Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Windows 7, Ubuntu and Adobe CS4

Windows 7, Ubuntu and Adobe CS4

Pseudo

I've just got a new toy - an Acer Aspire 5542 laptop that came with
windows 7 on it.

I'm a linux user (Ubuntu Karmic), but I have the opportunity to be able
to get adobe CS4 so I can work from home (photoshop and indesign
specifically). Wine lists these apps as garbage, with most people
unable to even run the installer.

Should I install Ubuntu alongside and dual-boot for CS4? That would
mean I couldn't access email etc while I'm on the windows side, which
would probably drive me nuts.

Should I wipe the entire hard drive, install Ubuntu and then run Win7 in
Virtualbox? CS4 would be the only set of apps that I'd use, and besides
which, the laptop came with the software pre-installed, so I have no
installation disk even though I have a valid licence. Could I get one
from Microsoft, do you think?

If anyone has any other suggestions I'd be grateful

Cheers
Pseudo

Sweetpea

On Sat, 09 Jan 2010 21:16:50 +0000, Pseudo wrote:

> I've just got a new toy - an Acer Aspire 5542 laptop that came with
> windows 7 on it.
>
> I'm a linux user (Ubuntu Karmic), but I have the opportunity to be able
> to get adobe CS4 so I can work from home (photoshop and indesign
> specifically). Wine lists these apps as garbage, with most people
> unable to even run the installer.

I thought that Photoshop had been usable in Wine - at least some version. When did that change?

Pseudo

Sweetpea wrote:

> I thought that Photoshop had been usable in Wine - at least some version. When did that change?

CS2 is the most recent version to get a good rating; they changed their
installer or something, and most people don't seem to be able to get
past it.

http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManage...ication&iId=17

Enkidu

Pseudo wrote:
> I've just got a new toy - an Acer Aspire 5542 laptop that came with
> windows 7 on it.
>
> I'm a linux user (Ubuntu Karmic), but I have the opportunity to be able
> to get adobe CS4 so I can work from home (photoshop and indesign
> specifically). Wine lists these apps as garbage, with most people
> unable to even run the installer.
>
> Should I install Ubuntu alongside and dual-boot for CS4? That would
> mean I couldn't access email etc while I'm on the windows side, which
> would probably drive me nuts.
>
> Should I wipe the entire hard drive, install Ubuntu and then run Win7 in
> Virtualbox? CS4 would be the only set of apps that I'd use, and besides
> which, the laptop came with the software pre-installed, so I have no
> installation disk even though I have a valid licence. Could I get one
> from Microsoft, do you think?
>
> If anyone has any other suggestions I'd be grateful

You could use Wubi as you are a Ubuntu user, rather than dual boot
(though it does do a sort of dual boot). No changes in partitions needed
either!

Cheers,

Cliff

Pseudo

Enkidu wrote:

> You could use Wubi as you are a Ubuntu user, rather than dual boot
> (though it does do a sort of dual boot). No changes in partitions needed
> either!

I use ubuntu over windows because I don't like windows, so Wubi would
sort of be backwards for me.

Running windows inside linux for two programs seems more logical
than running linux inside windows for everything except two programs

Mary Hanna

On Sat, 9 Jan 2010 21:16:50 +0000 (UTC), Pseudo <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>I've just got a new toy - an Acer Aspire 5542 laptop that came with
>windows 7 on it.
>
>I'm a linux user (Ubuntu Karmic), but I have the opportunity to be able
>to get adobe CS4 so I can work from home (photoshop and indesign
>specifically). Wine lists these apps as garbage, with most people
>unable to even run the installer.
>
>Should I install Ubuntu alongside and dual-boot for CS4? That would
>mean I couldn't access email etc while I'm on the windows side, which
>would probably drive me nuts.
>
>Should I wipe the entire hard drive, install Ubuntu and then run Win7 in
>Virtualbox? CS4 would be the only set of apps that I'd use, and besides
>which, the laptop came with the software pre-installed, so I have no
>installation disk even though I have a valid licence. Could I get one
>from Microsoft, do you think?
>
>If anyone has any other suggestions I'd be grateful
>
>Cheers
>Pseudo

Just Dump the Stupid Ubuntu and use the Real Supported OS, or are you
trying to wind up Windows users..

Win 7 is a far better OS than the crap Lunix stuff and runs far better
software and more of it..

Only Lunatics run Lunix..

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In message <hiaro1$n16$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org>, Pseudo wrote:

> I'm a linux user (Ubuntu Karmic), but I have the opportunity to be able
> to get adobe CS4 so I can work from home (photoshop and indesign
> specifically). Wine lists these apps as garbage, with most people
> unable to even run the installer.
>
> Should I install Ubuntu alongside and dual-boot for CS4? That would
> mean I couldn't access email etc while I'm on the windows side, which
> would probably drive me nuts.

So basically adapting your workflow to accommodate Adobe’s software will
drive you nuts.

On the bright side, it will probably be temporary: somebody will figure out
how to update Wine to run CS4 eventually.

Mary Hanna

On Sun, 10 Jan 2010 13:19 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
<(E-Mail Removed)_zealand> wrote:

>In message <hiaro1$n16$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org>, Pseudo wrote:
>
>> I'm a linux user (Ubuntu Karmic), but I have the opportunity to be able
>> to get adobe CS4 so I can work from home (photoshop and indesign
>> specifically). Wine lists these apps as garbage, with most people
>> unable to even run the installer.
>>
>> Should I install Ubuntu alongside and dual-boot for CS4? That would
>> mean I couldn't access email etc while I'm on the windows side, which
>> would probably drive me nuts.

>So basically adapting your workflow to accommodate Adobe’s software will
>drive you nuts.
>
>On the bright side, it will probably be temporary: somebody will figure out
>how to update Wine to run CS4 eventually.

Why bother the Laptop comes with a Better OS than Lunix and far better
software and support.

Squiggle

Pseudo threw some characters down the intarwebs:
> I've just got a new toy - an Acer Aspire 5542 laptop that came with
> windows 7 on it.
>
> I'm a linux user (Ubuntu Karmic), but I have the opportunity to be able
> to get adobe CS4 so I can work from home (photoshop and indesign
> specifically). Wine lists these apps as garbage, with most people
> unable to even run the installer.
>
> Should I install Ubuntu alongside and dual-boot for CS4? That would
> mean I couldn't access email etc while I'm on the windows side, which
> would probably drive me nuts.

Why not? pop3 or imap can both be used in both linux and windows.

> Should I wipe the entire hard drive, install Ubuntu and then run Win7 in
> Virtualbox? CS4 would be the only set of apps that I'd use, and besides
> which, the laptop came with the software pre-installed, so I have no
> installation disk even though I have a valid licence. Could I get one
> from Microsoft, do you think?

Probably, for a small fee. Does it not have some way of burning a
recovery disk? Otherwise just copy somebodies Win 7 DVD.
Technically not legit, but I really don't think MS would give a toss so
long as you are only using it to reinstall on the lappy.

> If anyone has any other suggestions I'd be grateful

Gimp?
> Cheers
> Pseudo

Stephen Worthington

On Sun, 10 Jan 2010 13:29:49 +1300, Squiggle <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Pseudo threw some characters down the intarwebs:
>> I've just got a new toy - an Acer Aspire 5542 laptop that came with
>> windows 7 on it.
>>
>> I'm a linux user (Ubuntu Karmic), but I have the opportunity to be able
>> to get adobe CS4 so I can work from home (photoshop and indesign
>> specifically). Wine lists these apps as garbage, with most people
>> unable to even run the installer.
>>
>> Should I install Ubuntu alongside and dual-boot for CS4? That would
>> mean I couldn't access email etc while I'm on the windows side, which
>> would probably drive me nuts.
>>

>Why not? pop3 or imap can both be used in both linux and windows.
>
>> Should I wipe the entire hard drive, install Ubuntu and then run Win7 in
>> Virtualbox? CS4 would be the only set of apps that I'd use, and besides
>> which, the laptop came with the software pre-installed, so I have no
>> installation disk even though I have a valid licence. Could I get one
>> from Microsoft, do you think?

Just resize the Windows partition and install Ubuntu alongside it.
There is no need to wipe the Windows partition to run that partition
under VirtualBox. You can just get VirtualBox to run the partition
directly. Windows may or may not cooperate though - it will want to
install drivers for the virtual hardware instead of the real hardware
it is currently set up for.

>Probably, for a small fee. Does it not have some way of burning a
>recovery disk? Otherwise just copy somebodies Win 7 DVD.
>Technically not legit, but I really don't think MS would give a toss so
>long as you are only using it to reinstall on the lappy.

Laptops frequently have hardware drivers that you really need to make
Windows go properly, as laptops have manufacturer specific devices.
The installed version will have those drivers, but they would not be
on a standard install DVD. You may be able to get them from the Acer
web site.

Does the drive have a separate partition on it that is currently not
assigned a drive letter? That is where my laptop has its re-install
setup - you just tell the BIOS to boot from that partition to
re-install.