Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > XPM (Windows 7 - Windows Virtual PC) vs VmWare & other PlatformVirtual Machines

XPM (Windows 7 - Windows Virtual PC) vs VmWare & other PlatformVirtual Machines

karthikbalaguru

Hi,
I am exploring Windows Virtual PC
along with XPM(Windows XP mode)
in Windows 7.
The XPM is a virtual machine package
for Windows Virtual PC. It allows
Windows XP apps to run in a virtual
environment alongside the Windows 7
apps in same desktop. The concept
of using the same desktop sounds
very interesting & good !!

XP Mode enables the ability to run many
older Windows XP business and
other applications . But what about the
earlier versions support ? I wonder the
need for XPM in Windows 7 that too
specifically w.r.t XP ?

XP Mode applications run in a
Terminal Services session in the
virtualized Windows XP, and are
accessed via Remote Desktop Protocol
by a client running on the Windows 7 host.
Is XPM just to demonstrate the usage
of same desktop for virtualization ?

Will XPM good for high end games in XP ?

How is it be rated against Vmware and
other virtualization technologies ?

How is it rated against VirtualBox ?

Will it support linux in the future upgrades ?
Any ideas ?

Thx in advans,
Karthik Balaguru

Charlie Russel - MVP

XPMode will actually run in a VMWare session, I'm told. It will not run in
earlier versions of Virtual PC, and I have no information on Virtual Box.As
for rating Windows VPC against those? It entirely depends on what you're
trying to accomplish. WinVPC does a good job within its design
limitations -- better IMHO than any of the alternatives. But it isn't a
general purpose virtualization solution for all scenarios.

Both Windows VPC and XPMode were created to solve a very specific problem -
program compatibility of older business applications with Windows 7. The
virtualized hardware inside the VM is not really ideal for high end games,
and I doubt it's the solution there.

I would be astonished if direct support for Linux distros was included in
Windows VPC, since there is no design requirement to do so.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/blogs/russel

"karthikbalaguru" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
> I am exploring Windows Virtual PC
> along with XPM(Windows XP mode)
> in Windows 7.
> The XPM is a virtual machine package
> for Windows Virtual PC. It allows
> Windows XP apps to run in a virtual
> environment alongside the Windows 7
> apps in same desktop. The concept
> of using the same desktop sounds
> very interesting & good !!
>
> XP Mode enables the ability to run many
> older Windows XP business and
> other applications . But what about the
> earlier versions support ? I wonder the
> need for XPM in Windows 7 that too
> specifically w.r.t XP ?
>
> XP Mode applications run in a
> Terminal Services session in the
> virtualized Windows XP, and are
> accessed via Remote Desktop Protocol
> by a client running on the Windows 7 host.
> Is XPM just to demonstrate the usage
> of same desktop for virtualization ?
>
> Will XPM good for high end games in XP ?
>
> How is it be rated against Vmware and
> other virtualization technologies ?
>
> How is it rated against VirtualBox ?
>
> Will it support linux in the future upgrades ?
> Any ideas ?
>
> Thx in advans,
> Karthik Balaguru

karthikbalaguru

On Jan 9, 7:56*pm, "Charlie Russel - MVP"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> "karthikbalaguru" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>

> > Hi,
> > I am exploring Windows Virtual PC
> > along with XPM(Windows XP mode)
> > in Windows 7.
> > The XPM is a virtual machine package
> > for Windows Virtual PC. It allows
> > Windows XP apps to run in a virtual
> > environment alongside the Windows 7
> > apps in same desktop. The concept
> > of using the same desktop sounds
> > very interesting & good !!

> > XP Mode enables the ability to run many
> > older Windows XP business and
> > other applications . But what about the
> > earlier versions support ? I wonder the
> > need for XPM in Windows 7 that too
> > specifically w.r.t XP ?

> > XP Mode applications run in a
> > Terminal Services session in the
> > virtualized Windows XP, and are
> > accessed via Remote Desktop Protocol
> > by a client running on the Windows 7 host.
> > Is XPM just to demonstrate the usage
> > of same desktop for virtualization ?

> > Will XPM good for high end games in XP ?

> > How is it be rated against Vmware and
> > other virtualization technologies ?

> > How is it rated against VirtualBox ?

> > Will it support linux in the future upgrades ?
> > Any ideas ?

> > Thx in advans,
> > Karthik Balaguru- Hide quoted text -

> XPMode will actually run in a VMWare session, I'm told.

Interesting !

> It will not run in
> earlier versions of Virtual PC, and I have no information on Virtual Box.

Okay .

> As
> for rating Windows VPC against those? It entirely depends on what you're
> trying to accomplish. WinVPC does a good job within its design
> limitations -- better IMHO than any of the alternatives. But it isn't a
> general purpose virtualization solution for all scenarios.

I might require general purpose virtualization
after sometime.

> Both Windows VPC and XPMode were created to solve a very specific problem -
> program compatibility of older business applications with Windows 7.

Okay !
But, How is the compatibility of applications(old)
that came ahead of XP handled ?

> The
> virtualized hardware inside the VM is not really ideal for high end games,
> and I doubt it's the solution there.

Okay !

> I would be astonished if direct support for Linux distros was included in
> Windows VPC, since there is no design requirement to do so.

So, it does not support linux as of now !

Thx in advans,
Karthik Balaguru

Shenan Stanley

karthikbalaguru wrote:
> Hi,
> I am exploring Windows Virtual PC
> along with XPM(Windows XP mode)
> in Windows 7.
> The XPM is a virtual machine package
> for Windows Virtual PC. It allows
> Windows XP apps to run in a virtual
> environment alongside the Windows 7
> apps in same desktop. The concept
> of using the same desktop sounds
> very interesting & good !!
>
> XP Mode enables the ability to run many
> older Windows XP business and
> other applications . But what about the
> earlier versions support ? I wonder the
> need for XPM in Windows 7 that too
> specifically w.r.t XP ?
>
> XP Mode applications run in a
> Terminal Services session in the
> virtualized Windows XP, and are
> accessed via Remote Desktop Protocol
> by a client running on the Windows 7 host.
> Is XPM just to demonstrate the usage
> of same desktop for virtualization ?
>
> Will XPM good for high end games in XP ?
>
> How is it be rated against Vmware and
> other virtualization technologies ?
>
> How is it rated against VirtualBox ?
>
> Will it support linux in the future upgrades ?
> Any ideas ?

I have found that because of certain limitations I have not been able to
work around (at least on 64-bit Windows 7 running XPMode) - VMware works
better. For example - if you have an ironkey stick drive - you can use it
with VMware running Windows XP - but not on the same machine inside an
XPMode session.

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP