
>> Apollo 11 - 40 years ago:http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/ap...0th/index.html

> Thanks for responding.
>
> bob_v

Do the following on both computers:

1. Click Start / Run
2. Type the three letters cmd
3. Click OK
4. Type the following commands and press the Enter key after each of them:
set comp > c:\test.txt
ipconfig /all >> c:\test.txt
notepad c:\test.txt
5. Paste the contents of the result from *each* PC into your reply.

Also see the following for directions on configuring Internet Connection
Sharing:
http://www.practicallynetworked.com/...rverdialup.htm

It's still not clear to me where you are seeing the "leftovers from
networks" as in the following screenshot, you can get rid of them with
the "Remove" button.
http://screenshots.modemhelp.net/scr...ks/Index.shtml

--

On Jan 10, 2:36*pm, Lem <lemp40@unknownhost> wrote:
> Bob Villa wrote:
> >> Please restate your problem with greater clarity.

> >> What you seem to be saying is that you have a desktop computer with a
> >> dial-up Internet connection and are attempting to share that connection
> >> wirelessly. Is this correct?

> > Correct

> >> What version of Windows are you using (on how many computers)?

> > Two, XP SP3 Home

> >> What do you mean by "three instances of wireless"?

> > Seems like left-overs from previous installs.

> >> What driver did you uninstall?

> > The driver for wireless listed in the Dev.Mgr. Syba Wireless 11g USB
> > adapter.

> >> What is not working and what error messages (in full, please) are you
> >> getting? On what computer(s)?

> > Actually no messages except no connection to the internet when opening
> > the IE.

> >> What "WLAN" says it's connected?

> > "Wireless Connection 2"
> >> --
> >> Lem

> >> Apollo 11 - 40 years ago:http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/ap...0th/index.html

> > Thanks for responding.

> > bob_v

> Do the following on both computers:
>
> 1. Click Start / Run
> 2. Type the three letters *cmd
> 3. Click OK
> 4. Type the following commands and press the Enter key after each of them:
> * *set comp > c:\test.txt
> * *ipconfig /all >> c:\test.txt
> * *notepad c:\test.txt
> 5. Paste the contents of the result from *each* PC into your reply.
>
> Also see the following for directions on configuring Internet Connection
> Sharing:http://www.practicallynetworked.com/...rverdialup.htm
>
> It's still not clear to me where you are seeing the "leftovers from
> networks" as in the following screenshot, you can get rid of them with
> the "Remove" button.http://screenshots.modemhelp.net/scr.../Network_Conne...
>
> --
> Lem
>
> Apollo 11 - 40 years ago:http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/ap...0th/index.html

Thanks Lem!!! I got it working using the link you gave me (http://
http://www.practicallynetworked.com/...rverdialup.htm)
Somehow the ICS was set to "Wireless Connection 1" and not the dial-up
connection.
Thanks, I must have spent hours trying to figure-out a very basic
thing!

bob_v

Jack [MVP-Networking]

Hi
Are there actual Connections, or the active conne5tion says Connection #4,
and you assume that there is 3 others?
If so, do not worry there is No others the number is an Id number and does
not imply more connection.
Maybe this can Help, http://www.ezlan.net/wireless.html
Jack (MS, MVP-Networking).

"Bob Villa" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> How to remove all instances of wireless networking? Because I had it
> working easily when 1st installed now after it failed (and all
> hardware passes diagnostics) and the WLAN says it's connected...it
> will not share the dial-up connection (yes dial-up!).
> It seems the desktop with the connection has 3 instances of wireless
> even after deleting the driver and reinstalling.
> Thanks for any help (I am very lean on networking troubleshooting)
>
> bob_v

Lem

Bob Villa wrote:
> On Jan 10, 2:36 pm, Lem <lemp40@unknownhost> wrote:
>> Bob Villa wrote:
>>> Correct
>>> Two, XP SP3 Home
>>> Seems like left-overs from previous installs.
>>> The driver for wireless listed in the Dev.Mgr. Syba Wireless 11g USB
>>> adapter.
>>> Actually no messages except no connection to the internet when opening
>>> the IE.
>>> "Wireless Connection 2"
>>> Thanks for responding.
>>> bob_v

>> Do the following on both computers:
>>
>> 1. Click Start / Run
>> 2. Type the three letters cmd
>> 3. Click OK
>> 4. Type the following commands and press the Enter key after each of them:
>> set comp > c:\test.txt
>> ipconfig /all >> c:\test.txt
>> notepad c:\test.txt
>> 5. Paste the contents of the result from *each* PC into your reply.
>>
>> Also see the following for directions on configuring Internet Connection
>> Sharing:http://www.practicallynetworked.com/...rverdialup.htm
>>
>> It's still not clear to me where you are seeing the "leftovers from
>> networks" as in the following screenshot, you can get rid of them with
>> the "Remove" button.http://screenshots.modemhelp.net/scr.../Network_Conne...
>>
>> --
>> Lem
>>
>> Apollo 11 - 40 years ago:http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/ap...0th/index.html

> Thanks Lem!!! I got it working using the link you gave me (http://
> http://www.practicallynetworked.com/...rverdialup.htm)
> Somehow the ICS was set to "Wireless Connection 1" and not the dial-up
> connection.
> Thanks, I must have spent hours trying to figure-out a very basic
> thing!
>
> bob_v

YW. Glad you got things working.