Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C Programming > problem

problem

Kenny McCormack

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Antoninus Twink <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>On 10 Jan 2010 at 15:16, Francis Glassborow wrote:
>> Antoninus Twink wrote:
>>> Then when someone DOES ask an ISO C question, you don't want to
>>> answer that either - and not only do you refuse to answer it, but you
>>> pretend to give an answer which in reality is deliberately
>>> misleading.

>> Are you for real? How would doing someone's homework be helpful? It is
>> the worst thing you could do for the OP. Yes the regulars are dead
>> right to try to persuade such students to do their work or at least
>> try to do so.

>Interesting. The "regulars" usually claim that the purpose of this group
>is to answer questions about ISO C. Making moral judgments about the
>motives of the questioners doesn't usually appear on the agenda - and in
>this case, on grounds of pure speculation (the OP hasn't said that the
>questions are homework).

Yes. The hypocrisy is so thick you can cut it with a fork.
As you say, there is no evidence (in the scientific, not legal sense)
that this is homework. Just a bunch of speculation. Hint: If you
(I'm talking to the regs here) actually think these problems *are* homework,
then you are being thick as usual.

Andrew Poelstra

On 2010-01-10, Antoninus Twink <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On 10 Jan 2010 at 19:47, Francis Glassborow wrote:
>> Oh and the OP will have plenty of examples of code to work through
>> either from the text book or from the class he is attending.

> Seeing different people's different styles of C can be enlightening. For
> example, many textbooks adopt a rather less careful approach to error
> handling than I used - the contrast may be instructive.

A noble goal, but given that the OP has not constructed /any/ code,
even code from his (possibly incompetent) professor or textbook, it
seems a little unlikely that he'll choose to study /your/ code in
depth.

Had he posted his own solution and asked for criticism, he would
have gotten excellent criticism, inincluding advice on making his
code stable and more portable - and there almost always is good
advice here, at least initially.

(After that, once the OP has probably left, somehow it always turns
into a fight about Standard this or real-life that, who has a Cray
in his bedroom and why all the world's a Vax.)

Antoninus Twink

On 10 Jan 2010 at 21:56, Andrew Poelstra wrote:
> Had he posted his own solution and asked for criticism, he would
> have gotten excellent criticism

Really? That would make a change.

He'd probably get the usual bullshit about having his main() function
return an int, and not casting the return value of malloc(), and not
returning an undefined status to the implementation, and the rest of the
pedantic details the "regulars" delight in banging on about.

Useful criticism about C style above the level of minute details, or
choice of algorithm, or trade-offs to consider when implementing it? I
doubt it, not if history is anything to go by C style above the level of
minute details, or choice of algorithm, or trade-offs to consider when
implementing it? I doubt it, not if history is anything to go by.

> (After that, once the OP has probably left, somehow it always turns
> into a fight about Standard this or real-life that, who has a Cray in
> his bedroom and why all the world's a Vax.)

Yeah, funny how that works, isn't it?

Eric Sosman

On 1/11/2010 3:54 PM, Tim Streater wrote:
> On 11/01/2010 20:50, Antoninus Twink wrote:

> Got the hiccups, Twinky? Spent too much time brown-nosing Spinny?

Careful, Tim! He may threaten to sue!

--
Eric Sosman